This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Asus router connection?

Hi, 

im just starting to look into setting up some home automation and considering the homey to coordinate things. 

I have an asus router and I note it can be used with IFTTT to send alerts when individuals connect to the network. 

Is it feasible to somehow use the ASUS with homey to trigger more complex events ? Or even knowing who’s in the building qualify scripts/rules? Eg when My watch or phone first connect to the network to unlock the door and turn on lights at a certain time of day etc etc. 

Sorry this may may be a very obvious question to answer but as I said I’m just starting to get to grips with this

thanks 

Comments

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited October 2017
    When you use IFTTT (watch out for delays) and your ASUS router can send a message with IFTTT to Homey that device or user X has connected to your router then you can indeed trigger a flow or something else :) 

Don't know if it's secure to open your door when your watch will connect to your router, for example when you come home but your neighbor asks to come for some coffee and your door is opened while you're not there because you are in range of your router? :) 
  • Thanks, so are there any other ways of passively detecting individual users presence at home to enable specific user based flows? My example was just that , not necessarily one I’d do but the idea of knowing who is there based on them arriving in the property is something interesting ... eg another idea is if there’s movement in home when none of us is connected alert me and send a picture to my mobile. 
  • It sounds like you're looking for this app.
  • You could add owntracks into the mix, with geofencing. Not sure if it fits your definition of "passively detecting" though...
  • Hi, Thanks for the replies. Homey turned up yesterday, Im giving the own tracks a go but the battery drain isn't great. I can ask Homey where I am now and impressively it reads out my address just incase I forget where I am <span>:wink:</span>