This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

which (zwave) dimmers works fine with dimmable leds?

Searching for a plugin dimmer (using z-wave) for dimmable LED lights.

Currently i am using KAKU dimmer which dim my lights fine, but sadly KAKU is not that reliable, sometimes they do not respond and they have no option to retrieve the actual state so Homey can correct if they did not respond as z-wave does.

I also have several z-wave dimmers but none of them can dim LED lights, when i use them the LED lights start to flicker/flashing when they are dimmed.
I am surprised that cheap KAKU dimmers work fine and expensive z-wave dimmers cannot dim LED lights properly

Are there maybe new Z-wave dimmers available which solved this problem and can dim LEDS as goood or better then KAKU dimmers?
Note: searching for 'payable' plugin dimmers, so a dimmer of 100 euro is not an option, if you know what i mean...

Maybe someone has an other solution to get LED lights to dim properly or KAKU to listen to commands better etc..

Comments

• Just add a Bypass with the leds.
    Some things explained here.
  • B3rtB3rt Member
    - does not work with plugin (socket) dimmers
    - much to expensive, have to buy dimmers (which do not work properly) and then apply this solution....
    - looking for a decent solution, the dimmer itself should support LED dimming (KAKU can do this, so why not other brands aswel)

• Sorry, totaly missed the plug-in part.

• @B3rt it depends on the type of LED lamps you are intending to use..

I am using the Fibaro Dimmer-2 myself on almost all LED lamps I have, some with bypass (@7 euro) installed. With the right measures, it works perfectly to be able to handle the Rippe control effect.
    Yes, it is not a plugin dimmer but can be installed behind a switch / a wall socket. But I love the options provided in the firmware of this Dimmer.

in addition, I have 1 plugin dimmer: the Aeotec Smart Dimmer 6, connected to a 12V LED. With this one, I do see the Ripple Control and effect and there are no options to mitigate it. In addition, the options provided in the firmware are far less compared to the Fibaro... even considering to replace it by a Dimmer-2 in an external housing...
  • @TedTolboom these is a simple way for you're socket dimmer. If in you're house you can manage the ripple why don't you just put the bypass I'm you're light. Then you have the aeotec smart dimmer and the bypass in you're light and it should work then
  • B3rtB3rt Member
    The leds are normal e14 dimmable (samsung) LED bulbs on 220v, so no 12v

I am just surpised how it is possible that cheap KAKU dimmers can perfectly dim these leds lights and expensive z-wave dimmers simply cannot..

The reason i do not want build in dimmers is when the system fails (and yes this happens now and then) it is impossible to control/reset/so something to the dimmer itself.
    When Homey crashes (again) i now can simply unplug the dimmer and turn the light off, i do have 2 build-in units in house and these lights stay on when Homey crashes, i have NO way to turn them off, very anoying!
    Most times these crashes happen on the most bad/worse times, always when i have to go (away or to bed) and have simply no time to wait on the reboot to finish to fix it. 

Also a big advantage of a plugin dimmer/socket is that i can configure/change the usage/layout when i want, if the wife wants to move the light, that is no problem..... 
    Also the socket can be used as a normal power socket, when a buildin dimmer is mounted on that socket you cannot use the socket anymore as a normal power socket (using vacum cleaner etc) or use an extention power socket box etc.

So that is why i prefer plugin units :)
  • casedacaseda Member
    Z-wave uses a different way of dimming which increase the range you can dim with almost 2x (can go way lower in intensity), and are a lot easier on your eyes.

but has the down fall that most dimmers that are out there were not created with LED(s) in mind.
    LED's isn't that popular for long now, most dimmers were already there/designed long before.

you can try the aeotec nano dimmer (which is the newest dimmers out there) but is not supported by the app (yet) am creating a driver for it, but want to buy it myself first since it has some awesome functionalities that needs real life testing first.
  • LJSVVLJSVV Member
    caseda said:

you can try the aeotec nano dimmer (which is the newest dimmers out there) but is not supported by the app (yet) am creating a driver for it, but want to buy it myself first since it has some awesome functionalities that needs real life testing first.
    Can you please give an update about when the Nano Dimmer and/or Nano Switch will be supported?
  • danonedanone Member
    edited November 2017
    LJSVV said:
    caseda said:

Can you please give an update about when the Nano Dimmer and/or Nano Switch will be supported?
    Yes, that would be really nice to have this one supported. No need for any bypass and it can also control AC ceiling fans.
  • GE 1724 controlling two in-ceiling LED lights. It works fine but, as you say, if you try to dim below the 10% level, it generally won't work. Even at 10%, the lights will flicker - and as you point out, may not even start at that level. Starting and running at 12-15% will result in a stable, start-able, non-flickering bulb.