This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Tado thermostat

Comments

• OpenMind_NLOpenMind_NL Member
    edited October 2017
    For anyone who is waiting for a good update for the tado app ... That's coming!

Two weeks ago, I discovered a problem with calling up the correct zone information. I thought; "I'll fix that!". While I was working on it, I discovered that as a user of 2 zones, the app could not handle multiple zones properly. So I thought again; "I'll fix that too!" ... And while I was busy with it .... you will understand, I think!
    Since I did not have any experience with programming drivers for Homey, I found this a good opportunity to get in touch right away.
    So ... in the meanwhile I completely rebuilt the driver, adding some missing things too. I now plan to finish the well-functioning driver and offer the update via a Pull Request to Athom.

BTW: I'm testing with:
    Zone 1: Smart Thermostat + Smart Radiator Thermostat
    Zone 2: Smart Radiator Thermostat only

Both zones are controllable by the app now... well, with the one I'm running here... App store still has the old version.
    With a little luck .. I promise nothing because I do not know what I'm still bumping into ... a few days to a week.

(tricked) image to show all mobile-card info. Sorry for the English speaking/reading... screenshot was made in Dutch.

• Just for fun... because it made me jump when I saw it worked when I opened a window  :D 

• JonJon Member
    Great work @OpenMind_NL
  • GerritKoolGerritKool Member
    edited October 2017
    Great work, top :) I can't wait
  • Just for fun... because it made me jump when I saw it worked when I opened a window  :D 

Cool! can't wait ;-)
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited October 2017
    Oh i hope athom accepts your pullrequest!! I can‘t wait to have it @OpenMind_NL
  • phil_s said:
    Oh i hope athom accepts your pullrequest!! I can‘t wait to have it @OpenMind_NL
    Well. I guess they will. They can't test tado themselves so when it runs on their Homeys without crashing, I guess they will accept  :D  I have to do some more testing, and maybe some repairs before I send the update.
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited October 2017
    @OpenMind_NL
    please offer a paypal donation button for your work i it is accepted by athom.
    i will send you some beers then ;-)

... and i hope some other peeps here will donate then also, right @GerritKool ; and @Jon ;--)

• JonJon Member
    Sure we will! @phil_s, @GerritKool and @OpenMind_NL
    edited October 2017
    phil_s said:
    @OpenMind_NL
    please offer a paypal donation button for your work i it is accepted by athom.
    i will send you some beers then ;-)

... and i hope some other peeps here will donate then also, right @GerritKool ; and @Jon ;--)

Sorry, but I don't think I can insert my personal paypal button to the app because the original developer @HellHound   already has one.
    Despite that he didn't manage to create a good working code, we have to give him some credits for the basic tado-data-import code, which I still use (and extended  little) to import data from the tado-servers.
    What I did was basicly correcting/rewriting the code that processes this information in the app. That may be a major part, but the app was still not my idea to start with ;)

However... I have a personal donation button on the "LED Ring Collection" and "LEDitor" app- store pages. So you can always go there do offer me a coffee.... when I published the update... and when it's really working for everybody... :)

At the moment I am doing some english-dutch translations to make the app bilingual. Also need some time to test if every function works fine in every possible case.
  • know for sure :)
  • @OpenMind_NL well that is an alternative way to donate. Right!

but @HellHound will have a donation too. You are right!
  • @OpenMind_NL how ist the developement going?

• phil_s said:
    @OpenMind_NL how ist the developement going?

I've still encountered some problems, but the release comes closer.
  • Update! No... not the app ... but info about what's going on.

Our beloved tado thermostat seems to be a little bit of unique compared to the other thermostats that are currently in the app-store.
    Where the other thermostats work with temperature setting steps of 0.5 degree celcius, the tado thermostat can be set in 0.1 degree steps. While I was implementing this and could not get it to work without errors, and asked other developers if they could see what I did wrong, we have finally come to the conclusion that there might be a bug in Homey's build in Thermostat-class. Emile has made a note on his to-do list and it seems like it may be solved in the next "public release".

Besides that, there was something wrong with the weather-info-icon... well, with the way Homey handles the text-labels below that icon. But because that's no dissaster, I'll implement a "raw" version for it anyways...  This might also be solved when Homey gets a firmware update.

So... after losing a few days of progress, but learning a lot at the same time, I am now preparing the tado app to work as good as it gets with 0.5 degree steps. And for the time being we'll have to live with some little 'beauty-glitches' for the weather-icon like "night_cloudy" instead of "Cloudy night"... and no Dutch translation yet.

Although it takes a little longer than expected, the app will only get better. In addition to messing with the problems, I've made some optimizations right away ... and added some new trigger flow cards.

Maybe it's wise when some of you test the app before I ask Athom to update the app store?

Are there any people who ever install an app via CLI and want to try the app in 2 or 3 days via GitHub?
  • Hey @OpenMind_NL i would Test and know How to install via cli. 

So just Remind me if you habe a Version to Test. I have only one Smart Thermostat Ar the Moment. But just one extra which i have just Not installed. Hope i can install the Second at Weekend 
  • Hi @OpenMind_NL,

I am interested in the app via GitHub, I have 10 Tado Thermostat's with 9 groups.

• Hoi @Openmind_NL I know How to install via cli.

I want to help test the app, I have 1 themostaat with 1 radiatorknop, I sit on district heating (stadsverwarming)
  • phil_s said:
    I have only one Smart Thermostat Ar the Moment. But just one extra which i have just Not installed. Hope i can install the Second at Weekend 
    No problem... even testing with only one can be usefull.... Thermostat or Radiator Thermostat or both... every different combination helps :)

jpcouprie said:
    I have 10 Tado Thermostat's with 9 groups.

Yessss...  I have only two groups/zones, so I like cases like these  :smiley:

I have 1 themostaat with 1 radiatorknop, I sit on district heating (stadsverwarming)
    That's almost like me. 1 Thermostat + Radiator Thermostat... and I have a second Radiator Thermostat in another room. Central heating for 11 apartments. Still welcome to the testers :grin:

I'll let you guys (and all the lurkers) know when I have updated GitHub. ;)

• I only have one Tado thermostat. Of course I will help testing when the app is released on gitHub.
    edited November 2017
    Ok.... Almost ruined the first test.
    In my GitHub I had a Fork from the latest version by Hellhound instead of a Fork from the latest Athom version... happy as I was I started updating the files in my Fork and downloaded a ZIP to test... Totally relaxed.... and then suddenly! Missing this and that!! Aaaaargh! Stress mode.... STRESS MODE... One coffee... another one... more coffee... and then I thought about the fact that the ZIP that I have been updating in the past few weeks came from Athom, not from Hellhound....

So... Githubbing Athom... and there it was... including everything that was missing! Pfeeeeewwww...
    There I went again... Forking Athom...updating everything that I had changed... downloading the ZIP... testing... and it works! Happy again....  :#

For all the heroes that want to risk their Homey (just fun)... Here you can download and test:
    https://github.com/OpenMindNL/be.geekness.tado

ADVICE: First remove all devices that were created with the old app! (only one if memory serves me well) Didn't test if that might cause a crash. Internal device structure is completely different.
    An update over the current v0.6.1 doesn't cause any problems. An old device wil even be partly updated, but it still doesn't work. So...  after the update, remove your old device and add new ones for your zones..

I hope there's not to much troubles.
    - Just add a device for each zone you have.
    - Click the Wrench (dutch: moersleutel) and set the zone number.
    This is set to 1 by default and will work immediatly when you have only one zone and never changed anything in your setup. If you ever added and removed devices, zone 1 might not work anymore and your first zone might be 2, 3 or even higher. 
    Take a look at the (i) behind the setting if you do not understand where you can get the zone number ... and immediatly ask if you still don't understand :grin: ... 

About the zone number: If anyone has zone number 0 (zero), let me know immediatly... I did not epect that!

Also let me know if there are any troubles or even crashes (which I don't expect, but you never know).

In the meantime I'm going to add/rewrite the README.md which is still old.
    In the meantime I updated README.md to v0.7.0
    Also created new app-store and device images.
    edited November 2017
    <stupid mode> quote myself when I want to edit </stupid mode>
  • Great @OpenMind_NL i will Test today when i will get some freetime from Family ;-)
  • works like it should with my smart thermostat so far. reacting is fast and klick the button to deaktivate the manual heating ist working. all infos are right.

heating zone is 1. i will add tomorrow ma second thermostat und play with some flows to test a littlebit more.

but sofar, great @OpenMind_NL !
  • installed and testing, 1 thermostat and 7 radiator knobs :-)
  • ingmar said:
    installed and testing, 1 thermostat and 7 radiator knobs :-)

and so far so good, was able to add all devices without any issues!
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited November 2017
    With the new homey app 2.0 ios also functioning. Can i edit the zonename? Didn‘t look deeply...

Edit: just edtited it in the app!

edited November 2017
    phil_s said:
    With the new homey app 2.0 ios also functioning. Can i edit the zonename? Didn‘t look deeply...

Edit: just edtited it in the app!

I'm not sure, but I thought I had renamed my devices to "verwarming" instead of "verwarmingszone" (Dutch for: heating instead of heating zone)... just did a reboot for my Homey and Zone numbers get restored correct, but my devices are called "Verwarmingszone / heating zone" again (default). It's not a real problem when you move the devices to the correct Homey-zone, because then you know what it is controlling, but I will take a look at it (coming days) so it will restore the changed name after a reboot :)
  • For your information:

There is more to optimize for this app, like showing your tado-zone names instead of zone numbers.
    My first goal was to get the tado app working so it could finally be used by everybody... no matter how many tado-zones, no matter what zone numbers.
    In the meantime I also added some extra info displays and flow triggers because it wasn't hard to do.

- When no more problems pop up in the coming days, I will ask Athom the Pull my corrections and update the app store.

- Next plan is to convert the app to Homey's new S(oftware) D(evelopment) K(it) 2. This wont bring much difference for the regular users, but it will make sure that the app is ready for future Homey updates.

- When the SDK2 update is done, I will look into further possibilities for the app.
    There is some more info available in the API like which real devices are installed in your account. Thermostat? How many Radiator Thermostats?... combination of these two? I could use this information for more user-friendly control of the app ... Home/Way mode, Hot Water (control/measurement?) etc.

But please... don't push me  :D
    For the time being, I'm already glad that with my age I'm still able to learn in two weeks how the drivers work, AND repair / update an app that's been started by somebody else. It might help that I feel that learning new things is fun.
    Now it's back to school AGAIN... Homey SDK2 school, that is. I have very little experience with SDK2 so far ... just the LEDitior app, which is mainly an extended settings page and has nothing to do with device drivers.
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited November 2017
    Thank you for your effort so far!

And cheers!