This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Notification of disconnected zwave devices?

Hi,
I have a Fibaro FGSD-002 Smoke Detector. I have installed the Fibaro app, and the device works fine. A week ago I removed the battery of the device and  I have received no alerts that it has been disconnected. It still shows in the interface with both battery and temperature indicator. Since I am using Homey as an alarm system this worries me a bit. Is there no notification of zwave devices that are noe longer connected or responding?

Comments

• you could use the card under devices/apparaten in the IF column that a device hasn't reported since 5 minutes up to a day
  • As I understand it, a native part of the z-wave-protocol is, that nodes missing in the system will be marked as missing in order to establish the best routes in the mesh - and that's kind of it.
    Non-mains powered deviced has a special status, as they go into "deep sleep" and are unreachable to any other units in the mesh - only on the occasion when the unit wakes up and send it's report to the central node, is it possible for the central node to know the unit still exist (and send qued information to it if it is awake long enough).

To the central controller, there is no difference between the unit in deep sleep and the unit without battery per se - that is part of the z-wave-protocol - and only if the controller is told to keep an eye on if/when the unit report to the central controller it will be possible to recognise a unit is missing.
    Basically, the battery powered smoke alarm is no different to the battery powered remote control - and getting alarms every time you didn't use the remote control for some time would be a little annoying, I think ;-)
  • @lubbertkramer could you show a screenshot please?
    Sorry but I can't find the option..
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited September 2017
    zimbra said:
    @lubbertkramer could you show a screenshot please?
    Sorry but I can't find the option..
    Under devices (apparaten at my screenshot because i have Homey in Dutch) and then scroll to the card a device hasn't reported for (een apparaat heeft niet gerapporteerd). If you are running stable (1.3.1) you don't have it indeed, it's a new feature at 1.5 (sorry i use it too long since it's released in developer preview so take it for general) but 1.5 will become stable if everything goes well as Athom said here

cbh said:

Basically, the battery powered smoke alarm is no different to the battery powered remote control - and getting alarms every time you didn't use the remote control for some time would be a little annoying, I think ;-)
    The smoke sensor (battery powered fibaro in my case) also reports temperature so if the sensor didn't report in a day you know something is wrong and it would be handy if you get an alert then 

• cbhcbh Member
    edited September 2017
    The smoke sensor (battery powered fibaro in my case) also reports temperature so if the sensor didn't report in a day you know something is wrong and it would be handy if you get an alert then 

I know - mine do as well - and of course, most sensors do wake up regularly (hence the "Wake up interval"-setting :smile:) and this is what makes it possible to make the "test" etc.
    it was just to illustrate that it is due to the z-wave-protocol itself, not Homey, that the system does not automatically find the absence of a battery powered node alarming (so to say... :wink:)