This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Alexa, multiple response lines?

Hi all,

First message here but a follow for quite some time <span>:smile:</span>  While preparing our new house, I took the opportunity to buy and implement a Homey after some previous years experimenting with a Raspberry Pi etc.

I've now linked my Echo Dot to Homey, but I notice Alexa will only respond with the first voice response of Homey. For example, when I ask "Alexa, ask Homey what is the weather going to be", the respond (typical Homey) is "one moment please" but the actual weather message is not spoken. Same for some of my flows. I have a flow where Homey turns off my server, he will give a first voice response immediately "turning server off" and after 61 seconds (shutdown -h ;) ) he will say "server is now off". With Alexa, I only get the first response but not the second.

Is this a limitation of the link between the two systems? If so, why is Homey not responding through it's own speakers, or at least any follow-up voice responds it is supposed to give?

Looking forward to your experiences, tips and tricks!! :D 

Comments

• Anyone??
  • Nobody has any experience with this?  :(
  • I actually never tried it. I have also both alexa and homey, but hate the opening "Alexa, ask to...". Secondly, the Alexa voice recognoiztion is so much better than Homey's, so I decided to completely abandon the voice control for Homey. Hence, I activily prevent any interaction between the two. (I use Homey for all the automated actions and Alexa for all the voice controllable actions).

I could test above and see if I have the same problem? However, I do not expect that this is a bug, because, as I experience, Alexa is only activily listening to voices and neglects other inputs if it is not activated.

• This seems to be standard behaviour - I've been playing around with this too (as also have Homey mic off and only use Alexa to interact) and i'm seeing the same issue. I think this is more an Alexa issue rather than a homey one tho as no Alexa commands seem to have follow ups