This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Mastervolt Soladin 600 - with Neo Powerplug

I have one of these:

Is it possible to connect it to the mains via a Neo Powerplug and measure the energy it generates? Sort of 'negative reading' because the plug is not reading energy drawn, but generated...

Comments

• Is it connected with a plug? That wasn't allowed they said when they installed my convertor. IIrc the plugs from Plugwise do allow for negative readings.
  • No, right now it is plugged in straight to the mains. But, I have a spare NEO Plug and was curious if it would work. It would give me a simple way to monitor the actual power generated :-)

• Eternity said:
    No, right now it is plugged in straight to the mains. But, I have a spare NEO Plug and was curious if it would work. It would give me a simple way to monitor the actual power generated :-)

I guess you could try DIY, but be very aware that this is not allow by design. The output of the inverter is always HOT, although maybe not at night... :) This is why it has to be a fixed connection to your in-house grid.

If you place a plug on the output cable and put a power socket on the other end, things work no problem. If anyone ever pulls out this plug, they have a HOT plug with open connector in their hands.... Nobody would expect a plug to be HOT this way. 

If you turn it around, a power socket on the cable and a plug on the in-house grid, I'm curious if the NEO would work. It is of course interesting to try  B)
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited October 2017
    Found this in Dutch (last comment at the bottom of the page) and it seems not possible to measure negative power 'the normal way'.
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    edited October 2017
    Thinking some more about this... You might consider some special (plastic-> z-wave signal) box that you can lock somehow. If you put first a double-pole on/off switch in the inverter output, and after that the mistary box, you could label the box with some text like "first switch off before opening the box". 

Then you do the "not allowed thing" and lock the box. This should work and if you hold the only key to the box can be considered relatively safe :)
  • The output of the convertor is a "euro stekker", so not hardwired directly. I guess that - for security reasons - it will not give an output, if it is not connected to mains. If I unplug it - on a sunny day - the leds on the convertor start to blink in red..

So, I guess a solution would be to wire the output of the convertor to the two 'hot' pins of the NEO. In a way inserting the NEO the other way around in the mains connect....

Is that stupid?
  • Just make two verry short extension cords yourself... 

• @Robebar
    Good idea!