This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Fibaro Dimmer 2 & Bypass without a load doesnt work well

edited July 2017 in Devices
hi all, 
I just connected a fibaro dimmer 2 (v3.5) with a bypass 2, but without any load after that. 
The set is removed a little bit from homey, but another zwave plug next to it works well, and I cannot get it to work well. 

What is happening:
There is a wall switch (momentary i believe (flips back to start position)) with a 2 wire setup + control that doesnt go anywhere :)
so there is no load. I would however like to use that fibaro dimmer 2 with wall switch to use the wall switch to activate other devices via flows. According to Fibaro that could work with a bypass. 

I tried a lamp connected to it earlier and everything seemed to be fine. 

but now without bypass the dimmer goes in protective mode and doesnt except any input (software, or wall switch). 
with bypass i have the following behavior:
- via homey i can switch the dimmer on and off, this sometimes goes well, sometimes it takes several seconds before it switches, sometimes i need to try again to switch it on and off. usually it goes within a good 1-2 seconds. 
- via the wall switch it is mostly a miss, but sometimes it does switch. it also frequently changes the 'dim' level, but not switching the device on or off :S

what the heck can i do about this? 

Comments

• RebtorRebtor Member
    - via homey i can switch the dimmer on and off, this sometimes goes well, sometimes it takes several seconds before it switches, sometimes i need to try again to switch it on and off. usually it goes within a good 1-2 seconds.

In the homey interface go to settings - Zwave - stuf for geeks. In the network graph (make a screendump) does that dimmer show close to homey with many connections go to it or is it far away. Slow switching in my experiance is usualy due to poor reception. So it needs a lot of hops and retries before it switches. If you just added the device to the network. The network still needs to "learn" how it can reach the node and that usualy sorts its self out after a while.

- via the wall switch it is mostly a miss, but sometimes it does switch. it also frequently changes the 'dim' level, but not switching the device on or off :S

Are you sure your dimmer where the switch is connceted to is set to in your case "kortstondige schakelaar" (momentary). 
    Be sure to not doubble press with these kind of dimmers. Because the default way they behave is press - on press again directly after go to dimm mode - press again set the dimm setting. So to turn on / off a light you will have to press wait for the light to turn on, wait a second or 2 and then press again to turn it off again. If you go to quick and you are in dimm mode.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    For zwave device -> zwave device, you could also set a direct association between the devices, that will speed up the response-time.
  • Rebtor said:

In the homey interface go to settings - Zwave - stuf for geeks. In the network graph (make a screendump) does that dimmer show close to homey with many connections go to it or is it far away. Slow switching in my experiance is usualy due to poor reception. So it needs a lot of hops and retries before it switches. If you just added the device to the network. The network still needs to "learn" how it can reach the node and that usualy sorts its self out after a while.

Are you sure your dimmer where the switch is connceted to is set to in your case "kortstondige schakelaar" (momentary). 
    Be sure to not doubble press with these kind of dimmers. Because the default way they behave is press - on press again directly after go to dimm mode - press again set the dimm setting. So to turn on / off a light you will have to press wait for the light to turn on, wait a second or 2 and then press again to turn it off again. If you go to quick and you are in dimm mode.

here is a screenshot of the location and the other paths. 
    could be it then that its just 'slow' and indeed lets hope it will correct over time. 

for the wall switch, I tried toggle AND momentary and it seems to be hit and miss. Maybe in my impatience I probably clicked it twice or more ;) 

Its just so strange it sometimes works, and then it doesnt for a couple times... 
  • bvdbos said:
    For zwave device -> zwave device, you could also set a direct association between the devices, that will speed up the response-time.
    I might give that a try as well - as the devices in this case are in the same room & level, while homey is 1 floor down. 
    (but the floor this one is in also has already 5 other Zwave devices, so should be enough to build a strong network)
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    With direct association you bypass Homey so that will be quicker for sure...
  • bvdbos said:
    With direct association you bypass Homey so that will be quicker for sure...
    yeah but im still a bit worried that the manual wall switch isnt working well either, but it will exclude the controller delay as a possible source of trouble

• This morning I tried the wall switch a couple times and interestingly enough... for at least a couple tried, it was able to switch the dimmer 2 on, but not off.. so i did that via homey's app. strange right?
  • edited July 2017
    well small update, the dimmer 2 now swithces between min and max dim setting when pressing the wall switch. 
    ON can also be done via wall switch but OFF isnt possible via the wall switch. 

also it seems that the system almost takes 5 seconds before switching + triggering a flow switching another zwave wallplug. maybe its distance, not sure, kinda slow 5 seconds...

(will update to 1.3.2 maybe the zwave will improve ;))
    (it didnt help - only seemed to have make it worse)