This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Home Energy Cosumption / aka Homewizard Energylink replacement.

mruitermruiter Member
edited January 2016 in Ideas & Suggestions
one of the things im going to miss when switching from homewizard will be its energylink module.
It is simpley but complete.

It's energy kwh and gas from smart meter or just a random pulse module you put on it.
has extra pulse ports for your water meter if you put a pulse meter on it and has a pulse port for your solar panels.

For a good replacement i and guess al lot more people are looking for a arduno or rasperby pi thingy
It should have the option so read energy and if available gas from a smart meter or via pulse
It should have 2 or maybee more extra s0 pulse counting ports for gas and water and the logic to keep the values in a database and pass it / make it readable by homey

Next to usefull home info it could also be handy for automation.
Whe solar power is high it can turn on dishwasher , laudry washer for example
But high solar power is also high sunlight so putting down screens to block sun is also something

Summery:

1 port to connect a smartmeter and read the values
4 or maybee more s0 pulse counting ports for solar water and gas and energy if you dont have a smart meter
It would be nice to be able to configure the pulse counting value like 1/100 or 1/1000 tru homey or a simple web interface.

I would love to try it myself on arduno. But if been trying to make time to experiment and get meself educated on the arduno platfrom but i cant seem to find the time.

Comments

• It would be great if the energylink module could be connected to Homey, with or withoud homewizard
  • integration of something like www.smappee.com would be nice.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    Smappee focussus on the consumption of devices in home to. its more energy saving monitor than global home consumption meter.
    It also uses that clip on over the power cable option. The quick and dirty way and not the smart way.

Looks nice but not the simpel way to get all like water and gas also.

It also focusses itself in controling the switches etc. Something homey already does by itself.

For homey to support the energylink box would be great of offcourse.
    But Homewizard thats already in all kinds of trouble wil not allow because its like giving youre company to the greatest enemy. 

Maybee in a month when homey ships to everybody Athom can buy homewizard for a buck.
    As they will probebly loose 95% of there active customer base.

If i wasnt waiting for homey i would have already switched to fibaro or maybee even opensource domoticz because the already surpassed homewizard big time
  • Energylink and Heatlink +1
  • same here +1
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    I completely ditched my heatlink.
    was giving me more trouble then pleasure.
    there are some smart thermostats that are already supported by homey 
    Nest also but not yet in the apps lists

I have nest v3. it's not always doing a modulation heating but is doing a much beter job then heatlink ever did.
    and everybody who visits loves the fancy but simplicity of it

there will be an update for the nest v3 to solve the modulation problems of the nest and give it some more opentherm functions so I can recommend it to you guys if you are looking for a heatlink replacement 

• Eneco Toon does most of the things a heatlink can do
  • Never had trouble with my heatlink or energylink, we shall see, what is possible with Homey , en else Side by Side  ;)
  • side by side I would like to prevent 
    homey should become and if I'm not mistaken will be the evolution of domotica.  simplicity and support of the most common protocols 

it would be disrespectful :) and not the goal to do a side by side solution
  • Il agree, the goal wil be that Homey wil be able to do it all.
  • BasPostBasPost Member
    edited January 2016
    Or support with Domoticz, that would be excellent!
    I have a RPi running with domoticz and a usb-P1 cable for reading my smartmeter. Let Homey read those values. Simple and clean solution and cheap!
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    BasPost said:
    Or support with Domoticz, that would be excellent!
    I have a RPi running with domoticz and a usb-P1 cable for reading my smartmeter. Let Homey read those values. Simple and clean solution and cheap!
    looked at that to. but as far as I could see its just the smart meter.
    then we still missing pulse counting support for solar generation and water usage.

If this is also possible this would be a solution 

would be nice if we could have all in one small simple box in "de meterkast" just like energylink .

I guess there are enough people on this forum that know there way with arduno and likes.
    I can print some nice boxes to mount it in with my large scale 3d printer

I'm also willing to donate some hardware or a donation in money to someone who can create this

• If I understand it correctly (don't have a homewizard or energylink) the solar generation is measured by using yet another component on the s1 or s2 connection, couldn't that be replace by a z-wave sensor?
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    If I understand it correctly (don't have a homewizard or energylink) the solar generation is measured by using yet another component on the s1 or s2 connection, couldn't that be replace by a z-wave sensor?
    yes that's correct. some solar converters have a pulse output
    bit the most used setup is to have a abb or other brand kWh meter between you're solar and energy grid. it has a pulse output 1and calculates the generated power or in case of water the used water and sends it as a pulse frequency 
  • DennieDeGrootDennieDeGroot Member
    edited January 2016
    I also want to monitor the P1 meter and my solar panels with the Homey. During the holidays I had some spare time and decided to design my own hardware. The first design is ready and currently I am waiting for the PCB's to arrive. It supports 2 s0 pulse counters and 1 P1 port and can be accessed over wifi. Basically it has the same connections as a energylink only it costs 1/10th of the price and has wifi :wink: 

After I verified the design I will make the hardware open-source. The only thing that is missing is a decent housing, but maybe @mruiter can help me out with that :blush: .

I attached a picture of the PCB design, the size is 5x5cm.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    Just let me know. Maybee you have a cool logo for lets say a lightning bolt or something else.

2 s0 en 1 p1 is exactly the thing to fase out the energylink.
    What are the dimensions . the round i could get from the pcb design, but what height are you looking for.

And are there leds on the pcb ? guess there are or are they attached with wires
  • The height will depend on the s0 connectors I will use. I think this will be around 1.5-2cm. There are 2 leds mounted on the board itself, 1 is for power and the other is programmable. The emitted light of the 2 leds is separated by the connectors so a simple hole in the housing is probably enough.
  • Dying to know, what controller chip are you using.
    Did micro electronics as education, but that was in the time micro electronics was in the 8 bit 64 kb memory time. Didnt keep up with the works but understand the basics.
    As said im trying to find some spare time to get is the whole arduno age but i guess it will never come
  • @denniedegroot @mruiter Nice! That looks prommissing!

Dennie, you mention PCB's, are you planning on making them available (for Sale) either just the PCB or fully build?
  • @denniedegroot @mruiter Nice! That looks prommissing!

Dennie, you mention PCB's, are you planning on making them available (for Sale) either just the PCB or fully build?
    respects all for DaneeDeKruyff. 

if I do a case it's the simplest of things compared to the pcb  and design ;)
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    the open design of homey is already showing more innovation then has ever been in the homewizard community. 

they did a good thing making it able for users to do stuff.

if it's keeps up being all that has been predicted it will be massive.

we will know when homey gets shipped to the masses is the next week's 

• @mruiter Make a hole in the back of the case so it can be hanged.  
  • DennieDeGrootDennieDeGroot Member
    edited January 2016
    @mruiter The microcontroller is a esp8266. I am programming it in plain C but you can also program it with the Arduino SDK!

@DaneeDeKruyff I do not have plans to sell them, but if it works maybe I could make a few for Homey users. The hardware design however will be open-source so anyone can order the parts needed.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    I think I will have a busy week this week with some difficult migrations , is that pic something you had in mind or just draw something basic with pen and paper for me will you ?
    then if I have some spare time this week I'll whip something up.
    if you could put some red dots where te Leds are on the pcb I will make the holes

on the top of the pcb I guess is a normal jack 12v male adapter bus for a adapter female jack ?
    on the button is left and right a green bus like print kroonsteen and in the middle a ethernet jack 
    ?

if you would prefer to do this private instead of in this forum my mail is mruiter@tuxweb.nl 
  • Yes let's do this by mail. I will send you a mail.
  • @DennieDeGroot just a question, no idea if this is easy or not, but could this also be designed with a ethernet connection, preferably with Power over Ethernet to power it?
  • @DennieDeGroot just a question, no idea if this is easy or not, but could this also be designed with a ethernet connection, preferably with Power over Ethernet to power it?
    Thats a good Idea +1
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    @DennieDeGroot just a question, no idea if this is easy or not, but could this also be designed with a ethernet connection, preferably with Power over Ethernet to power it?
    I guess it could when i read the controller datasheet, but you need an aditional board for it.
    The esp8266 has wifi as a default on board.
    Also,real POE is 48v on the cat cable. so you need to get that down to 12v with more electronics. al is posible but at what costs.
    For Poe it woul be easyer that you by two poe injectors for 2 euro on ali express and use 1 to inject the 12v on the far end and at the module use the second to offload it from the cable to the module like this http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-price-PoE-Power-Over-Ethernet-Injector-Splitter-Adapter-Cable-Kit-Accessory-51130/32552789418.html?spm=2114.48010708.4.22.Ogvk6H

But i guess ethernet is not something thats easy to implement with the esp because its designed for wifi.

And lets keep it real, if you want good domotica you should also have good wifi everywhere so you can control it all from phone, tablet while on the move in youre home