This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
presence

OwnTracks not working

dennis91dennis91 Member
edited April 2018 in Questions & Help
Hi Guys,

I think i need some help with the OwnTracks integration... yesterday i've set it up. Pushing messages from my iPhone to MQTT is working fine (i can see the messages coming in on Homey), he also nicely added the Zones i've added in the OwnTracks app. Yesterday when i got home OwnTracks notified me "Entering home geofence", so that is working. But for whatever reason the OwnTracks client on Homey is still reporting i'm "nowhere";

I really don't know how to solve this issue. I've also created a test-flow to alert me when i got home, but it never fires :

What to do?
Tagged:

Comments

• In the Owntrack client did you publish the waypoints/regions? 
    I found the iOS app very unreliable (not really usable)  I've been looking in other solutions  
  • techniman said:
    In the Owntrack client did you publish the waypoints/regions? 
    I found the iOS app very unreliable (not really usable)  I've been looking in other solutions  

I don't agree, it is used by many, many users and incredible stable.
  • dennis91 said:
    Hi Guys,

I think i need some help with the OwnTracks integration... yesterday i've set it up. Pushing messages from my iPhone to MQTT is working fine (i can see the messages coming in on Homey), he also nicely added the Zones i've added in the OwnTracks app. Yesterday when i got home OwnTracks notified me "Entering home geofence", so that is working. But for whatever reason the OwnTracks client on Homey is still reporting i'm "nowhere";

I really don't know how to solve this issue. I've also created a test-flow to alert me when i got home, but it never fires :

What to do?

Please read through https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2804/setup-homey-with-mqtt-for-location-detection/p1
  • ingmar said:
    techniman said:
    In the Owntrack client did you publish the waypoints/regions? 

I don't agree, it is used by many, many users and incredible stable.
    Can you comment on how you set it up (iOS version, device type etc.) 
    I noticed when setting up the app it works for an hour or so, but then it just stops reporting, I have the feeling iOS "snoozes" the app after a period of time..     
  • Thanks for the replies all. I'm not sure why it's not working, tried the mentioned how-to here also.
    If i request the logs in the client i see things like :

20170817-11:09:32 received '{"tst":1502960970,"acc":8,"_type":"location","alt":-4,"lon":4.3353312081906896,"vac":3,"vel":0,"lat":51.905044776958086,"batt":78,"conn":"w","tid":"IS"}' on 'owntracks/dennis-iPhone7/dennis'
    20170817-11:09:32 We have received a location message
    20170817-11:09:32 Set battery percentage for dennis-iPhone7 to 78%

But i'm not sure why it's not reporting to be home..
  • edited August 2017
    Did you enable the share option in the region specified on your phone? 

You need to receive a transition message. 

If you add a region, does it get automatically added in the homey owntracks app? 
  • Did you enable the share option in the region specified on your phone? 

You need to receive a transition message. 
    Yes, it is enabled!
  • Take a look at the accuracy settings in both the homey app and the phone app. In the homey app homey app put something like 2000 meters to make sure that the transition is being processed. 
  • Got the same problem: 
    Homey V 1.5.0.-rc.6
    Owntracks v1.5.4

My Settings in Ownrack:

My settings in de IOS Owntrack app:

This is my test flow, but when i click the "test button" noting happen. And in reallife also nothing happent when i leave the fance "werk"

• zowiekezowieke Member
    edited August 2017
    I got some issues too when setting up Owntracks, but got it working.
    So maybe these tips might help:

• Make sure "Share" is activated for each Region.
    • Make sure you set Radius for Region to something like 100 or 200 meters. Default is 0, so change that.
    • Make sure to "Publish Waypoints" in the settings in Owntracks.
    • Now Homey should have at least a user and one or more waypoints.
    • Make sure Owntracks is set to "significant changes mode" or "move mode".
    • Make sure you now leave the region and enter it again (best is with a time between of at least 5 minutes). Homey should get the message that you leave the region, are at another location and then message that you enter the region.
    Hope this helps.
  • zowieke said:

• Make sure you set Radius for Region to something like 100 or 200 meters. Default is 0, so change that.
    • Make sure to "Public Waypoints" in the settings in Owntracks.
    • Make sure you now leave the region and enter it again (best is with a time between of at least 5 minutes). Homey should get the message that you leave the region, are at another location and then message that you enter the region.
    Hope this helps.
    Can you tell me what you mean with:

• uNiiek said:
    zowieke said:

Hope this helps.

He likely meant share/publish the way points, this way homey knows the name of the waypoint 
  • uNiiek said:

Sorry, but as @techniman mentioned:
    What i mean is going to settings page on Owntracks app on your device and tap the Publish Waypoints option there.
  • edited August 2017
    Sorry forgot to subscribe to this topic. But it looks like @zowieke already wrote down good tips to make it work. 

Thx @zowieke

It would really help if someone with an iPhone who has this working, could write down the settings. I don't have a iPhone, so it's a black box for me. 
  • zowiekezowieke Member
    edited August 2017
    Sorry forgot to subscribe to this topic. But it looks like @zowieke already wrote down good tips to make it work. 

Thx @zowieke

It would really help if someone with an iPhone who has this working, could write down the settings. I don't have a iPhone, so it's a black box for me. 
    You're welcome.

Below screenshots of my settings / configuration in Owntracks.
    Hope these help.

I setup Mosquitto on my Synology NAS.
    So i chose mode Private.
    Enter deviceid, host, port, userid, password and trackerid (optional, can leave default).
    I know, i don't use TLS. Still need to fix that, but NAS runs self-signed certificate.

When leaving settings you should see the status info like in the screenshot. Of course it should say Connected, else settings are incorrect.

Last screenshot is example of Region, in this case Thuis (Home).
    Make sure the Share option is enabled.
    And change the region, as it defaults to 0, which disables the waypoint. For this waypoint i chose 200 m for radius. You will probably need to test a bit with the radius. For another waypoint i set it to 300, as it is a company with large parking lot.

Remember to use the Publish Waypoints option in the settings, as it will push the waypoint data to the MQTT broker.

• Sorry to revive an old thread, but if you have multiple users, do i need to import the waypoints into all the phones?  we are all using IOS devices.  i created a waypoint for home on my phone, but it doesn't show up on the other phones, so we don't get enter/leave events from the other devices.
  • technimantechniman Member
    edited April 2018
    speedy said:
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but if you have multiple users, do i need to import the waypoints into all the phones?  we are all using IOS devices.  i created a waypoint for home on my phone, but it doesn't show up on the other phones, so we don't get enter/leave events from the other devices.
    yes.. thats the drawback.. 

I'm using a RPi with homeassistant linked to Owntracks.. in Hass you can create your own waypoints and have all the connected phones use them.. 

It takes a few more minutes to set up but its way more flexible  

• edited April 2018
    @speedy
    If you are using a MQTT broker and tub have enabled receiving commands on the owntracks app on your phone, you can push all the fences that are on the homey owntracks client to a specific device. 
  • @MennoVanGrinsven yes, i am using a broker.  I looked up how to add the receiving of commands on the phone, but wasn't 100% sure if this was right.   I subscribe all phones to owntracks/# , so they should receive all messages.  do i just need to add the line:

"_type":"cmd"

to the config on all the phones?
  • speedy said:
    @MennoVanGrinsven yes, i am using a broker.  I looked up how to add the receiving of commands on the phone, but wasn't 100% sure if this was right.   I subscribe all phones to owntracks/# , so they should receive all messages.  do i just need to add the line:

"_type":"cmd"

to the config on all the phones?

In Android you need to enable Remote commands. Don't know how that is with the iPhone app. 

• @MennoVanGrinsven unfortunately that setting is nowhere to be found on the iphone app... i'll keep searching, but i really appreciate the help!