This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed Solved

When will a standalone camera or webcam work with Homey

LuukvDLuukvD Member
edited July 2017 in Archive
Hi, 

I bought a Homey a while ago because it looked like it was easy, and supporting basicly everything. Most things are easy, and most things do work. Just one thing is not working for me, and it's really annoying me. I just want a photo made by my Foscam cam's being send to my phone when my Fibaro motion sensor or Fibaro door sensor is triggered. 

Seems easy enough, right? 

I don't have a Synology NAS.

Can anyone in normal Dutch or English please explain to me what I have to do, what I have to install, and which flows I have to create? How can Homey be a decent domoticadevice if it doesn't support camera's? 

And now I am here anyway; how hard is it to implement a 'battery empty' app, so I dont have to create 20 flows? Thats really user unfriendly. 

One thing which did suprise me is how stable the Homey is.. 0 chrashes, that's really worth a compliment! :) 

Tagged:

Comments

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited July 2017
    @LuukvD About your first question, in 1.5  is a image token wich could be used by camera's/apps (wich is mentioned in this software update from Athom). So that need some time to come to stable and for developers to make use of it. So short said camera's are not yet supported. See what is supported by Homey can be done at the Athom website, app store and https://www.talkswithhomey.com/

Your second question is already solved by @swttt who made the blowfish app but this app will never come to the app store because Athom build this into the core at 1.5 after @swttt submitted his app to Athom (dutch link with more information -> https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/51944583#51944583 ) So with 1.5 you just need one flow to do this :)  If you are a little handy you can already do this by installing the blowfish app by CLI

1.5 is at this moment in developer preview and will come to experimental soon, after that it will become stable as mentioned by Athom in the software updates

Modbreak:
    Changed the topic title so the question is more clear when people search for camera/webcam

• LuukvDLuukvD Member
    I am not handy at all.. :D That's why I bought a Homey. 

And the Talks with Homey website is a bit empty without any camera's.. 

I'll be a bit more patient and wait for 1.5 to be stable and released. Thanks! 
  • LuukvD said:
    I am not handy at all.. :D That's why I bought a Homey. 

And the Talks with Homey website is a bit empty without any camera's.. 

I'll be a bit more patient and wait for 1.5 to be stable and released. Thanks! 
    Athom just make the core where you can connect devices that connect by api/web, 433/868, IR, zwave etc but they will not make apps for everything that is up to the community/developers because it's not possible for Athom to make apps for every device, if they do that they won't have time to develop Homey. You can compare it with your smartphone, every company / developer can extent the functionality by an app.
  • jordenjorden Member
    @LuukvD Try to find if your camera has a screenshot/snapshot URL that provides a JPEG file. It probably has, see https://www.ispyconnect.com/man.aspx?n=foscam

Input that URL into https://apps.athom.com/app/image.grabber and you can grab a screenshot, it gets put into an image token and there is a card for the "Where" column that has the image token available.

From then on you can use the EMail-sender or Telegram app to send your Image token by mail or Telegram.
  • Well, I bought a Synology and have got Surveillance station running. 
  • SO, I have to create somehow a URL, import that, use Telegram (????) to send a Token by Mail? 

I mean.. WHAT! 

That's not userfriendly AT ALL. That's hardcore. 
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited September 2017
    LuukvD said:
    SO, I have to create somehow a URL, import that, use Telegram (????) to send a Token by Mail? 

I mean.. WHAT! 

Well camera's are official not yet supported :) Athom made a default image token since 1.5 to make a start for this but apps need to be rewritten to make use of it. Show some (L) for the developers that are making the apps for you that makes your expierence with homey so much better :) 
  • Still waiting for the day the Homey supports IP camera's. 
  • Still one unique smelling salad!
  • LuukvD said:
    SO, I have to create somehow a URL, import that, use Telegram (????) to send a Token by Mail? 

I mean.. WHAT! 

You should use either Telegram or Mail, not both :) And the URL is not required if you use a snapshot with Synology (and if that still works... that app also needs some work)

Soon I hope to be able to work on an update so you can also send the picture to your phone using the Homey app.
This discussion has been closed.