This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Battery powered Z-wave devices, potentially serious fire hazard!

RuudvBRuudvB Member
edited October 2017 in Devices
I had a very unpleasant and risky situation this week. While I was working in my home office, I suddenly heard a sharp bang followed by a hissing sound. A quick inspection did not directly reveal what had been going on. Since I was alone at home, this must have come from somewhere, not from another person since there was no one else.

Looking around I smelled a chemical burning smell at the 2nd floor of my house. Looking around I finally found the source of all; a NEO coolcam siren that had caught fire somehow.... The plastic was still glowing from the fire inside. Totally caught by surprise I went down to my office and sat down to think this over. Only minutes later another bang and hissing. I immediately got to the 2nd floor to see the siren showing fire inside and producing a lot of chemical smoke.

Opening up windows to get rid of the smoke and stench, I watched the siren from a distance. This was appropriate action since the siren was on a brick wall and nothing close by that could get on fire. Afterwards when the fire seemed out, I got to google to find out more.

This is what came up:
1. Lithium Ion batteries as used in cameras and other devices (like the siren) are considered to be risky products.
2. When more then a single battery is used, or used in series like in the siren, there are serious risks.

This is definitely not my field of expertise, but I found out there are special anti fire bags to be use for storage and transport of these batteries... From what I think now, somehow there must have been a mismatch between the (original) batteries that initiated this mishap. First one exploded and got on fire which secondly initiated the same behavior for the other battery.

Since I was at home when this happened and could have taken more actions if necessary, things turned out fine after-all. But, when not at home, when such a device is close to stuff that would easily caught fire.... What might have happened then?

This is not about blaming NEO coolcam or others, but I consider this serious fire hazards of which we all should be aware of I believe.

Has anyone experienced similar things?

Comments

• MarcelKuijperMarcelKuijper Member
    edited October 2017
    Zo dan, dat is niet best maar goed dat hij niet op een houten ondergrond hing..

Deze producten zijn niet voor niets zo goedkoop blijkt maar, ik hou het voorlopig even op fibaro.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited October 2017
    Dont forget you are using small miniture bombs as power for the devices.

The package did exactly what it was designed to do and tested for. It containt the explosion from the battery and kept the fire containt. So mission well done.

Every Z-Wave battery powered device is a mini bomb. They dont go off that often but any small surface damage can make the package weak. Even a tiny scratch will let air in the package eventually causing a chain reaction.

Did you hang it on a screw and not used the sticker that was supplied ?
    Then i guess the screw had a sharp edge and damaged the battery casing.

Lipo. Lithium ... Very dangerous and not know by people that dont read the whole manual and all warnings.

Did you guys already forget iPhone and Samsung Note gate ?
    Or those nice blown away faces that go arround on Facebook and vkmag . E-smokers need a lot of power and also use lithium

Just take really good care of youre batterys and all wil be ok. 
    But theres Always a chance

• zshfzshf Member
    edited October 2017
    Had similar issue few days ago when my daughters battery powered (regular AA 1.5v) decorative light went bananas. Same thing there, it was a small "bang", hissing noise and some kind of fluid coming out of one of the batteries.

No fire or anything like that, but I was also home and could react in time. If left unattended, I guess it could get hairy :(
  • But to be honost: It's all about ALL battery powered devices. Not just the Z-wave devices aye?
  • mruiter said:
    Dont forget you are using small miniture bombs as power for the devices.

The package did exactly what it was designed to do and tested for. It containt the explosion from the battery and kept the fire containt. So mission well done.
    Interesting theory... Are these really design requirements or is this an assumption? One would hope by design, but it makes me wonder.....
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    edited October 2017
    But to be honost: It's all about ALL battery powered devices. Not just the Z-wave devices aye?
    As from what I understand at this time, not all battery powered devices only the ones that use Lithium Ion or LiPo. I have never heard about simple carbon penlites exploding.

It is a real contradiction, the cure seems worse then the decease. The siren is part of an alarm system; for security reasons... 
  • zshf said:
    Had similar issue few days ago when my daughters battery powered (regular AA 1.5v) decorative light went bananas. Same thing there, it was a small "bang", hissing noise and some kind of fluid coming out of one of the batteries.

No fire or anything like that, but I was also home and could react in time. If left unattended, I guess it could get hairy :(
    Are you sure they were "regular" AA batteries? Not Lithium Ion? Although I would not know why to use very high powered batteries in a decorative light... Though many older camera's use them.
  • mruiter said:
    Every Z-Wave battery powered device is a mini bomb. They dont go off that often but any small surface damage can make the package weak. Even a tiny scratch will let air in the package eventually causing a chain reaction.

Did you hang it on a screw and not used the sticker that was supplied ?
    Then i guess the screw had a sharp edge and damaged the battery casing.
    This one was mounted by the self adhesive sticker that was supplied. There was totally no reason for this reaction, at least no obvious one. The last time the siren was activated was several days ago.
  • RuudvB said:
    zshf said:

Are you sure they were "regular" AA batteries? Not Lithium Ion? Although I would not know why to use very high powered batteries in a decorative light... Though many older camera's use them.
    Yeah 100% sure I put them in :)
    Never seen that happen before on those at least that I've noticed. 

• danonedanone Member
    edited October 2017
    Wow! That is bad, even if the whole story finished well, it is bad. What an irony, a device that supposed to help you know when there is a fire... ended up on fire caused by itself. (well, by its batteries) My company imports from Europe PLCs and some have a small CR2032 battery for memory retention. Aviation regulation, they must be declared as having Lithium batteries and then they put them in special bags no more than a certain number of them per bag.
    Anyway, I try having all my devices powered from the mains, cannot get around with the door/sensors and the Fibaro multisensors.
    I think if I show this post to my wife she'll ban all the Fibaro battery powered devices. And my home automation entirely! Here down under in Oz most of the houses are made of timber and plasterboard unlike Europe where nice solid bricks and concrete.
    Thanks for sharing this @RuudvB good to learn that it can happen right under our nose.
  • danone said:
    Wow! That is bad, even if the whole story finished well, it is bad. What an irony, a device that supposed to help you know when there is a fire... ended up on fire caused by itself. (well, by its batteries) My company imports from Europe PLCs and some have a small CR2032 battery for memory retention. Aviation regulation, they must be declared as having Lithium batteries and then they put them in special bags no more than a certain number of them per bag.
    Anyway, I try having all my devices powered from the mains, cannot get around with the door/sensors and the Fibaro multisensors.
    I think if I show this post to my wife she'll ban all the Fibaro battery powered devices. And my home automation entirely! Here down under in Oz most of the houses are made of timber and plasterboard unlike Europe where nice solid bricks and concrete.
    Thanks for sharing this @RuudvB good to learn that it can happen right under our nose.
    I did some more reading on this. As far as it is any "good" news, most incidents tend to have more than 1 single battery in use. It seems that especially the voltage/amp difference between batteries in series might be a serious cause.

Although I have no idea how these differences appear, since both batteries were started use at the same time, maybe the chemicals destabilize somehow. When differences appear the batteries seem to try to compensate this between them. Many times this is considered to be the cause that starts a chain reaction.

The "good" thing is, that most battery powered z-wave device only hold 1 single battery. This of course is no guarantee that these issues do not occur, but from the above one might conclude the risk being less at least....
  • What was the brand of the battery in it? 

While I am willing to buy neo coolcam I would NEVER use the batteries they ship. They go directly to the chemical waste disposal. 

• Just take really good care of youre batterys and all wil be ok. 

That is NOT a fair comment. If the design is okay the battery housing is separated from the mounting, in fact that is mandatory for EEC labels etc. And it was the case in this design. 

There was nothing Ruud could have done to prevent this other than buying a brand that does not include 99 cent batteries.  Suggesting anything else is wrong. A cheapo battery can blowout even if it is treated absolutely perfect.

• Well, it's not just the "cheapo" battery's blowing.
  • hmmm maybe I should buy some decent batteries and change them all..
  • Mathijs said:
    What was the brand of the battery in it? 

While I am willing to buy neo coolcam I would NEVER use the batteries they ship. They go directly to the chemical waste disposal. 
    Unknown, they are unrecognizable. 

Why do you oppose the standard supplied batteries? For me they are part of the product which I expect to be regular quality. After my recent experience, I might change this "simple thinking" :)

How do I know what batteries do not suffer these issues....? What are good or better quality batteries? Are they guaranteed not to explode..?
  • Well, it's not just the "cheapo" battery's blowing.
    This is what comes creeping up.... Few years ago there have been tests with standard batteries, not about risk only concerning performance. As I remember the well known brands did not do very well, there were differences in 5-10 times the performance. The ultimate winner were the Ikea batteries.... I would never have guessed.

Although the above is about performance, are there specific safety tests around that show serious difference between brands?

Few months ago I bought several replacement batteries which I have not used yet. The brand is PK-cell, to be exact: http://pkcell.com/index.php?m=content&a=index&classid=34&id=47

Are they any good? How risky are they? 
  • You will never know if these if these are any good. And if you get hardware that comes directly from China and is not regulated or checked in any way you simply take a risk. Let's be honest Neo Coolcam is not a world brand and it seems to take a lot of 'inspiration' from other brands. 

I bought 8 sensors from them, 2 of them were defective and 1 had a battery that was clearly already bulging. I can't tell you what brand it was (had only chinese on it) because as said I removed them immediately and replaced them with Panasonics. 

As is again proven here you should not trust things you can't read.
  • Mathijs said:

As is again proven here you should not trust things you can't read.
    Good point :)
  • zimbrazimbra Member
    edited October 2017
    I ordered some Duracell batteries yesterday, will change them tonight, €2.25 a piece (I ordered 10)
    https://www.batterygenius.be/duracell-lithium-cr123a-3v-lithium-bulk