This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

fibaro fgsd-002 smoke sensor

2»

Comments

• caseda said:
    [...]

Version 1.4.3 of the app, it will ALSO listen to the "Notification: There is smoke!".
    The notification is always send, without having the user to change anything.

Listening to "Smoke Alarm" is the only one that has been implemented ever since the driver was added.
    This was just because of not enough researching and testing and the inexperience of creating z-wave drivers.
    v1.4.2 added the "Command ON" listening.. this due to how the older smoke sensor version works
    (it only can send the "Smoke Alarm", and or "Command ON")
    Wow, excellent explanation!  <3

On thing about the battery.  When you remove/insert it again, it's set at 100%.
    But doesn't it measure the voltage, so it will very quickly drop to a more realistic percentage?
    As far as I know, that's how most devices measure battery power?
  • CyberSponkCyberSponk Member
    edited April 2017
     But doesn't it measure the voltage, so it will very quickly drop to a more realistic percentage?
    On my Devices > No. I made this (Battery In/Out) sometimes during the last month. Was wondering that the Battery-State always (Batteries round about 8 Month old) was 100%. So the explanation from @caseda confirmed this.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2017
    Fibaro does measure the voltage, but from the level it starts at. (when Inserted)
    For the main reason that not all batteries have the same voltage from the start (even at 100%)

You can try to leave out the battery for a few hours, this will let the battery slowly rise its voltage to -"maximum" and then add it to the smoke sensor, then the voltage should fall quickly/quicker to a more realistic value.
    Disclaimer though, does not work for all batteries.
  • arndarnd Member
    Stil give`s - -  after update ?  

• arndarnd Member
    arnd said:
    Stil give`s - -  after update ?  

• casedacaseda Member
    edited April 2017
    there has been no 1.4.3 update? :wink:

(yet)
  • No. Not for me. Last check round about 1700 o'clock.
  • OGSOGS Member
    Again only temperature measurement and the rest is not there
    Homey 1.3.2
    Fibaro app 1.5.3
    I re-added them 2 weeks ago (after the 1.5.3 update) but after approx 1 week only temperature was showing
    Is this still a known problem or should I report at Github?

• Think @caseda can say something here. Hope.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2017
    We have done everything we could do for the fibaro smoke sensor to report its current state (99.9% of the time False/Off)
    but the fibaro smoke sensors just won't send its current state when it wakes up (every 6 hours), only on force wake up (3 times click of the button)

we can't change anything of course in the smoke sensor itself so it does report its states.

so it is now just a device issue, not an homey issue.

The only thing i could do is give a false sense of security by setting the state of the smoke sensor to False/Off by default, but that won't change anything in the workings, it will still trigger on smoke like it should... just the current state in homey is null (no current state available) instead of a fake false..
  • OGSOGS Member
    Hi Caseda,
    so the fibaro smoke sensors are useless with Homey?
    except as a temperature sensor. 
    Or is there some setting in the sensor that could do the trick?
    how does it work with the Fibaro controller or other brands?

• casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2017
    @OGS
    let me quote the most important sentence, but also combine/enhance it a little:

The smoke sensor does not give a current state, but DOES work/trigger when sensing smoke.

So is it useless?
    no, it just gives no current state, which again is 99.9% of the time "False/Alarm off" anyway.

The difference between homey and other controllers like fibaro: they just give you that False Sense of Security, by just always giving False as a value, even if they don't know the Real value.
  • OGSOGS Member
    Hi Caseda,
    I can live with that but it would be nice to see the battery status as an empty smoke sensor doesn't work anymore :# and it would be nice to know in advance when to go and buy some battery. 
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2017
    @OGS
    there is only 1 fibaro device (that i know of) that actually measures the battery level, and that is the keyfob.

so even if you knew the battery level of the smoke sensor it will most likely give you 100%, even if the battery is not 100%.
    How i know this? because i have 2 of them, and have NEVER seen another level then 100% come from the smoke sensor.
    i have seen it from the motion sensor (73%), but after a reset of the device, it was nicely on 100% again... :confused:

advice?
    just test the smoke sensor once in a while, like those nice and old (non smart) smoke sensors.
    or feel lucky and it will start beeping when the battery voltage gets too low (i have had this with one of my smoke sensors now)
  • LuukvDLuukvD Member
    So.. if   my house burns down the homey won't notice and won't send me a message?!
  • casedacaseda Member
    @LuukvD
    If the battery is dead, then no smoke sensor in existence can do that for you. 

If the battery is not dead, and you made a flow for it... Then it will nicely activate that flow for you. 

Go blame to fibaro for not measuring the battery level actively, only passively :wink:
  • caseda said:
    @LuukvD
    If the battery is dead, then no smoke sensor in existence can do that for you. 

If the battery is not dead, and you made a flow for it... Then it will nicely activate that flow for you. 

Go blame to fibaro for not measuring the battery level actively, only passively :wink:
    Hi,

i just installed two of the fibaro smoke sensors, i can live with it not giving a false "no" but the temperature reading also has a dash -. This happens after a day or so. Has anything changed? Does it give the temp reading every 6 hours too? or more often. Thanks for the answer. 
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited January 2018
    @MichaelD
    by default the temperature only reports if the change is bigger then 1 full degree celcius from the previous time it was send, the interval/threshold is way lower, only 10 seconds need to at least have past
  • MichaelDMichaelD Member
    edited January 2018
    caseda said:
    @MichaelD
    by default the temperature only reports if the change is bigger then 1 full degree celcius from the previous time it was send, the interval/threshold is way lower, only 10 seconds need to at least have past

Ok i understand that. So if the temp does not change the fibaro will report null? and homey shows a dash? Shouldnt it just report the current temp anyway? The temp change report is set to 0,1 on my smoke sensor. So if the temp changes it will send the new temp even though the wakeup interval is set to 21600seconds?
  • wakeup time is by default never used for sending information, for any battery device (with a few exceptions).
    there are 5 big separate ways to send the information for battery devices:
    1. on interval when threshold is surpassed
    2. threshold when timeout was surpassed
    3. on interval or threshold
    4. only threshold
    5. only interval (though haven't seen a case for this one yet)

so no, it does not need to wake up until it is send.

if nothing changes (or enough change) then nothing will be send.
    homey will then use old information, if you reboot and the value is older then 30 minutes, then it is flagged "too old" and is not used anymore, so displaying a "none" ( - ).
  • caseda said:
    wakeup time is by default never used for sending information, for any battery device (with a few exceptions).
    there are 5 big separate ways to send the information for battery devices:
    1. on interval when threshold is surpassed
    2. threshold when timeout was surpassed
    3. on interval or threshold
    4. only threshold
    5. only interval (though haven't seen a case for this one yet)

so no, it does not need to wake up until it is send.

if nothing changes (or enough change) then nothing will be send.
    homey will then use old information, if you reboot and the value is older then 30 minutes, then it is flagged "too old" and is not used anymore, so displaying a "none" ( - ).
    Thanks! that explains it. I was installing switches and the power was switched off a couple of times (so homey rebooted) Value was probably older than 30 min. Will keep an eye on it. Thanks again for the quick response.