This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Presence saying I've left home when I go and get a coffee

Hi,

I love the new improved home detection in the app based on GPS coords, but I think there might still be room for some improvement.
I occasionally get a message that I've left the radius in which homey thinks i'm at home, most of the time this is when I go outside in the garden, or when I go and get myself some coffee in the kitchen.. 

I've set the home radius to 300m (and my house really isn't that big <span>:wink:</span>)
I've set the location of my home manually in the desktop app instead of the automatic detection..

Do I need to configure this another way?

Comments

• IMHO -it doesnt work... I wish it did but its far too unreliable.
  • WRosWRos Member
    The Homey app is scanning the ssid of your Wi-Fi network. On Holliday I brought my access point, Homey thought I was at home.

Next to that I've a problem when my phone switch to another access point in my home, with the same ssid.

So it isn't only the radius.
  • NeefRoel said:
    Hi,

I've set the home radius to 300m (and my house really isn't that big <span>:wink:</span>)
    I've set the location of my home manually in the desktop app instead of the automatic detection..

Where can we find the home radius setting?
  • in the app (phone) / settings
  • at 300 meters it does detect me driving in my street to home, but it also thinks I've left when I'm in the garden.. 
    don't know if it is the phone that is passing on the wrong location, or if homey is taking a walk..

Is there a way to enable some debugging (like saving the coords of both homey and the mobile device when triggering the presence change)?

I've got a feeling that the wifi detection is disabled when using GPS.. am i correct in that or is it also monitoring the wifi connection? (the wifi is pretty bad at 2,4 GHz.. sure wished that homey was able to talk 5GHz)
  • I am having issues as well using an iPhone with ios10.3.3 Sometimes it works perfectly and other times not so much.

Last night i had wifi turned off on my phone when i was coming back and found it didn't detect i was home until i turned it back on and then my arrive home flow kicked in, So there is definitely some reliance on WIFI, 

This does confuses me as if its detecting wifi then why is there that radius setting what part does it play ? I know it seems like it is doing something as well as when i leave to go to work i would get to the next street and then it would tell me i have left the house ( i turned the push notifications on to try and monitor) or is just being slow to detect the wifi has dropped ???
     I have also found that if it does not work and i go into the App settings and just adjust the radius it will then pick up that i am in range and set off my flow. 

This is really the key to a lot of my flows and to have it know that i am home and leaving would be great as then you can setup some great things! 

Hopefully someone can help us all find a better way to use this or see that we all love this feature and try and help make it a little more stable!! 

Thanks Matt!! 
  • I'm currently using ifttt for my flow initiators.. ifttt can also detect your location.. plus setting a variable for being home or away