This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[How-To] use NFC Tags with Homey - main discussion topic

edited August 2017 in Devices

How-to use NFC Tags with Homey 

You can use several types of simple NFC Tags with Homey. 
It can read a tag when you touch the tag to the top of Homey. 

Homey by default only reports the serialnumber of the card represented by a UID[4] or UID[7]
Simple tags read by Homey generate each time the same number, complex secure cards generate an random ID and are not that useful as Homey can't read te secure information or distinguish between different tags. 

Useful simple cards/tags you probably already have are: 
  • Dutch Old ov-Chipcard NUID[4]
  • Dutch Paper OV-Chip Card (GVB Amsterdam, Mifare  ultralight) UID[7] 
or buy some from the "made in China" Shops for less than one euro each ()
Advanced and/or secure tags are:
  • Passport
  • RijksPas  (Mifare DESfire EV1 etc.)
  • Various mobile phones 
These cards generate a random UID so don't use these to identify a card.

Example flow:

for Example to start:  Create the flow to record the UIDs
New WorkFlow: ReadNFCTag
If: A tag has been detected =>
Than: Send a push notification: 
   - To {Select your name/phone} 

Drag the [o tag ID] label from the Left column to the msg box. 

Scan your NFC card and read the ID on your phone/tablet in the Homey App!

Homey scans a NUID[4]  or UID[7], these are 4 byte or 7 byte long (fe UID[4] = 12:34:ab:cd  and UID[7] =12:34:ab:cd:12:34:56) 
Disable the flow if you found all ID's for later use...

My Android NFC App Crashes on two of these cards (Old ov-Chipcard NUID[4]  but scans the others and scans same ID in Homey as Android (other notation without semicolumns)

Now you can create a flow that triggers on "A Tag had been detected [ UID ]" 

Forum Discussion

Initial Discussion created by @GeurtDijker with info from the community
Ask any Moderator to add/update/correct this Discussion.

Comments

• NFC Tags - Frequently Asked Questions 

To be updated
  • NFC Tags - List of compatible Tags

To be updated
  • Found a few NFC tags at home, I purchased some years ago, and tested them with Homey today. 
    Both NFC tags in this picture are type NTAG203 and work with Homey. At least, I got their ID tag sent to my phone.  :)

The black one (43*43*1.2 mm ) comes with a magnetic background. Nice for sticking to a fridge or a metal door.
    Serial number is 5MAG203V1F-169.
    The bleu on the right ( round 29 mm ) is a water resistent sticker.
    Serial number is 5STK203V2F-185.

• Is there an external reader for NFC that can work with Homey? My homey won't be in a good place for my NFC I don't think...
    Also, can you read NFC from your phone (to detect a specific device?) or does it need to be tag?
  • vaderag said:
    Is there an external reader for NFC that can work with Homey? My homey won't be in a good place for my NFC I don't think...
    Also, can you read NFC from your phone (to detect a specific device?) or does it need to be tag?
    I am not aware of other homey compatible nfc readers,  except a second Homey ...
    but that is an awesome Welcome home that way!

...Various mobile phones These cards generate a random UID so don't use these to identify a card.

from the OP, can you tel me what is not clear? 

• We went to an event today and received nfc bracelets at the entrance.
    Nice, I can use those with Homey afterwards was the first thing I thought!

But when I came home and tried to read them (made a flow that pulses the ring when a tag is detected) nothing happened.
    Installed an app on my phone to check the tags, they are read without any problems (detected as MiFare Light)
    Tried another nfc tag (built in to my BT headphones), also nothing.  Phone app detects it right away.

I just have to tap the tag to the top of Homey, right??
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited September 2017
    Fire69 said:
    We went to an event today and received nfc bracelets at the entrance.
    [...]
    I just have to tap the tag to the top of Homey, right??

Yep, just hold an NFC tag on top of Homey. 
    You didn't dim the LED ring ;-) I suggest on also sending a Push Notification with the scanned TAG.
    And test it with fe your Passport or a normal (dutch) OV chip card.
    That one should work and the Passport send an different ID each time. (OV chip sends a static number) 
    sometimes it is better to slowly  swipe the card over the top to get the chip close enough. 

• When I run the test flow the ring pulsates so should be ok :)  Added a notification just to be sure.
    Tried with my (Belgian) ID now, no luck but don't know if we have nfc in it.
    Also tried my international passport (I can see the chip in the back), nothing happens.
    I have some chinese tags somewhere in the house, I'll look for those tomorrow...
  • Hi!

Have you found any sollution?
    I also have problems with detecting my tags/cards. Homey doesent do anything when holding them against..??

• These are the tags/cards I have tried so far:

• Mine works with my standard credit card...
  • @DanielP
    Do you hold it on the top of homey?
    And have you configured a flow to detect a nfc card? And then do something with it.
  • @caseda On top, on the side, practically everywhere :-)
    Heres how my Flow is:

Works when I test it..
  • Then please make contact with support@athom.com.

Maybe there is something wrong with your nfc antenna (which is in the top), they can help you further there.
  • It turned out that my Homey was working correct. I changed the Flow to trigger a voice command insted om my chromecast. Then all of my cards/tags worked perfect. Time to chech the chromecast-setup  :p
    Super-thanks to @Bram at Athom Support for helping me out during the day :-)
    Thanks also to @caseda
    Have a great weekend 
  • Quick question... Can someone advise the exact spot on the homey where the NFC receiver is? 
    I miss it (or it doesn't function) one time in 6 so I'd like to stick a little sticker there to help locate it
  • On top
  • canedje said:
    On top
    canedje said:
    On top
    Right on the top as it's sitting?
    Or at a slight angle to the forwards (the direction the homey sits in?) 
  • vaderag said:
    canedje said:
    On top
    canedje said:
    On top
    Right on the top as it's sitting?
    Or at a slight angle to the forwards (the direction the homey sits in?) 

as far as I know, right on top. (I did see sometimes ago an "inside" picture of Homey)
  • It would have been exactly  on top if Homey wasn't tilting forward, 
    see the pictures here, the black round print in the top: 
    https://www.johandraaisma.nl/homey/black-paint-job/
    but it should detect anything within a couple of cm so on top  works most of the time for me.
  • a newbie here and wondering,

where do i see the tag -id ?   i want to specify for homey what to do with a certain tag.

Thanks

Magnus
  • ljudmasen said:
    a newbie here and wondering,

where do i see the tag -id ?   i want to specify for homey what to do with a certain tag.

Thanks

Magnus
    Hi, Welcome!
    Please read again the opening post, the is a small red arrow in the picture how to drag the tag id from when column to the then (or and or else) column