This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Update the firmware of my fibaro devices

2»

Comments

• casedacaseda Member
    edited October 2017
    I had direct contact with fibaro about this subject before, it is way more deep then "their policy that it is their code"
    it has got to do with adaptation/edits/copy of the device firmware itself which they don't want to happen.

example:
    i guess we all have seen the neo coolcam devices that look a like (motion sensor in particular), can you imagine having that with the same firmware as the fibaro's?
    i don't think a big company that does a lot of research etc like fibaro wants to have that :wink:

Or on the editing level, that people will try to change the firmware and totally brick their sensor and come knocking on fibaro's door that "their sensor isn't working anymore".

This is btw not just for fibaro, the other big company Aeotec does exactly the same, even though you can update with an other z-wave stick then their own, you Must use the proprietary software, which only has the 1 device update deeply encoded inside.

the last big z-wave manufacturer (for in europe) qubino i am actually not sure. as i don't have those devices never looked into that, but i don't think it is much different for them.

So will it ever happen for the big companies?
    i can asure you, even after the message to "the other department", it will never happen, as they are just too afraid
  • I had contact with Fibaro as well, and got some (I think) positive result...

I send them the following:
    I understood that you can be contacted regarding the desire of many of your customers that want to upgrade the firmware of their Fibaro Modules while not using the Fibaro homestation as their main controller. This, so they don't need to remove the modules from their current network, include them in a network of a (maybe someone else, or at a shop) Fibaro Homestation, and then remove them again from this homestation network, to be able to again join them back in their own network again, and reattach all flows, triggers, associations, etc. 

I would like to let you know that I am one of those customers.

It is not that I don't want to buy a Fibaro homestation, but because I prefer to use an other controller, in combination with your Fibaro (dimmer) modules. At the moment I got over 20 Fibaro modules, combined with some other zwave modules, and 433Mhz devices, and other (network) devices, and am very happy with my setup. 
    Being able to upgrade the firmware of the dimmer modules would be a great desire, since I read this might stop the flickering I often have at some point during the day.  
    Providing a firmware that can be used with other controllers, will certainly keep my thoughts at Fibaro, when I will expand my zwave network in the future... 

And got the following answer:

I understand your requirement and I can confirm, that we are getting similar request from our Customers.
    Please mind, that we are fully supporting our devices using our own gateways (Home Center 2 and Home Center Lite), I hope you understand that.

We can cooperate with other gateways in the subject of firmware update, but due the fact, that there are dozens of them, we simply cannot release such an update fully compatible with every existing Z-Wave gateway. Nevertheless, if gateway producer will contact us with such a request, I can assure, that we will do our best to cooperate and to give you (the users) the ability to upgrade the firmware.

You can always try to contact with one of our distributor, I hope he can help you in upgrading firmware in your modules.

• I had contact with Fibaro as well, and got some (I think) positive result...

I send them the following:
    I understood that you can be contacted regarding the desire of many of your customers that want to upgrade the firmware of their Fibaro Modules while not using the Fibaro homestation as their main controller. This, so they don't need to remove the modules from their current network, include them in a network of a (maybe someone else, or at a shop) Fibaro Homestation, and then remove them again from this homestation network, to be able to again join them back in their own network again, and reattach all flows, triggers, associations, etc. 

I would like to let you know that I am one of those customers.

It is not that I don't want to buy a Fibaro homestation, but because I prefer to use an other controller, in combination with your Fibaro (dimmer) modules. At the moment I got over 20 Fibaro modules, combined with some other zwave modules, and 433Mhz devices, and other (network) devices, and am very happy with my setup. 
    Being able to upgrade the firmware of the dimmer modules would be a great desire, since I read this might stop the flickering I often have at some point during the day.  
    Providing a firmware that can be used with other controllers, will certainly keep my thoughts at Fibaro, when I will expand my zwave network in the future... 

And got the following answer:

I understand your requirement and I can confirm, that we are getting similar request from our Customers.
    Please mind, that we are fully supporting our devices using our own gateways (Home Center 2 and Home Center Lite), I hope you understand that.

We can cooperate with other gateways in the subject of firmware update, but due the fact, that there are dozens of them, we simply cannot release such an update fully compatible with every existing Z-Wave gateway. Nevertheless, if gateway producer will contact us with such a request, I can assure, that we will do our best to cooperate and to give you (the users) the ability to upgrade the firmware.

You can always try to contact with one of our distributor, I hope he can help you in upgrading firmware in your modules.

Send Athom your mail i would say :) 
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited October 2017
    Athom (@weejewel) already had contact with fibaro, and had the same response as I did "we are not going to give the update files to other companies"

I even offered to sign a NDA, but that did not matter
  • PuffPuff Member
    edited November 2017
    Time for @LeonVanDerRee to sent them an e-mail again because they were talking out of their ass....:)

But in the end....only thing Athom needs to do is to become a force to be reckoned with.......ie get a shitload of users.

PS.
    Just thinking outside the box.......if you (as Athom) approach Fibaro and suggest them to write an App for Homey themselves....??
    They can keep the firmware/files in house but still providing support to non HC users.

• Just checking in on this - does anyone have experience with updating fibaro (dimmer 2's) 'via' homey with a HC2/lite? 

I really wouldnt want to disconnect the dimmers from homey, connect with HC, update, disconnect from HC, connect with homey. 

• cbhcbh Member
    Hi,
    Went through the process a month ago - using the only way I know about: removing devices from Homey, add them to HCL, getting HCL to update and so on -  just as cumbersome as it sounds.
    You describe it as it is possible to make some kind of "bridging" between Homey and HCL?
  • cbh said:
    Hi,
    Went through the process a month ago - using the only way I know about: removing devices from Homey, add them to HCL, getting HCL to update and so on -  just as cumbersome as it sounds.
    You describe it as it is possible to make some kind of "bridging" between Homey and HCL?

Well other controllers seem to be able to do something like this - but maybe not ;) 
    I was hoping for something like that though, o well cumbersome it is.
  • cbhcbh Member
    @ericjanvanputten:
    Hope nobody figured out how to update Fibaro-FW without excluding etc. from Homey - and didn't share how - that wouldn't be nice...
    And I haven't read anything anywhere about it...

Anyway:
    My Fibaro devices are all <6 months old - and I didn't notice anything changed by upgrading the FW - will definitely not go through the trouble again unless I read something somewhere about some really cool feature or something that solves some annoying problems making it worth it...
  • I know that the firmware of the dimmer 2 are updated and solves some flickering when using low voltage led lamps.

The only way Fibaro allows to update firmware is when a Fibaro controller is the main controller. So there is no change Homey is allowed to do a firmware update of the devices (for now). I think when the domotica market grows up there are gonna be ways to upgrade firmware of devices without having to own the main controller from the manufacturer (read: without the need of a Hue bridge, ikea bridge, innr bridge, Fibaro HC2 etc. etc.).
  • I have upgraded firmware on devices from homeseer included as a secondary controller.

Not fibaro devices, and before I was running Homey. So a secondary controller can upgrade firmware.

If homey supported secondary controllers and fibaro HCl was joined as a slave, I would think that re-include wasn't necessary.
  • Hmm, Homeseer, I see...
    https://shop.homeseer.com/products/homeseer-z-flash-z-wave-ota-firmware-update-software

I guess another problem is also getting the actual firmware files for the devices...
  • If you look at the settings for a ZWave device, when is the firmware version populated?

I see on bug reports on GitHub for Fibaro, the firmware versions under the node information.
    For example here: https://github.com/athombv/com.fibaro/issues/208

But for all my Fibaro devices (including the same device as in the bug report) my firmware versions are shown as blank, or “-“ on the beta smartphone app. 
  • @Veldkornet The firmware version is only populated (asked from the device) during inclusion, as this was only added recently, all devices included before homey version 1.5.4 (i believe) will not show the firmware version.
  • VeldkornetVeldkornet Member
    edited March 2018
    caseda said:
    @Veldkornet The firmware version is only populated (asked from the device) during inclusion, as this was only added recently, all devices included before homey version 1.5.4 (i believe) will not show the firmware version.
    Great, thanks! A re-pair indeed adds the firmware version.
    I don't suppose you know if this will be done for existing devices somewhere along the line too?

It's not critical, but can be useful for debugging sometimes, especially with the Dimmer 2 where the older firmwares gave problems. Don't really want to repair all of my devices to get the info.
  • But the shown firmare version is "something".
    For example this is a Fibaro Plug. Such Fibaro Firmware does not even exist. This is with every module.
    Or is there a way to encrypt this number?
    The current Firmware of this should be 2.x according to Fibaro terms.

• But the shown firmare version is "something".
    For example this is a Fibaro Plug. Such Fibaro Firmware does not even exist. This is with every module.
    Or is there a way to encrypt this number?
    The current Firmware of this should be 2.x according to Fibaro terms.

True, I was actuallly wondering the same...
  • Read it backwards, ver. 2.014 , no I don´t know LOL
  • If Fibaro is refusing, it shouldn’t be impossible for someone with a HC2 to Wireshark the traffic and start from there, right? AFAIK, the HC2 is just a PC, maybe it would be possible to start it under Virtualbox just to understand it a bit more?

Once you have the files, would the update protocol work, or could there be subtle differences?
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited March 2018
    There is more then just the file, as there is also a checksum needed (not in the file), for verification purposes. (without verification it will fail to even install anything)

+ Don't you think people would have done so in the many years it is possible? 
    They even completely found out how zwave works by reverse engineering before there was any documentation public (a.k.a. openZwave).
    Getting such a file would be a cinch for those people.
    But still it is nowhere to be found.
  • VeldkornetVeldkornet Member
    edited March 2018
    I guess best options right now, assuming Fibaro doesn’t play ball with anyone on releasing the firmwares, would be to  fly in a HC Lite for the weekend to do some updates, add an HCL as a secondary controller, update and send it back :)

Has anyone tried adding an HC2 or HCL as a secondary controller / remote gateway in an existing Homey Network?
    Or is this currently not possible? See here.
  • I contacted Fibaro last week and they got back to me saying the following - sounds promising:

“It is up to gate provider to implement packages of update data for each of devices. Looking realistically not too many gate producers are giving the option to make OTA update of 3rd party. I want to ensure you that we are working right now wit more then 30 gate providers on market to give an option to update our devices with use of other brands gateways.”

Does anybody know if Athom is in contact directly with Fibaro on this?

• Don't count on it. There's more pressing issues ad there's great risks for Athom and (almost) nothing to be gained. What if the update fails, who's to blame?
  • Hi guys, I think i have found a possble solution to the non-decent working of the motion & tamper alarm.
    By default Homey adds the sensor only to association group 1. But the alarms for motion are on group 2, and for tamper on group 3, so when I add homey (device 1) also in group 2 & 3, it works fine.

Please let me know if this could be the solution, or it should work fine with only adding it to group 1.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2018
    @Secujake
    Not sure why you post that in this topic as it is about firmware updates. 
    But anyway, it shouldn't matter, all signals are send to group 1.
    By adding homey in 2 and 3 it is just sending 2 of the same signals, so it can benefit as 2 signals is easier to notice then only 1, but also be negative, if you have many devices, you pretty much just double the amount of data in the air towards homey and homey also needs to handle these signals.
  • My bad @caseda, I was reading two threads at the same time and posted in the wrong section.
  • icekingiceking Member
    edited July 2018
    You can update your firmware by Robbshop (NL webshpo). They will update your Fibaro firmware for €12,50
    Zie https://www.robbshop.nl/update-service-fibaro?sqr=fibaro&;

Hopefully this info will help some Fibaro fans !! :smile: