This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey doesn't respond to any Infrared

13»

Comments

• Count_BCount_B Member
    edited October 2017
    Mine is also working, but only in 40% of all times when I trigger a flow where the infrared is involved. I have a Samsung TV and I am using the Samsung TV ir beta remote app and the builtin infrared device.  With both apps I have this issue.
  • My homey responds (can learn new ir-device) but there are some strange things:
    - Some buttons are understood, but they respond different when it is executed by homey. E.g.:  I have  a hometheaterset from Philips (several years old: hts7250). When I press "Radio" on remote  , the systems starts with the radio. However after "learning" by homey it ONLY responds when the device is already powered on for instance when it is on tv-mode.  When I press "radio"by a flow" then it activates the tuner, but it doesn't do that when the the system is off.  Strange.   The same for several other buttons (mute).  My TV-remote is completely working after learning by Homey..... also Philips, same age as hometheater. 
  • Having exchanged few messages with Athom Support the suggestion was get a competitors product , so I have ended up buying a harmony hub and that works fine, same location same devices, no issues ........ disappointing as if there had been any apparent desire to cooperate and find a solution and any indication of expected developments in this space I’d have held off but I got a very strong impression that this isn’t a priority so be warned guys.. if you want reliable media integration any time soon the official suggestion is buy a different box ☹️
  • A Harmony Hub is not a competitor-product, it's more like an add-on to Homey:
    https://apps.athom.com/app/com.jreenen.homeyharmonyhub
    And infrared is just very one small part of Homey and a controlling-method which is really outdated already...
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited October 2017
    dd3uk said:
    Having exchanged few messages with Athom Support the suggestion was get a competitors product , so I have ended up buying a harmony hub and that works fine, same location same devices, no issues ........ disappointing as if there had been any apparent desire to cooperate and find a solution and any indication of expected developments in this space I’d have held off but I got a very strong impression that this isn’t a priority so be warned guys.. if you want reliable media integration any time soon the official suggestion is buy a different box ☹️
    Can the Harmony hub also connects zwave/zigbee etc and build flows? It's not a competitors product but just an expansion just like your thermostat, your weather station etc is to Homey to expand the functionality :) But Harmony hub and Homey together are great! :) Harmony hub makes the weaker IR on Homey strong while Homey gives the Harmony hub  more and other devices in a flow when you turn on the tv :) 
  • dd3ukdd3uk Member
    edited October 2017
    harmony hub can also control e.g. hue , sonos, nest etc. and with the hub extender zwave sensors. etc. the collective package is less than a homey and I would suggest for 90 percent of people (non enthusiasts) use cases will cover everything they need. Logitec are a large established home tech company with many years of existing momentum behind their automation. I was merely stating that its a shame that homey seems it is messing about with what for me are the gadgety enhancements and not focusing on core functionality. with the majority of integration into the things that people want being left to a community when those are the very core functions that homey should own and make theirs and reliable/robust. I even suggested they could reach out to an established player like logitec to oem some software to fix the whole home media control issue. this isn't bashing its observation. most my working life has been about productising and propositions in tech and I love what is the core of homey Im just concerned it seems to be perhaps focusing in the wrong areas. Advertising IR and learning any device which ticks the media integration box and then users buying the product only to have to find it isn't reliable and be advised to buy a competitor product isn't going to create the 'it just works' feeling that drives growth. having a shiny new app and interface won't loose market reputation but product not working will.

• My infrared was working rarely. Now i changed my flow to turn off the LED ring and it works now! Not sure if it is 100% of the time. But during my tests it was 100%. 
  • I try to check the possibility to control my Panasonic heating device through IR using Homey, but I haven't managed yet. There  seem to be some difference in how the pre-defined IR's are handled compared to the once you try to pair. 
    In my example I use the NFC to trigger a flow where a specific tag triggers the "Samsung IR" (TV button) to be pushed 5 times, and any other tag trigger the no-name (Panasonic) IR "Sending IR" 3 times. 
    My conclusions:
    - There seem to be a difference between the different holes. In some of the you can barely see the IR, and in others it is quite visible. (I used the "keyboard side" of my iPhone7 to watch the IR)
    - The Samsung signal appears to be brighter than the paired one (in this case Panasonic heater). Maybe that could be explained by the "density" go the signal?
    - The # of times seem to be ignored with the paired one. That I cannot understand.
    If anyone has any ideas it would be good if you can contribute. 
    My Homey is version 1.5.3 (only 3 weeks old).
    Please watch the video even though it is pretty dark: 
  • I have a Homey sinds the very beginning. Because voice commands didn't work at all, I've put my homey away for almost a year. Now I have a Google Home Mini. Excellent voice recognition! And I'm trying to add my Homey for IR which is not supported by Google Home. Unfortunately my KPN iTV (Arris) does not have any Homey App and does not respond to learned IR commands at all. Is there any chance this IR problem is going to be solved anywhere soon. Using Homey without IR does not make much sense to me. Certainly now Google (and Apple and Amazon) will add support for many more devices in the coming years. 
  • HappyHappy Member
    edited January 2018
    Can't seem to get any learned IR to work, also not with Apps. Homey Firmware Version: 1.5.3
    IR.TV.LG App does work, but only when Homey is very close to the TV.
    The KPN (Motorola) SetTopBox Infrared Remote app should also work for het KPN Arris, but in my case it does not.

• Can someone spot exactly where the IR port is?   Is it on the opposite side of the power? I can't get it to learn anything?
  • iGitliniGitlin Member
    homeу IR doesn't work in Flow?  I try to learn for my Air Conditioner LG Inverter, some buttons is learned and works, but i doesn't see IR Device in Flow.
  • iGitliniGitlin Member
    edited May 2018

• Can someone spot exactly where the IR port is?   Is it on the opposite side of the power? I can't get it to learn anything?
    If you look to the front it’s located on the right side.

https://blog.athom.com/a-technical-introduction-homey/