This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Update the firmware of my fibaro devices

Do I need a Fibaro Home Center to update the firmware of my fibaro devices ??
Or can Homey do this himself ?

Comments

• at the moment you need an other device to update modules, soon it will be possible to update modules with homey
  • Ok thanks.
    With another device, you mean a “Fibaro Home Center Light” or a Fibaro Home Center 2” ?

• Anything that can update, there are not a lot of controllers that can update every module

I know about HC2 that can do most, the first version I don't know if it can handle the newer versions of the command class
  • caseda said:
    .... soon it will be possible to update modules with homey
    That would be great! Currently my homey is running very stable. And speach-reg is working better then ever!
  • the question is,can you expect if you buy now for example a fibaro device that the firmware at that time on the device is the most recent
    yes you need a fibaro home center,offcourse it is ridiculous to buy for that reason a center
    so it would be a major contribution if you can update through homey
    my experience about homey for now is,it is getting better and better,but and i say but i am afraid for the point of memory,available for working decent with homey
    i should point you to the latest feature of memory on the 10.7 firmware,i have 19 apps running and 23 mb free,what will happen if the memory is full

• satbopper said:

i should point you to the latest feature of memory on the 10.7 firmware,i have 19 apps running and 23 mb free,what will happen if the memory is full

Did you read the comment Jeroen made about this on Slack? 
    You're memory isn't full, it's just Linux using your memory optimally by caching your applications. 
    When memory is needed it is freed. 
  • roger Fire69 according the info on memory,it is not full,so after your answer,can i say when memory is needed it is always freed ?
  • Always is dangerous to say.  ;)
    Under normal conditions it should. :)
  • When will this be possible because I need to update my Fibaro devices and don't own a Home Center
  • chrisboer said:
    When will this be possible because I need to update my Fibaro devices and don't own a Home Center
    Same applies for me
  • I did update my plugs but cannot see any difference  on homey or my hc2 
  • Would like to update my fibaro sensors by homey... dont have hc2
  • Emile said on slack somewhere this week that it should be possible already. The command class to update the devices is supported. So someone could build an app to update (for starters e.g. only Fibaro devices, but later extends to other brands) the Seaver devices. From Emile's answer I understood that it wasn't on their roadmap any time soon. But an app could be made by the community. 
  • If anyone desperately need a update,  send me the device ( own risk)   send me a PM 
  • Just wait untill it is possible within Homey, but my range is gone to FGS222 first about 20 meters now about 10 since last update
  • Been struggling to get Homey to function with 2 non-plus Fibaro Motion Sensors (1.5 and latest Fibaro app). I want to make sure that it isn't firmware related. 

Is it now possible to upgrade the firmware of my fibaro devices via Homey?

Thanks.
  • nope... What have you been struggling with?
  • To complement @bvdbos comment; no it is not possible to update Z-wave devices firmware with Homey and it's highly unlikely that it will ever be possible to update the firmware of 
    Fibaro devices with Homey.

Firmwave update files for Fibaro devices are exclusively available for Fibaro Home Centers; they are not freely accessible (to be used within Homey)....

If you like to update a Fibaro device's firmware there are two option: 
    1. Ship the module back to Fibaro or it's authorized dealer
    2. Use a Fibaro Home Center to update the FW
  • Thank you for the answers!

The struggle is that I've successfully added two motion sensors, both Fibaro non-plus motion sensors. The one added first works, the added second does not reset its triggers. So both tamper as well as motion alarms are ON. Luminance also flashes red and displays 0 lux.  
  • In my opinion it is not acceptable that Homey can't provide firmware updates of Fibaro devices. Especially in these privacy related times. Athom should at least provide a workaround for this.
  • Did u even read the post from ted ? It's 2 posts up.
  • Solved it. I moved the motion sensor temporarily right beside Homey, pulled the battery, waited 10 seconds and put the battery back in. Then I left it alone and when I got back from a run it worked!  Then moved the sensor back to the hallway and all data flows in as it should.

Thanks for all the help! 
  • TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited September 2017
    baboonen said:
    In my opinion it is not acceptable that Homey can't provide firmware updates of Fibaro devices. Especially in these privacy related times. Athom should at least provide a workaround for this.
    @baboonen like I said firmware updates will be possible (in the future), but as long as Fibaro refuses to share the update files (to any home automation platform other than it's own) it will not be possible for Fibaro / there is nothing to update with....
  •  Someone who lives near Leiden? Where I can update my fibaro dimmers?
  • Franq said:
     Someone who lives near Leiden? Where I can update my fibaro dimmers?
    You could give this a try.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to add a Fibaro Home Center 2 / Lite to the existing Homey Z-Wave network, and then update all the devices from the Home Center?
  • Franq said:

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to add a Fibaro Home Center 2 / Lite to the existing Homey Z-Wave network, and then update all the devices from the Home Center?
    Thx Veldkornet is a lot of work to disconnect every Fibaro dimmer and send them. Easier to just borrow a HC.
  • Franq said:
    Franq said:

Thx Veldkornet is a lot of work to disconnect every Fibaro dimmer and send them. Easier to just borrow a HC.
    My thoughts as well ;) That’s why I was wondering if a HC could connect to the existing network to do updates :P
  • @Veldkornet devices can only be updated if they are connected to a primary controller, so if hc2 is included in homey (which doesn't work anyway) is still is not possible as homey is then the primary controller.
  • Damn... thanks
  • cbhcbh Member
    Wrote Fibaros Head of Sale Lukas Tobis (l.tobis@fibargroup.com) why Fibaro won't make firmware updates available to those who bought their physical devices but not their controllers.
    Got the following reply from their Techincal Support:

"Firmware upgrade is available only on our Home Center main controller (HCL or HC2). Only option to do that without buying one of them is ask our local reseller for firmware upgrade.

To upgrade firmware in one of our local resellers (partners) you need to:

1) Take your device to them.

2) Our local partner should be able to add your device to their main controller (Home Center), proceed firmware upgrade and delete device with new firmware from their system.

3) Cost of this service is determined individual by each of our resellers.

Of course our resellers are independent companies, so I can’t assure you that this “firmware upgrade” will be free of charges.

This policy is related to that the software and firmware updates are property of our company and if we would like to allow to upgrade firmware on “others central/gateways” we would have to share this file with others company. This is unacceptable from businesses site of our company. We can’t give access to our software/firmware to our competitors.

I hope you understand it, I wish I could give you other free firmware upgrade method, but simply I can’t."

My reply to this was:

"Although I do have some kind of understanding for your arguments, I find it difficult to understand that you discriminate customers who paid for your physical product by not allowing them to update when you find errors or make improve - especially as other companies survive without problems when doing this - and it is definitely an important part of my considerations when choosing in the future.
    Of course, me not buying 25 units doesn't have any influence on your business - but I would, as a company, think about the risk that many customers did the same.
    Obviously, physically uninstalling 25 units and send them to a dealer for updating is a completely ridiculous thought - forcing people to buy a controller for that purpose alone as well.
    The least you could do was to make a stand-alone version that could be used - as some other manufactures so as another solution."

And got the following:

"I will forward this email to another department that is considering changes in Fibaro system.
    At least I can do that for you in this case. Maybe in the future privacy policy of our company will be changed."

Perhaps a lot of e-mails from customers around the world would help them in the proces of considering their future policy - and if you don't know who to write, an address is provided above ;-)