This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

When will generic Bluetooth be fully available

Nice to see that all kind of developments are being made. But what about generic Bluetooth. I want to connect with a bluetooth speaker and other bluetooth devices such as my phone. 

When can we expect this to happen. It's nice to see that you have developed a dirver for Sonos. But I don't have a Sonos. I have different kinds of Bluetooth speakers and I want to connect to that equiment. I have been patient enough about this basic feature so when will it be evailable. 

Comments

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited November 2016
    When someone makes an app for it? That someone could also be you...

But the good news is:

our Homey roadmap is as follows:
    • Homey v1.1.0 - Music + Speakers (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi)

• Well first the Api needs to be implemented by Athom before we can create app's for bluetooth devices. So well yeah.. The community is waiting for Athom to release it. And as far as I know Athom is waiting for a bug to be fixed.
  • Interestingly enough, the first app using bluetooth is on the appstore already. I don't know if it works (well), but appearantly bluetooth is working.

https://apps.athom.com/app/com.mipow.playbulb
  • we have a winner . its Koen....
  • Interestingly enough, the first app using bluetooth is on the appstore already. I don't know if it works (well), but appearantly bluetooth is working.

Just received an MiPow  Smart bulb and i can't get it connected to Homey.
    Homey doesn't find any new devices.

• I've just received my Push.js buttons, and would like to implement this at Homey. But I can't find any bluetooth functions, or am I missing something?
  • I've just received my Push.js buttons, and would like to implement this at Homey. But I can't find any bluetooth functions, or am I missing something?
    You are missing a user friendly implementation of Bluetooth. Although the Bluetooth chip has been activated since 1.0.x it's not available yet for the common user. It requires some extra libraries, not sure exactly. You will have to be patient.
  • Is er al zicht op een datum wanneer de "gewone gebruiker" ook gebruik kan gaan maken van de bluetooth functie op de Homey?
  • @Bram the community has been waiting quite a while now for clear communication about what is going on with Bluetooth. What is the reason the current implementation is flaky and is there any estimate on when we can expect proper Bluetooth support?

In the latest status update from Emile he only mentions that Bluetooth audio should not be forgotten but that's just vague and says nothing about generic Bluetooth support (like for Flic buttons).

It would be nice if you could have the team shed some light on it. Also if it's not positive news it's still better than none.

Just received an MiPow  Smart bulb and i can't get it connected to Homey.
    Homey doesn't find any new devices.

Just a update for this problem, i've been waiting for over 6 months. Communication from Athom is horrible, i've got the expectation that they are working on the problem, send logs from my homey. But no clear communiction for months now.

• Hi all,

I have to agree that I am disappointed by the lack of Bluetooth support. I purchased some Beewi devices back in february 2016; because Emile stated that generic Bluetooth support would be available in about a month... unfortunately we are almost 17 months down the line and there is no real progress wrt Bluetooth. 

https://forum.athom.com/discussion/826/beewi-bluetooth-controlled-devices

While I am at it; personally: 

- I do not care at all about voice recognition. 
    - I do not care at all about Music
    - I bought Homey for it's cross-protocol capabilities and am slightly disappointed by the lack of proper 
    Bluetooth, Kaku and IR support. 
    - I strongly disagree on the 'mobile-only' strategy as laid out in a recent post by Emile. I think this would be a real bad move.

That said, I do appreciate the product because at least I can create good insights of my Honeywell Evohome system, which is impossible with Evohome itself. Also, the LED ring gimmick is nice. And overall, many devices do integrate easily and properly. It is just that it seems the development is focused on aesthetics and more gimmicks (music!) instead of fixing long overdue issues with the basic functionality. 
    How could we steer the direction of the development team? There are these Trello cards but that doesn't seem to have much effect either. 

Thanks for listening :)

• BramBram Member
    I cannot give you an exact date on when bluetooth audio will be supported, the only thing I can tell you is that we are hard at work trying to implement it as soon as possible. So bear with me for a little bit longer!
  • PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited July 2017
    Bram said:
    I cannot give you an exact date on when bluetooth audio will be supported, the only thing I can tell you is that we are hard at work trying to implement it as soon as possible. So bear with me for a little bit longer!
    Thanx for the response @Bram. We are however (or at least me) not asking for an exact date but for insights why it's taking so long. And we are not asking about Bluetooth audio but a generic Bluetooth implementation that allows us to control our Bluetooth devices.

• BramBram Member
    @Phuturist Ah okay, I misunderstood about the bluetooth audio! What the exact reason is why it is taking some time to implement it I don't know. I asked the developers and they told me that they are working on it and trying to implement it as soon as possible
  • swtttswttt Member
    @Phuturist
    I have played with bluetooth already for a bit, and tried to get the Flic buttons to work.
    It seems (and i am not sure) they are using a fork of Noble (some BT lib for Nodejs, have seen a fork on their github if i am not mistaken).
    Discovery etc. is working, got the flic buttons paired etc., it just can't listen to the notifications that are sent yet. (something that needs to be added as well).
    As far as i understanded they are missing parts for BT audio as well.
    I don't know much about BT though, so i don't know any specifics... 

Depending on what kind of bluetooth device you want to control, you might already be able to get it work (BT lib might change ofcourse, so your efforts could be gone on a next update)

• PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited July 2017
    swttt said:
    @Phuturist
    I have played with bluetooth already for a bit, and tried to get the Flic buttons to work.
    It seems (and i am not sure) they are using a fork of Noble (some BT lib for Nodejs, have seen a fork on their github if i am not mistaken).
    Discovery etc. is working, got the flic buttons paired etc., it just can't listen to the notifications that are sent yet. (something that needs to be added as well).
    As far as i understanded they are missing parts for BT audio as well.
    I don't know much about BT though, so i don't know any specifics... 

Depending on what kind of bluetooth device you want to control, you might already be able to get it work (BT lib might change ofcourse, so your efforts could be gone on a next update)

I'm aware of this but it actually proofs my point. It's the community that is messing with whatever is available for Bluetooth but it's not clear what is actually working and any documentation has been obsolete as well until today (today the documenation was updated to the SDK 2 which includes BLE classes).

This all results in zero development for Bluetooth devices and that has been the case for over 7 months now hence the growing frustation among some of the Homey users. The delays might have very good reasons but with hardly any communication from Athom about what is going on this is all just guessing and it does not feel right. Are they having trouble to get it right, will it ever work etc..

But I'll have a little more faith, if even Bram can only get "will be implemented as soon as possible" from the Athom team I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get any more info than what's already available,  so I'll STFU now.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    You have more info then @bram apparently ;)
    So SDKv2 or in other words Homey 1.5 FW... Should have been in DP already if it wasn't for the delay on 1.4...

• JPeJPe Member
    @bvdbos   I was thinking this is an English conversation, not "steno" ???????
  • @Phuturist discovered the development documentation for the SDK2, which includes the development documentation for utilizing the Bluetooth chip...

@bvdbos Actually, yesterday it was announced that 1.5 (with Zigbee, SDK2 and OR) will be released to Development Preview (DP) on very short term... instead of another 1.4 release
  • terryterry Member
    edited November 2017

Any word on when  generic Bluetooth audio is coming out?

I have a Anker Bluetooth speaker, it would be great to have connected to Homey so I can hear it.

• Yes, connecting Bluetooth speakers is a must.

When will this be released?
    Why no answer from dev team?
  • Yes, connecting Bluetooth speakers is a must.

When will this be released?
    Why no answer from dev team?
    This is a community forum, when you want an answer from Athom you need to open up a issue at Github or contact them by support mail
  • As stated earlier, the Bluetooth Audio support is not a must at all. Actually, I couldn't care less for audio or music for that matter. As I ranted last year:
    Hi all,

I have to agree that I am disappointed by the lack of Bluetooth support. I purchased some Beewi devices back in february 2016; because Emile stated that generic Bluetooth support would be available in about a month... unfortunately we are almost 17 months down the line and there is no real progress wrt Bluetooth. 

https://forum.athom.com/discussion/826/beewi-bluetooth-controlled-devices

While I am at it; personally: 

- I do not care at all about voice recognition. 
    - I do not care at all about Music
    - I bought Homey for it's cross-protocol capabilities and am slightly disappointed by the lack of proper 
    Bluetooth, Kaku and IR support. 
    - I strongly disagree on the 'mobile-only' strategy as laid out in a recent post by Emile. I think this would be a real bad move.

That said, I do appreciate the product because at least I can create good insights of my Honeywell Evohome system, which is impossible with Evohome itself. Also, the LED ring gimmick is nice. And overall, many devices do integrate easily and properly. It is just that it seems the development is focused on aesthetics and more gimmicks (music!) instead of fixing long overdue issues with the basic functionality. 
    How could we steer the direction of the development team? There are these Trello cards but that doesn't seem to have much effect either. 

The situation wrt Bluetooth doesn't seem to have changed much since febr. 2016, although there has been a blurp on Trello: https://trello.com/c/OH1WlRmU/10-bluetooth-le-apps-api

That said, I am very happy with a lot of other developments, like HomeyScript and HomeyDuino.

Thanks for listening!