This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Solved

Homey Log File (are there apps that give more information about flows/triggers)

vaderagvaderag Member
edited September 2017 in Questions & Help
I found a discussion along these lines in the developer section but I'm hoping there is a more user friendly log somewhere that tells me which flows/devices were activated and when?

Sometimes some of my flows don't do quite what they are supposed to and I'd like to establish if this is my flow writing or a device issue...

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• You can see some information about your devices in de Insights part. Further you can 'debug' your flows by pushing messages with information to your phone.
    What I learned in the last few days is to add some time delays if you want some things happen with the same trigger. For example, calculate a variable an push it to a phone. You can do both in the same flow but add a 1 second delay for sending de message. Else the message can be send before the calculation is done.
  • You can see some information about your devices in de Insights part. Further you can 'debug' your flows by pushing messages with information to your phone.
    What I learned in the last few days is to add some time delays if you want some things happen with the same trigger. For example, calculate a variable an push it to a phone. You can do both in the same flow but add a 1 second delay for sending de message. Else the message can be send before the calculation is done.
    Thanks, I already do that to debug but I'm thinking more long term - some things I've debugged and work but then occasionally they don't and I wonder why

Re the insights tab, all I see is the memory usage at the top and that's it :(
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited September 2017
    vaderag said:
    You can see some information about your devices in de Insights part. Further you can 'debug' your flows by pushing messages with information to your phone.
    Thanks, I already do that to debug but I'm thinking more long term - some things I've debugged and work but then occasionally they don't and I wonder why

So wich log app did you already try that didn't fit your need? I see you open a lot of topics but i don't see any effort to search / tell what you already tried. If you did a simple search on the app store you should see it has you covered when you would search on log for example the Homey logger, simple log or papertrails app :) 
  • vaderag said:
    You can see some information about your devices in de Insights part. Further you can 'debug' your flows by pushing messages with information to your phone.

So wich log app did you already try that didn't fit your need? I see you open a lot of topics but i don't see any effort to search / tell what you already tried. If you did a simple search on the app store you should see it has you covered when you would search on log for example the Homey logger, simple log or papertrails app :) 
    I don't think that's very fair - is this not the Questions and Answers section? I had a question, and was seeking an answer... I said in my first post that I searched these forums and only found mention of logs for developers (i.e. console commands etc)
    I also replied above that I looked in insights and saw nothing but memory usage? What more would you like to see in terms of what I tried?!

I appreciate you advising me to look on the app store, and that answers my question, but why should it be assumed that logging would be done by an app? 

To a newbie like myself the app store is designed to add devices to your homey... it is not a logical place to search for a feature like this - logging is surely base level functionality... on my phone is done by Android, logging on my computer is done by Windows, I would expect logging to be done by the OS, not by some app pasted on top using additional resources... 

edited September 2017
    vaderag said:
    vaderag said:

I don't think that's very fair - is this not the Questions and Answers section? I had a question, and was seeking an answer... I said in my first post that I searched these forums and only found mention of logs for developers (i.e. console commands etc)
    I also replied above that I looked in insights and saw nothing but memory usage? What more would you like to see in terms of what I tried?!

I appreciate you advising me to look on the app store, and that answers my question, but why should it be assumed that logging would be done by an app? 

Well if you search for log on the forum you would see two of the apps i already mentioned in my previous post in the top -> https://forum.athom.com/search?q=log

But great your question has been answered, i will put this topic to solved and change the topic title a bit to make it more search friendly
  • Having now looked at those, it doesnt seem like they answer my question - I don't want to add logging into my flows, I want logging as to which flows have run and when... none of these seem to do that
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited September 2017
    vaderag said:
    Having now looked at those, it doesnt seem like they answer my question - I don't want to add logging into my flows, I want logging as to which flows have run and when... none of these seem to do that
    Both Simple Log and Papertrails have an action card that you can add to a  Flow to log that that Action card has been executed.  
    edited September 2017
    vaderag said:
    Having now looked at those, it doesnt seem like they answer my question - I don't want to add logging into my flows, I want logging as to which flows have run and when... none of these seem to do that
    Did you even install and try the Homey Logger for example before you said that isn't what you seek? For the simple log for example, yes you need to add a card but with that you can see if flows have run and when :) Yet again you don't really try the options that are given. See for an example below from Homey logger where i just triggered a test flow with a countdown in it.

Homey logger screenshot:

• vaderag said:
    Did you even install and try the Homey Logger for example before you said that isn't what you seek? For the simple log for example, yes you need to add a card but with that you can see if flows have run and when :) 

Homey logger screenshot:

I will try it now, but when I read the description and it said "websockets" I assumed something more 'external' (i.e. the web)  :'(

vaderag said:
    Both Simple Log and Papertrails heb an action card that you can add to a  Flow to log that that Actioin card has been executed.  

I feel this shouldn't be something that I need to add cards into (in some cases) already pretty complicated then columns... one of the things that sold me on Homey was the elegance and apparent simplicity of the flow editor (which i'm gradually learning is not quite so) compared to other products... 

Homey must be sending the commands to devices - it seems that low level what command was sent and by what flow must be happening somewhere and logging that seems a necessity in some way... 

I'll play with Homey Logger and see what I get
  • vaderag said:
    vaderag said:
    Did you even install and try the Homey Logger for example before you said that isn't what you seek? For the simple log for example, yes you need to add a card but with that you can see if flows have run and when :) 

Homey logger screenshot:

I will try it now, but when I read the description and it said "websockets" I assumed something more 'external' (i.e. the web)  :'(
    Well does Homey logger helps you out?
  • vaderag said:
    vaderag said:

Homey logger screenshot:

Well does Homey logger helps you out?
    Initial impression seem it's exactly what I'm looking for. Haven't had chance to fully test running any flows as I'm putting my daughter to bed, but initial output looks promising. Thank you for the suggestion!
  • Sadly, this doesnt solve the issue - you need to have the Settings window open to see things go wrong, but that's rarely going to be the case since things happen at random intervals...
  • vaderag said:
    Sadly, this doesnt solve the issue - you need to have the Settings window open to see things go wrong, but that's rarely going to be the case since things happen at random intervals...
    Then the other apps are good to use, you only need to add a card in the then (simple log for example) and you can put anything in it from tags t o text but it's a way to monitor and control :)
  • Is there really no native log? This seems crazy... I've never come across a system that doesn't log what actions are taken in some manner... I don't particularly want to clutter up all my flows (alI use notifications on my phone too check things as I'm setting them up, but then remove once apparently working so as not to have the clutter)

The other and main issue with that is that you'd need to add log cards to every single action. 
    Let's use last night's example. I have a flow that turns on a Hue Bulb, a Lightwave Switch and says "reticulating splines" when it happens.
    I know it's happening as homey talks and 99% of the time it works as expected. Last night however the Lightwave Switch didn't turn off. I can debug to my heart's content and it works. I don't need a log card as it will only serve the same purpose of the voice.

What I do need is a way to look at what homey did, in that particular instance, to debug whether it got caught up on something so didn't send the command (maybe the status was misread), it did send the command but it wasn't receved etc

That's a simplified example, others are obviously more complex and even harder to debug, but you need a way to see what has happened, posthumously...
  • There is no other log, would be too much information, there's fulltime communications going around. Therefore there's multiple ways to make your own choice of logging as @lubbertkramer already pointed out. For google's search-engine's sake:
    https://apps.athom.com/app/gov.nsa.logger
    https://apps.athom.com/app/nl.nielsdeklerk.log
    https://apps.athom.com/app/nu.dijker.papertrails
    also: system-settings-zwave
  • bvdbos said:
    There is no other log, would be too much information, there's fulltime communications going around. Therefore there's multiple ways to make your own choice of logging as @lubbertkramer already pointed out. For google's search-engine's sake:
    Oh well, I'm baffled. I just can't believe I'm the only person that thinks this is an issue
    The main time you want to check what's going on (unless you're a developer) is when something occurs that is not expected and not predictable. All of those solutions require a crystal ball...

I can't see how logging can be an issue - I've seen what's going on using homey logger and it's not crazy amounts - presumably that is all coming from homey core somewhere. It's only a text file!
    edited September 2017
    vaderag said:
    bvdbos said:
    There is no other log, would be too much information, there's fulltime communications going around. Therefore there's multiple ways to make your own choice of logging as @lubbertkramer already pointed out. For google's search-engine's sake:
    Oh well, I'm baffled. I just can't believe I'm the only person that thinks this is an issue
    The main time you want to check what's going on (unless you're a developer) is when something occurs that is not expected and not predictable. All of those solutions require a crystal ball...

I can't see how logging can be an issue - I've seen what's going on using homey logger and it's not crazy amounts - presumably that is all coming from homey core somewhere. It's only a text file!
    There are some logs that you can find under z-wave/zigbee and general log but when you want more indeed you need to use the already mentioned apps or make a request at the github of Athom to let them build or open it from the core of Homey. Athom uses github for bugs tracking/feature requests :) 

Otherwise the only thing that is left if above is not a solution is making a logger app that fits your needs.
  • If you feel like this isn't enough you could file an issue on Github requesting for more logging. Also there: please search for existing issues first: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues
  • vaderag said:
    bvdbos said:

There are some logs that you can find under z-wave/zigbee and general log but when you want more indeed you need to use the already mentioned apps or make a request at the github of Athom to let them build or open it from the core of Homey. Athom uses github for bugs tracking/feature requests :) 

Otherwise the only thing that is left if above is not a solution is making a logger app that fits your needs.
    Homey Logger is essentially what I need, but I need it running in the background constantly storing ~1hr data so that when something doesn't behave i check it.
    Is that not using the core to pull that information?
    Presumably the standard is for apps to run all the time so could it be forked to do that?
    I no longer have the technical skills to do this but I have friends who may be able to help... No point of it's impossible tho
  • I like the information that Homey Logger gives me. It seems to be on his todo list to add logging to file/database/cloud. I guess if we just buy enough beers for him... ;) 
  • videren said:
    I like the information that Homey Logger gives me. It seems to be on his todo list to add logging to file/database/cloud. I guess if we just buy enough beers for him... ;) 
    Yes, agreed. The information is good. Storing it in the background would be awesome and solve a lot of issues!