This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Z-Wave battery status

Hi all,

I am new to Homey and I have a couple of ZWave devices I would like to integrate with it. Some of these are battery-based. My question is: does Homey automatically send low battery notifications once a device signals this or do I need to configure a flow to monitor battery status for each and every device?

Thanks, regards,
Attila

Comments

• You need to configure a flow, one per device if you're on firmware 1.3.x.

In firmware 1.5 there's a special function for that.. This firmware is only available as experimental at the moment and is to be expected as stable within a couple of weeks.
  • Thanks for the quick answer. Then I guess I will wait for 1.5...
  • VolkovVolkov Member
    edited October 2017
    Having upgraded to 1.5 I can see that there is a flow card An alarm turned on where I can select the Battery Alarm but unfortunately this does not help me much since my devices do not support the capability alarm_battery. Only the measure_battery capability is supported.

So I would need something like "The battery level of a device is below" with a parameter "battery level" and a tag: "Device name" to listen for all battery changes reported in the system and initiate the flow if a "measure_battery" message is received with a battery level lower than configured in the parameter. Then I could configure a notification.

1) Is there another option to check for low battery which I did not find?
    2) If not, is the handling of low battery notifications planned in the future?
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited October 2017
    So you mean the "Sensor Value has changed" card that is also in the devices cards? with battery level in the dropdown
  • Thanks, I have missed that card.
    This only solves half my problem though.
    I would like to change the screensaver of the LED ring in case a device reports low battery so that anyone who walks by Homey can see that there is a warning. I can do that with this card.
    However, I would need to change the screensaver back to the original once the batteries are replaced. For this, I would need to know if the device reporting a high battery level is the same which reported the low level in the first place. I could of course save the name of the device in a variable and check that afterwards. This would work for a single device but what if multiple devices report low battery at the same time?
    Any ideas if this can be done with flows (with a small number of flows, not a single flow for each device)?
    I now have a solution using HomeyScript for this but I was wondering if this is also possible with flows only?
  • Why don't you send a notification to your smartphone, if one of your devices  battery levels is to low?
    Easy and works alway's. This way you can't miss a low battery warning.

I use the 'Battery level changed' card of my device, THEN the logic app 'If the level is below 35%', DO send a notification to my smartphone.