This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Spotify via chromecast

Very simple request,

Make spotify via chromecast possible. Currently it can only be done via sonos. My ipad can play spotify more easily via chromecast without extra costs. 

Comments

• Spotify is limiting the use for Athom so the problems is not Athom but Spotify. If you use the search function on this forum you can find more information about it 
  • I second that request. This was one of the primary promises far before Homey was actually produced. I backed the project for this. And als Athom says;

"Homey connects all things, so it also connects all your music platforms to all your speakers. This means you can play music from services such as Spotify, Google Play Music en Soundcloud on playback devices such as Chromecast, Sonos, Heos and the AUX line-out."

• Thats not treu to be onest. The way athom wants to use spotify isnt accepted by spotify.  From what i understand and read athom can make use of spotify connect like other companys, but they want to do it on another way. 

So correct me if iam wrong, for my understanding athom could make a spotify app.

Only it wont work like they want with making playlisy from various music providers 

• xraymanxrayman Member
    edited April 2017
    I have read the big forum post (after a long seach as the search in the forum starts with allot of commercials thingies....) .
    I understand spotify is the pain in the ass basically, but.....
    If combined playlists is the issue, why not start with spotify only? I think 80% uses that one more then google or soundcloud. To me it is a nice gatget to show youtube sound/music, but mostly not usable. Maybe when i start using the tablet on the wall i can switch spotify and the great homey dasboard homydash! I will not invest in expensive sonos next to my good sound system in the living room.
  • Well, that's different for everybody. I don't use spotify but I have all my music on a synology diskstation. Also, have dlna-devices as players but not going to replace those for Sonos either...
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited April 2017
    As stated above saying something is generally for everybody from someone's perception isn't gonna work. I also use like @bvdbos audiostation from Synology but used Spotify/Google Music for the test with 1.2. 

I second that request. This was one of the primary promises far before Homey was actually produced. I backed the project for this. And als Athom says;

"Homey connects all things, so it also connects all your music platforms to all your speakers. This means you can play music from services such as Spotify, Google Play Music en Soundcloud on playback devices such as Chromecast, Sonos, Heos and the AUX line-out."

Correctly, but they said that before 1.2 and we all now the software is coming from zero to hero but that can't be done in one day. When 1.2 got released as Alpha it was clear this would be the features and nothing more, just like BL speakers or upnp/dlna that would come later.

You can always make your own app and give it a try at spotify (or end op just like the request for a tvgids -> topic)or when you think something is missing because that's what Homey is also doing, giving a platform for the community to build on and expand the possibilities where Athom lays the foundation.

xrayman said:
    I have read the big forum post (after a long seach as the search in the forum starts with allot of commercials thingies....) .
    I understand spotify is the pain in the ass basically, but.....
    If combined playlists is the issue, why not start with spotify only? I think 80% uses that one more then google or soundcloud. To me it is a nice gatget to show youtube sound/music, but mostly not usable. Maybe when i start using the tablet on the wall i can switch spotify and the great homey dasboard homydash! I will not invest in expensive sonos next to my good sound system in the living room.
    Spotify is not giving access to Athom to use Spofity on Homey (for now) because they don't like the way Athom wants to combine music and with the most possible reason that Athom is too smallfor Spotify to benifit from ot Athom doens't want or can't pay the fee thats needed for the API to use. Just a small fish in a big sea. Maybe that will change now Athom is selling Homey in more and more countries. 
  • Well, I'm not in this as a developer. I'm in this as a pro-sumer. So I'm not gonna develop stuff or anything. I backed the project based on what was promised, based on the movies that were posted with bright future plans. So why would we have to combine different music services? I see in Spotify and Chromecast two major players. Why not first develop functionality that it works seperated, and so on for other services. I understand and hear what you are saying, but I just don't agree with the ideal choices Athom sets before their customers wishes. 

I like the project very much though, so I will wait, but I hoped for better... according to what they communicate to the customers..
  • That are choices Athom is making, i can't say anything about that. I'm not sure if i will use the multi playlist from multiple sources in the future because i think music can be better handled by other devices then Homey that have more resources for it.  Only thing i can say is that it was clear that Spotify would be Sonos only if you read back in the software updates from Emile and yes somethimes they talk like it's spotify for everything but the quotes below are from for the release of 1.2.

There will be a Spotify app, but for now it will only work with a Sonos speaker that has a Spotify account connected already. We're still fighting with Spotify to get the functionality we need to get this working, which often feels as David vs. Goliath, but we won't give up!

From the start, we will support streaming SoundCloud and Google Play Music to any .mp3 compatible speaker, which includes Homey itself. Spotify will be streamable to Sonos, and we aim for more integrations later on. Supported speakers from the launch are Sonos, Denon Heos, Google Chromecast, Google Chromecast Audio and ofcourse Homey's lineout. More music apps will be made by us, and hopefully our community in the future.
  • Spotify just lost a customer and Google play wins one! ;-) 

• Spotify just lost a customer and Google play wins one! ;-) 

Why is that, Google is missing a lot of music in compare with Spotify. Spotify works with the chromecast, just use the beta app of Spotify :)
  • Oh does it? I didn't knew that :-)!!! That's great news @lubbertkramer!
  • Oh does it? I didn't knew that :-)!!! That's great news @lubbertkramer!
    jup already working. Don't have a chromecast but have a nvidia shield with chromecast :)

Devices page:

• Thats something new...... i dont get it working on Chromecast.
  • Wait what? where do i get this spotify beta app that works with chromecast? <span>:dizzy:</span>

• You will need a paid spotify-account I presume. And don't know if chromecast-video works?
    The beta-app is on https://apps.athom.com/app/com.spotify too...

• ooh... never thought to check the spotify for SONOS app :D - thank you!
    I have a paid spotify account.
  • Be aware, there is a bug in the app that is not Athom's fault but Spotify and can be found on the Github of Spotify (here). This means for now you can't use your  Echo Dot 
  • Neato, i don't have Echo's - only chromecast audio and video. :) but thanks anyways.
  • I've tried and installed the Beta. I can select my chromecast audio but it gives a "media request time out error". What could this be? 

• @lubbertkramer with the help of your post over at Tweakers.net, I was able to at least add my Google Home & Google Chromecast (Gen1) as Spotify Connect devices. Win 1! There's one caveat though; you have to stream a Spotify song while adding the devices otherwise it seems that the Chromecast doesn't announce itself on the network as a Spotify Connect device. I've the feeling this isn't a specific 

Win 2: actually using the Spotify Connect speaker within my existing flows - whoop, whoop!

But here comes the big BUT - I'm simply not able to get a flow to work in cases where the chromecast isn't already a Spotify stream playing e.g. via the app on my phone. To clarify:

What works:
    Cast "Song x" via my phone to Chromecast -> Start flow -> Song changes to playlist that starts via the Homey flow (yay!)

What doesn't (seem to) work:
    No Spotify playing -> Start flow in Homey -> Music won't start, error on the action cardsays "Not Found"

I've added one of my 'test' flows below. Can you reproduce the same issue? Or are you able to play music through your Shield without having an active stream open before you start the flow

I'm posting this here so that some other people may find it useful as well I've posted bugs in Github before but I never get a response so I'm not really sure if it's worth all my effort.. :)
  • lenonline said:
    @lubbertkramer with the help of your post over at Tweakers.net, I was able to at least add my Google Home & Google Chromecast (Gen1) as Spotify Connect devices. Win 1! There's one caveat though; you have to stream a Spotify song while adding the devices otherwise it seems that the Chromecast doesn't announce itself on the network as a Spotify Connect device. I've the feeling this isn't a specific 

Win 2: actually using the Spotify Connect speaker within my existing flows - whoop, whoop!

But here comes the big BUT - I'm simply not able to get a flow to work in cases where the chromecast isn't already a Spotify stream playing e.g. via the app on my phone. To clarify:

What works:
    Cast "Song x" via my phone to Chromecast -> Start flow -> Song changes to playlist that starts via the Homey flow (yay!)

No Spotify playing -> Start flow in Homey -> Music won't start, error on the action cardsays "Not Found"

I've added one of my 'test' flows below. Can you reproduce the same issue? Or are you able to play music through your Shield without having an active stream open before you start the flow

I'm posting this here so that some other people may find it useful as well I've posted bugs in Github before but I never get a response so I'm not really sure if it's worth all my effort.. :)
    Here it works fine on the Shield/PS4, don't know if that comes because they have a dedicated spotify app on it? Maybe the problem with the Chromecast is releated to the Echo Dot bug spotify has, but you can always ask Athom by github or support they should know that better. I will retry it when i'm home today but as you could read on Tweakers it worked last week for me on those devices
  • I've tried some scenarios. The media time out error keeps coming. Although when selecting my chromecast on a different device, like my phone for instance, I see it's disconnected in homey music. And vice versa. So the connection with the chromecast looks good and responsive to me. Now just the music part ;-)

• I have the same issue as @jimmy_zeropm, the songs also seems to be grey named like they are not available to click on
  • Denn1992 said:
    I have the same issue as @jimmy_zeropm, the songs also seems to be grey named like they are not available to click on
    Same here @Denn1992

• Mine are greyed when I don’t select the right speaker/device. Did u try this ?
  • I have selected the chomecast @Rocodamelshe
  • lenonline said:

What works:

I have exactly the same issue.
  • I already added my Chromecast via Chromecast app to Homey, after installing Spotify It didn't work for me. Got a media error. And when I was trying to add a Spotify device I could not find my Chromecast ("No new devices found").

The following works for me on to get the Chromecast going with Spotify:
    - Started streaming Spotify to my Chromecast (via Spotify app).
    - Add new device -> Spotify -> Now Chromecast showed up in the list so I was able to add it.
    - In the Music section I have 2 Chromecasts, 1 with Chromecast icon (not working)  and 1 with Spotify icon (working).

Along with this win, I have the same issue with starting a flow without Spotify playing to Chromecast.