This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Randomize doorbell sound

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to randomize my doorbell sound.
I've got it running already but I want to extend it now to use 'seasonal' sounds, eg. now that Halloween is coming up I want some monster or witch sounds  :)

Right now, I have 1 standard sound, and for last year I randomized 10 sounds for Christmas with a number var and round(random(10)) in a flow.
But I had to change my flows to switch between the default sound and the Christmas sounds.

Any idea how I could do this in an easy way so I have sounds for Easter, Halloween, Valentine, Christmas?

Comments

• Nobody any ideas about this?
    I've been breaking my brains about this, but say I want to use 5 different sounds for every occasion, I'll end up with +20 flows at least.
    And I would have to manually change them one by one if I decide to change the sounds next year.

So I'm looking for a way to do <if doorbell pressed> <and occasion is ...> <play random sound for that occasion>

• How are you doing this? With what doorbell? I'm using Homey as a doorbell by playing sounds with soundboard, I would think that I could come up with some sort of solution based on that. 

Maybe setting variables for the seasons and playing sounds named #season#random1-10. I don't know if soundboard supports tags/variables - but it might.
  • MarcelKuijperMarcelKuijper Member
    edited October 2017
    https://apps.athom.com/app/com.athom.soundboard

Use this app, it lets u upload mp3's to homey, play it though homey or any other speaker u got connected.

Make flows using your doorbell as trigger, and u can set days or specific times in the and collum and use or as u wish.

Fire69 said:
    So I'm looking for a way to do <if doorbell pressed> <and occasion is ...> <play random sound for that occasion>
    This idk.
  • https://apps.athom.com/app/com.athom.soundboard

Use this app, it lets u upload mp3's to homey, play it though homey or any other speaker u got connected.

Make flows using your doorbell as trigger, and u can set days or specific times in the and collum and use or as u wish.
    I'm already using this, in a limited way. :)
    I'm looking to extend this, but the more I think about it, the more it seems there is no easy way to do it (especially because the soundboard app is very limited)

How are you doing this? With what doorbell? I'm using Homey as a doorbell by playing sounds with soundboard, I would think that I could come up with some sort of solution based on that. 

Maybe setting variables for the seasons and playing sounds named #season#random1-10. I don't know if soundboard supports tags/variables - but it might.
    Does the doorbell matter?  It's a cheap 5€ model from Action <span>:pensive:</span>

I changed everything back to my default sound for now so I can't give any screenshots anymore, but I did have a number variable that I randomized between 1 and 10 with a betterlogic card - round(random(10)) every time the doorbell was pushed.
    So then I had then flows, <if var is 1>, <if var is 2>, ...
    You can see that's not really the easiest or nicest way to do it (I think)

I guess I'll have to talk to @Emile to ask him to expand the soundboard app to include tags or something...
  • Hi.

IT could have mattered, if you were using some sort of bell-device iwth multiple sounds, triggered by different commands. You never mentioned soundboard :)

If we could get tag support in soundboard, I would create looping flows that changed the variables, and then played them when the door bell was pushed. 
  • Hi.

IT could have mattered, if you were using some sort of bell-device iwth multiple sounds, triggered by different commands. You never mentioned soundboard :)
    Oups, thought I did, sorry! :hushed:

If we could get tag support in soundboard, I would create looping flows that changed the variables, and then played them when the door bell was pushed. 
    That would indeed by the easiest way.  I'll create a request on the github :)