This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Voice Commands hardly working - Australia

HI All

Not sure if anyone else still has issues with Voice Commands, as i only see a lot of older posts.

anyway for me when the it changed hey homey to OK homey my homey just never really listened to me anymore. 

If i use the App on the my phone its fine but the actual unit will hardly pickup my commands and if is its because i am right next to it speaking sooooo slowly !

Is there anything that i can do to make this a bit better ?

Thanks heaps for any advice! 

Matthew

Comments

• That's been a very long time then that you have problems because the switch to Ok Homey was almost right after the kickstarter. But it can be hardware or just your accent (australia) but best is to contact support@athom.com or share some speech examples about what Homey did understand and what you wanted to say
  • Yeah it has been a very long time, I wasn't really using it like this before but i have now started to use it more and more that i have now been able to purchase more devices to interact with it! Its now becoming more affordable down here as it all gets more popular ! 

Thankyou for replying @lubbertkramer i will contact them and see what they might suggest

Cheers Matthew
  • As an alternative ( and multiple nodes where it listens on) you could use an Amazon echo dot. That one never failed on me when talking about speech
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited September 2017
    @MatthewMicallef
    I can confirm it is still rubbish. Speech recognition is practically non existent. I have the same issue (still, after almost 2 years!):

I saw some videos where it works OK. So I might send mine back to athom to fix it.
  • They won't be able to fix it unfortunately. I think we simply have to accept that voice control is not a feasible option for the majority of people. As we have seen a number of software updates (and the fact it works fine using your phone) I think we have to accept it's hardware. 

• In that case Athom should communicate that. @Bram They are dead quiet about this more than a year now. That was the main selling point, that is why I bought it: "Talk to your home"
  • That issue has been raised many times. It's unfortunate because Homey is good enough without voice control. I wish we could just simply remove it from the services and use some of the resources for other things.
  • Really?
  • We know that for some users the speech recognition is not working very well. There can be multiple reasons why it is not working properly (accent, background noise, position in your home). For those people we tell them to use the smartphone app and this solves almost all issues.
    Also, we made it possible to use Homey in combination with Google Home and Amazon Alexa and people are really positive about this integration. 

If you have issues with voice you can always contact support@athom.com
  • Yeah i contacted support and this is the reply

Ha Matthew!

It has been a long time when we used Hey Homey instead of OK Homey haha!
    Did you already try to move Homey to another spot in your house and see if it works better of there?

It could be your accent why Homey is not responding correctly to your voice commands. For people who speak english natively it could be fixed by using an Amazon Echo (dot) or a Google Home. The speech analysis in Amazon Echo and Google Home is a bit more sophisticated than in Homey, and also works good with people that speak with an accent. 

Both Google Home and Amazon Echo (dot) can be integrated within Homey!

Did you already check this post on the forum? (https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/36189/#Comment_36189) some background information on how to optimize your speech commands!

Best Regards,

Bram

Athom Support

So knowing this i get it won't be like google or amazon which is fine i know by speaking different to it and making sure there was no other noise it sort of works but the app does work heaps better ...

im not so fussed about the voice really other then it would be cool to show off but the Flows do most of my automation  now anyway so i am still happy :) 

• Yeah i contacted support and this is the reply

Ha Matthew!

It has been a long time when we used Hey Homey instead of OK Homey haha!
    Did you already try to move Homey to another spot in your house and see if it works better of there?

It could be your accent why Homey is not responding correctly to your voice commands. For people who speak english natively it could be fixed by using an Amazon Echo (dot) or a Google Home. The speech analysis in Amazon Echo and Google Home is a bit more sophisticated than in Homey, and also works good with people that speak with an accent. 

Both Google Home and Amazon Echo (dot) can be integrated within Homey!

Did you already check this post on the forum? (https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/36189/#Comment_36189) some background information on how to optimize your speech commands!

Best Regards,

Bram

Athom Support

So knowing this i get it won't be like google or amazon which is fine i know by speaking different to it and making sure there was no other noise it sort of works but the app does work heaps better ...

im not so fussed about the voice really other then it would be cool to show off but the Flows do most of my automation  now anyway so i am still happy :) 

Great guy, Bram from support;)
  • So don`t even want to fix it. Blame you, your home and anyway you get what you have paid for. Lovely.
    It is not the accent, have many native English speaker friends it worked for none. Does not matter in what room homey is it does not work. Still trying to feed everyone with the same rubbish.

• The time stamp does not change since yesterday. This topic can disappear faster.
  • Bram said:
    We know that for some users the speech recognition is not working very well. There can be multiple reasons why it is not working properly (accent, background noise, position in your home). For those people we tell them to use the smartphone app and this solves almost all issues.
    Also, we made it possible to use Homey in combination with Google Home and Amazon Alexa and people are really positive about this integration. 

If you have issues with voice you can always contact support@athom.com
    Voice control via Home and Alexa works indeed nearly flawless, but that just shows the problems with Homey even more clearly to be honest. Just allow us to remove it from Homey and get it over with.  Even during the demo's I never seen it work like in the promotional video's. I was promised twice that new video's showing how it actually works in your offices but nothing ever was shown.

Like many others I have simply given up and use Homey for what it can do well.  Voice control is most certainly not in that list.