This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

static ip adress homey

is it possible to give homey a static ip adress

Comments

• RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited August 2017
    U can do this in ur router with DHCP reservations by mac adres.
  • did that ,but sometimes it still gives some errors with my router.
    is the option going to be possible in the near future!!!!!
  • Have you checked that the static IP assigned in the router is a free IP address (and not used by another device where you configured the same static IP)? And that after configuring this you restart Homey (if the static IP configured in the router is not the same as assigned to Homey already).
  • It's never a good way of working to set the IP fixed on the device itself...
    Just do it in your router, so you have an overview of all the used IP's.
  • Keep in mind that some routers (like the ExperiaBox of KPN) do not allow static ip addresses to be defined if they are outside of the DHCP ip pool.
    Of course the IP address should not already be in use by another device.
    Also make sure to use the correct MAC address when assigning a static ip address.
  • MathijsMathijs Member
    edited August 2017
    Fire69 said:
    It's never a good way of working to set the IP fixed on the device itself...
    With respect, some of the user interfaces of routers that are used by major ISP's make it incredibly hard to do that. I have used very complex network hardware in the decades I been doing what I do, but some consumer grade routers had me call support (only to hear that one 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.220 are user assignable arghhhhhh).

The option to set a fixed IP in Homey is badly needed.
  • Fire69 said:
    That is a nice opinion... My router just broke, and I lost all my 100+ reservations ;) (also not fun not having a device that does DHCP for a couple of days).
    For specific devices it can be very handy to have a fixed IP address, specially very connected devices that are being talked to a lot.
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Member
    edited February 2018
    Mathijs said:
    Fire69 said:
    With respect, some of the user interfaces of routers that are used by major ISP's make it incredibly hard to do that. I have used very complex network hardware in the decades I been doing what I do, but some consumer grade routers had me call support (only to hear that one 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.220 are user assignable arghhhhhh).

The option to set a fixed IP in Homey is badly needed.
    I missed the option also but the philosophy of Athom is to keep it simple for consumers keeping the unnecessary options (that can go wrong by customer failure) on Homey to a minimum. (And I agree for that!)

imho if you belong to the ~ 2% consumers that really want to play with network settings you should kick that "$%^%&^&* limited consumer grade router" out and buy and configure  a decent fully configurable router or better Firewall to enjoy playing with network settings.

Also solves the problem ;-)
  • Buy some better network equipment... 
    first rule is always to not rely on isp stuff..
    and if a devices loses its dhcp reservation from your router then you’re just using some crappy stuff..