This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

simplecontrol.com and control of A/V equipment

My primairy interest is light control (Philips Hue) and A/V control. From that perspective it might be interesting to look at www.simplecontrol.com. They started with IP control of A/V equipment for iOS. Added an IR-blaster for older equipment. An and now simplecontrol havsan extensive offering for A/V and 'home' control (Philips Hue, Insteon, WeMo, Lutron, Vera, Nest, SmartThings and more). They support Automatic Discovery (of equipment), Proximity & iBeacons, Cameras & Alarms. Also their 'MediaGuides' are quite interesting. And finaly they are able to integrate Amazon Echo which allows control of everything in the home through voice commands.

I don't think simplecontrol has a better (or cheaper) offering.  They are rather smartphone (iOS) and smartwatch oriented instead of voice control. But I expect their abilitiy to control A/V to be huge (also for A/V equipement out of sight via their IR-blaster and database with 240.000 IR commands). It might be interesting to look at their offering. And maybe learn from it to improve Homey, specifically the A/V control.

Comments

• Turns out that simplecontrol (and many others) are using the IR-database of www.globalcache.com. They partner with companies for the control of A/V equipment.
  • HomeyIsCoolHomeyIsCool Member
    edited January 2016
    @Happy
    i'm with you.
    I bought simple control as they called Roomie remote.
    With this app and the IR adapter i'm able to make nice scenes like 'watch beamer' in one click:
    - using vera light (z-Wave Gateway which is directly supported) to switch the main power on for my media 
      Equipment (if it is not already on)
    - use IR Adapter to turn on my HTPC
       - iTach directly supported with sets for thousands directly supported devices
       - the adapters have an API
       - 1 Output for a realy strong emitter which control nearly the whole room and 2 outputs where you can  
         use small cables and glue small IR emitters directly to your device)
    - using lan control for my directly supported Onkyo receiver switch the input channel to my HTPC
    - using vera to dim the light down (if it is on)
    - use IR Adapter to move down my silver screen
    - use IR Adapter to turn on the beamer
    - use IR Adapter to switch my HDMI matrix to the output for the beamer (old Onkyo Receiver with only 1 Output)
    - show me a virtuell remote on the iPad where i can controll the receiver (all function) and KODI (using the http API of KODI directly)

I don't like IR controlled devices because you have no assured status information

I preorder now homey to support the project and hope they go on with their good work.
    Homey have a lot to do to support devices.

This discussion has been closed.