This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

How stable is Homey?

ad6922ad6922 Member
edited July 2017 in Questions & Help
I've had a homey directly from the crowdfunding round.  At that time the homey was very unstable. Lots of issues and crashes.That's why i sold it at the time.

As i found it an interesting concept, i am still interested.

I wonder what the status is now. 

Is it passed the phase where you have to reset everything once in a while and is it now a robust product or are there still a lot of flaws and is it not for the general public?

Comments

• swtttswttt Member
    It's getting there...but i can't promise you will not encounter any issues tho.

Have seen some memory leaks lately (could be caused by community apps as well), but for me homey is running stable and only reboots on updates.

Where other users do expierience memory issues, and need to reboot every night.
  • djeskodjesko Member
    21 days then i needed a reboot , but as swttt says memory leaks from some app can be the problem for me ( using candy app for reboot every 18 days now) 

• For me Homey (1.3.2-Exp) works good and stable. Got round about 90 Devices, 220 Flows and some Apps.

I didn't using speech because things e.g. bulbs and blinds are handeld by Homey and Flows. Like Automation :-).

Till yet no reboot or ptp needed this month :-).

I'm waiting for ZigBee. At the moment Bulbs connected to Homey with a HueBridge. Not my favorite ;-).

• undergroundunderground Member
    edited July 2017

I'm waiting for ZigBee. At the moment Bulbs connected to Homey with a HueBridge. Not my favorite ;-).

Funny, the hue bridge is the only device that actually does work and is stable as stable can be. This cannot be said about the homey and/or apps.
    I have a house full of Hue lights and the Hue bridge never failed me (with switches). However, the outside lights that are controlled by the homey (using the Hue app and bridge) did work for about two weeks and just stopped working. I had to reboot homey and it worked again.
    What has been working was the lights in one room where I have two z-wave fibaro motion sensors and Hue lights. It did turn on the lights when motion was detected, but after some days, no luck. And even after a reboot, no luck.

So, now I need to buy a Hue motion sensor and let hue bridge control everything so I can unplug the homey.
  • CyberSponkCyberSponk Member
    edited July 2017
    I've got only Lightify-Bulbs but the Lightify-App (that one who needs a Lightify-Bridge) never worked with Homey > That's why i got a Hue-Bridge.

On the System before Homey i didn't need a Bridge for the Bulbs but Z-Wave was updated till it died ;-).

Homey is my 4th (or 5th - did not remember) System and in comparison Homey did till yet the best and stable work. For me ;-).
  • RebtorRebtor Member
    Running version 1.3.2
    I run 19 apps, 65 + devices and 18 flows. I reboot when we get an update so that is every 3-4 weeks.

All my Zwave devices are supported now, i have taken some community apps and ajusted them so they fit my need a little bit better. Now waiting for zigbee (plugwise) native support so i can put those plugs back to work. 

No stability issues on homey's end here.

Only little thing that happens a few times a week are (3rd party) apps crashing. But they are restarted after 5 seconds by Candy and so far seem to have little or no impact on homey itself..

So, i'm happy i gave them half a year longer. Because last year i thought homey would never be able to replace my Vera. 
  • Works like a charm over here. All my devices (28 in total) work as designed and also the flows work as I would expect. Speech recognition is still a no go and I wont expect it to get any better. The only that sometimes happens is that an update of an app crashes the app or something but that is really on a rare occasion. 
  • Mine is running without a manual ptp or reboot in 5 weeks, havent checked its uptime, so dont know if it reboots itself sometimes? (my auto update is off)
  • djesko said:
    21 days then i needed a reboot , but as swttt says memory leaks from some app can be the problem for me ( using candy app for reboot every 18 days now) 

My Homey has been running for about 10 months without issue. It might have rebooted itself on software updates, but for me it just works. 

I recently performed a factory reset because I moved to another apartment. I'm in the process of installing and re-pairing all the devices. The core platform seems very solid. I'm trying to get the full Homey experience with a minimal number of apps, using the core functionality as much as possible. So far, I only have a small issue signing in to the google music app and a few minor UI bugs which most people might not even encounter/notice. 

• I'm waiting for ZigBee. At the moment Bulbs connected to Homey with a HueBridge. Not my favorite ;-).

Funny, the hue bridge is the only device that actually does work and is stable as stable can be. This cannot be said about the homey and/or apps.
    I have a house full of Hue lights and the Hue bridge never failed me (with switches). However, the outside lights that are controlled by the homey (using the Hue app and bridge) did work for about two weeks and just stopped working. I had to reboot homey and it worked again.
    What has been working was the lights in one room where I have two z-wave fibaro motion sensors and Hue lights. It did turn on the lights when motion was detected, but after some days, no luck. And even after a reboot, no luck.

So, now I need to buy a Hue motion sensor and let hue bridge control everything so I can unplug the homey.
    I now went in another direction. I have noticed that on this forum, if you report issues, others say: "It works fine here." Or "It must be a problem of your house". Or "The other device (like Hue Bridge) is the problem."

Well, lets see if that could be the case. Z-wave wasn't working for me at all and Hue lights sometimes just stopped working and I had to reboot.
    So, this is what I did:
    I bought a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with a Z-wave Gen5 USB stick. I installed Raspbian with domoticz, learned a bit the system and now I have exact the same 'flows' as I had with homey. Everything is working, even Z-wave, motion sensors turning on the lights and turning it off after 5 minutes of no movement etc. I even have push messages to phone working in case of someone ringing the doorbel.

Now lets wait and see if this runs stable for weeks. If so, then we know for sure it is a homey problem and not the surroundings.
  • swtttswttt Member
    @underground
    I have worked years with a solution like that, and ofcourse that runs stable. It excists way longer then Homey, has less signals (only z-wave and maybe wifi in your case), has 161(!) contributors and isn't as easy to setup as Homey is.

Homey has (in that little round ball) Zigbee, Z-wave, IR, 433, Bluetooth and WiFi...and it needs to send and receive on all of those signals. So you do need to count in some interference and less "range" with a Homey vs a dedicated signal like just one z-wave stick.

Other then that, try to write some plugins for domoticz, openhab or home-assistant. It just isn't as easy as it is for Homey :smile:

I am confident that i can build a way more advanced system with any of the above named alternatives then i currently can with Homey. But i love the product, love the community and love that its build on NodeJS/Javascript. Thats worth something right :)

Everyone has his own preference, but it just can't be said that Homey isn't running stable. I do agree some community apps might be bad written and could create memory leaking (or even flows that loop when you don't notice), but you can't blaim that on Homey.

I only reboot on firmware updates, other then that (and since the z-wave rewrite) i never had issues.
    edited July 2017
    swttt said:

I only reboot on firmware updates, other then that (and since the z-wave rewrite) i never had issues.
    But that doesn't help me at all, does it? I still have the issues I mentioned before.

To your statement about the communications, I have to correct you. Out of the box (30 Euro) the RPI supports WiFi, Bluetooth, LAN (Homey does not support LAN). With 50 Euros extra you have Z-wave. That leaves 433 and Zigbee. 433 is a bit more expensive for the RPI (about 100 Euros I think) and Zigbee, well, I have the Hue Bridge.
    But you are right, homey does have more means of communications. But I have to pay for it even if I don't need it (433 is not even an option for me if it comes to reliable home automation)

And I didn't mention any prices before, because that wasn't the point. It was a point about stability. And yes, for me it is even cheaper to use domoticz on RPI, but I knew that on forehand. I bought homey for its potential and ease of use. Now that desktop support is going to be removed and the fact that it is still not stable, I am losing faith in the product (well, athom, because the idea still has potential)

edit:
    oh and another thing: I can backup my system :-)
    If something happens, I can restore it easily without doing everything over again. (even Z-wave devices can be backed up)
  • swtttswttt Member
    It doesn't help you, but just giving you the idea whats the cause and that it is working for most people.
    Since you are/were promoting open-source alternatives you should inform a bit more imho.

Where LAN isn't really interfering with other signals...and don't forget IR :smile:

Don't forgot domoticz isn't backing up z-wave by default, that needs a seperate back-up as well (from the open zwave thingy, at least it did in the past..). 

To be honest, when you talk about prices...you actually shoudn't start on home-automation. Thats just an expensive hobby :smile:

I don't even think there has been a crashed Homey on the stable channel tho, so actually i don't care for back-ups :smile:
    edited July 2017
    swttt said:
    It doesn't help you, but just giving you the idea whats the cause and that it is working for most people.
    Since you are/were promoting open-source alternatives you should inform a bit more imho.

Interesting. What idea are you giving me? What is according to you the cause of my problems I have with homey? Note that the problems are a z-wave motion sensor not detecting motion and hue lights suddenly stops working sometimes and after reboot it works again. And with the knowledge that with domoticz it is working, all of it.

So, when you say: "It is working fine here". And with other system then homey it is working fine, What is the cause you think?

Look, I understand things take time to get it all stable. Don' get me wrong, I have been very patient. I loved the idea and that is the reason I bought it.
    But it is the attitude of athom that I am getting tired of. The homey is not finished yet, I hope you can agree on that. IR is crap, ZigBee is not working yet and people have trouble with stability in general (or are you saying I am the onle one?)

And what are they doing? They focus on 'selling point stuff', like music. I know, maybe some people like it. But get the basic right first. And again got a newsletter with nice selling points of what could happen in the future. Yeah, athom, we know what the potentials are, but please deliver! At least deliver on promisses, but that is also a big problem for Athom. They promiss a lot, but just don't deliver.

@swttt, I know you love the system and that is OK. I am happy for you. But maybe you can be empathetic enough to see that some people can be frustrated by an unfinished and unstable system while athom just isn't focusing on these issues.
  • phil_sphil_s Member
    edited July 2017
    I can understand Both sides. So everyone must make his own choice. I am with homey but was several times at the Point of @underground

i am Lucky with homey so far but that is my own opinion 
  • djeskodjesko Member

I moved from a HC2 a 700 euro unit to a more unstable unit and i cannot say that i was happy about  homey when i got it ...bad performance and zwave was crap ...  but the setup i got today was not possible on a HC2  ( wifi units , Milight, and soon IKEA lights )  and the support i get on the forum / slack / mail is super !  

and like @phil_s says its your own choice !  

Taking a beer and have nice weekend all ! 

• We all understand where we are: A Homey forum. That means that you will find a lot of pro-homey users and a lot of bugs. Both of these are out of proportions here and do not reflect the average Homey use/user.

I think the question how stable Homey really is is a very good question. I didn't realize that there were still users with stability issues and the cause is probably not as straight forward as one might guess. It could be the homey core, drivers, apps, 3rd party devices or the interaction between any of these components. 

underground. It sounds like an good test and interesting comparison. I'm curious what the results are and how the user experience compares between the two. Keep us updated!

• JaapPelt said:

underground. It sounds like an good test and interesting comparison. I'm curious what the results are and how the user experience compares between the two. Keep us updated!

I will certainly keep you updated. I might even write a complete comparisson/review of both systems. But I think I should keep it running for at least 2 weeks.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Supposing you're right and there are no loops in your flows, no strange settings like polling every 3 seconds which can cause overloads etc and you don't have an absurd amount of devices (>200 imho), apps (>50 imho) and flows (>200 imho). Then we would have to conclude there must be something wrong internally.

Of course it could be a hardware-issue but that seems unlikely given that it runs well for some time before processes are being killed.

Do you have some insight-graphs of processor-load etc? Also, did you look at the logs of apps, devices, flows etc to see if something stood out?

When was the last time you did a full reset on your Homey. In the end the configuration-files are just flat-files afaik (though a transit to sql was planned and might be on 1,3.x already?). If there's, for some unknown reason but let's say Heisenberg also has to dip in, an error in one of your internal config-files this could cause havoc.
    edited July 2017
    @bvdbos There were certainly no loops in the flows or strange settings. In fact, as I will also explain in the review, I had just a minimum of devices, flows and apps. The memory usage and CPU usage were low.
    I had the (extra) apps: Philips Hue, Fibaro, Countdown,  Better Logic, Http request flow chards, Sun Events
    I had 2 z-wave sensors (one z-wave plus and one z-wave fibaro motion sensor)
    I had 1 fibaro z-wave wall switch
    Philips Hue lights (about 20 lights and 8 switches, including tab)
    I had two flows for the lights outside to be turned on after sunset and turned off at some time in the night.
    I had about 4 flows to get light automatically on when motion was detected and kept on for at least 5 minutes when no potion was detected.
    1 flow that was triggered when the (mobotix) doorbel was pushed (by http request) that would send a push message to 2 phones.

I had version 1.3.2 that was installed by Athom themselfs.
    I did a reset (including z-wave)

The problems I had were with both (and only devices I had). I had problems reading the sensors. They worked in the beginning, but after a while, it didn't detect motion (could read temperature). Hue lights could not be switched. The latter was resolved after reboot of homey (reboot needed about every 2 or 3 weeks), but the sensor problems could not be solved (not after removing and adding them again. Tried everything)

With domoticz, I had to remove the z-wave devices from Homey and added them to the USB stick (which is the z-wave controller). Plugged in Raspberry Pi and the devices were there and all was working fine. So, the sensors were OK.

I am a consumer. To be honest, I don't care if it is a hardware or software problem, because neither are looked into and getting solved. because, other people say "It works fine here, it must be something on your side".
    I am a software developer and we at work use this line to joke. If a coworker says "this doesn't work", we say as a joke "It works on my PC". But here people are seriously saying that. Yes, I believe you, if you say it is working for you. But that doesn't help me at all and further more, People are running away from the issues that are certainly there. That is what is frustrating. Oh, homey is great, it works here and if it isn't working for you, then you must be doing something wrong.

All I can say is that I now have the exact same flows/situation/control with domoticz as I had with homey and all is working fine. Nothing has changed in the house, only homey is replaced by a RPI with domoticz.

And I cannot emphasize enough that I love the idea of homey. But it isn't a consumer product yet. And once I need to hobby anyway, I might as well get a hobby system (RPI), so I have better hardware and an open system.
  • Update:
    All is running fine on the Raspberry PI with domoticz for a week now.

I wanted to write a review to compare the two systems, but to be honest; with every day the RPI/Domoticz running fine and reading about the possibilities, I rather spent time on the stable system instead of the (for me) unstable homey system.
    The review won't be good for the product homey. So, homey fan boys should be glad.

I came to the conclusion not to write a comparison review yesterday. My girlfriend and her co-workers were talking about home automation and she told them about RPI and homey. She said that they can buy the homey, but right away the co-workers said that homey was crappy and are not interested (they were thinking to buy Alexa). So, they knew homey and I guess the word about its state is out.

My homey is unplugged. Who knows after some years I plug it back in to see what has become of the software. But for now I will just check this forum once in a while.
  • I was running Domoticz before I had a Homey and my Z-wave crapped out multiple times. So far Homey is working out for me very good with a stable Z-wave, so I think the results of both systems can be very different for each person.
  • MarcelKuijperMarcelKuijper Member
    edited August 2017
    My experience with homey is just outstanding at this moment, i got homey from the beginning when KS was funded and delivered.
    It made massive steps, at this point im using Http requests, klik-aan klik-uit (433 mhz) , z-wave, Philips hue, IR, Speech controle, Homey app, allot of automated flows, push notifications through push-over on a daily basis and its working fawless.

1 thing i did notice is the "buienradar app" making allot of requests from the buienradar server, and homey used to disconnect from wifi allot, i uninstalled the app and all is good now, dont have to reboot homey anymore couse of a wifi loss.

My 2 cents.
    edited August 2017
    MarcelKuijper good for you!
    But what does this really say? This means buying a homey is a 300 Euro gamble. If you are lucky it works, if you are out of luck you have bought an expensive led ring for 300 Euro.

The whole problem is stated within your reply: if people report problems, homey fan boys immediatly reply that everything is fine. Nothing get solved by Athom. At least, I don't see it. After such a long time still crap and they are working on nice selling point stuff instead of dealing with problems some people have with that thing.

I will never suggest someone to buy a homey.
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited August 2017

Modbreak
    This is not a topic to talk about who is right or who is wrong. Every user and every situation has his own. Do you don't like Homey thats fine do you like Homey is also fine. Lots of topics that Homey is spinning like never before and lots of topics with problems, welcome in the world of IT and automation :) Let's get back on topic instead of talking about @underground his projects with a pi, if it's needed we have a offtopic part where a dedicated topic can be made to talk about it. More posts about this will be deleted because this topic didn't ask for a pi or a discussion about that.

• MarcelKuijperMarcelKuijper Member
    edited August 2017
    @underground you little carebear i was not responding to you, it was actualy "on topic" responding to the TS asking what the status of homey was.
    Just shared my experience.