This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved

Discussion Blog: Making RF work – 433 and 868 MHz on Homey

AcE_KrystalAcE_Krystal Member
edited March 2018 in Questions & Help
I was reading the blog "Making RF work – 433 and 868 MHz on Homey" but couldn't find a place to leave a reaction or start a discussion. So I thought I make one here.

First off I want to thank Reinier Hasper (and I guess some others too ;) ) for the awesome work! I've been doing a business project of my own last year that I just finished where I chose 433Mhz (optionally upgrade to 868) over all other wireless solutions. So I learned a lot about it and really understand what your guy's where facing. Reading your story I was already thinking about "hot did you do the listening part?" But this is just beautiful! I try to keep everything I design as blocks that I can re-use or reconnect to other possible future uses and make it all as dynamic as possible, but this takes a lot of time, thinking and testing. I like how Athom really takes the time to do these things right ;). Thanks also for the blog to explain it all, really like it!

I'm curious though if you can give me a answer/advice on something I would like to try.
For my project I chose the RFM69 as 433 (868)Mhz chip. Mainly because of the features as 128bit encryption and scalability. Right now I use a separate Odroid (RaspberryPi alternative) where I was able to directly connect a RFM69 chip to as my own RFM69 433Mhz gateway. This Odroid runs a MQTT server that I can also use to connect with Homey. I'm inspired by the field sensors from LowPowerLab and Adafruit, also using these RFM69 chips, and would like to see if I can make a connection between Homey and there products more accessible/simple, so that beginners can also connect things like Adafruit Feathers to Homey.
Now my question: Do you already have any thoughts about if it would be possible / worthwhile trying to get a direct connection between a RFM69 chip and Homey?
As I'm guessing now, homey would not be able to communicate with RFM69 chips out of the box, because of there specific features such as the 128-bit encryption key. But as I'm still guessing, the only way that would be able to communicate with RFM69 chips is if you can disable all the specific features on the RFM69 chips and fall back to a modulation that homey actually can speak. During my project I thought I read something about changing the transmission configuration of the RFM69 chips. So if it is worth it I might take an other look into it, and see if I can help with getting some DIY Moteino/Feather <--> Homey romance going on. ;)

Anyway, looking forward to new developments on the homey, and I'm still kinda curious if there might be coming some kind of 433Mhz record function just like IR has. As you can now find out if a signal is probably a valid signal, there might be some magic in having a option to just tell it to listen to a valid signal of any kind, then when it finds one, play it back in any kind and ask user if it worked or not, offering following choices (describing the device) based on if it worked or not. I could imagine you can snif our some random doorbell signals without needing an app for every doorbell brand out there. I myself also have a 433Mhz doorbell with no app yet, but I also can't find that much data about it yet, so I guess my best bet is to sniff it out myself at the moment. 
Curious on to what others think about this possible feature and its achievability.

Now time to sleep! ;)
Tagged:

Comments