This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

milight

Comments

• here i have big problems with the lights. Now,only 2 of the 8 lightpoints are working !!
  • rtnartna Member
    I restarted the WiFi box. After that one zone of four came back. Restarted the WiFi box again, now three zones are back. The fourth zone has still disappeared after several reboots of the WiFi box. Looks not stable at the moment.
  • rtnartna Member
    Finaly, after a couple of hours waiting and doing nothing, the last zone has come online. Very strange behaviour.
  • ARJARJ Member
    @Robin Any news about a possible update of the milight app?

• I have two homeys, and all the lights in the house are Milight. For me the most important thing homey must do is turn on and Off the lights. Some months ago everything went Well but now the two homey are in the closet and do nothing. It's a shame that it takes so long to handle this issue.  :-(
  • rtnartna Member
    Over here the app works fine on 1.20 RC10. Only after a reboot sometimes it takes very long for the app to see the bridge online.
  • rtna said:
    Over here the app works fine on 1.20 RC10. Only after a reboot sometimes it takes very long for the app to see the bridge online.
    Same here,  works great!   Using old WiFi bridge 

• Too bad @Robin will just not reply,  not here, not on github :(  We would all love a status or an estimation when the new bridge will be available in the app.
  • I have alot of crashes.. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont. After I restart the app its working again for some days..Anyone else having those proublems?

• rtnartna Member
    App is working perfect here. It only needs a restart after rebooting the Homey.
  • it is not working att all here; the old and new bridge :-(

• 2Be2Be Member
    Old bridge is working fine over here. New bridge is not supported yet, so doesn't work.
    Had the same problems some of you mention when my old bridge was connected to my router for usb power. Now it has it's own usb adapter and it works fine. So maybe you could try that if you have problems with the bridge.
  • Hi @Robin

It has been a while now since the first problems started to occur for multiple MiLight users and even though the new wifi controller has been released for a while now, there is still no support for this.

This is very unfortunate because I believe that there are lots of users that are interested in de new RGB+CCT lighting options that the new wifi controller supports.

Lighting is really one of the most basic and essential elements of domotica, not to say regular home comfort.

That said:
    MiLight clearly is the most value for money solution at the moment that delivers the 'smart lighting' experience (a.k.a. RGB+CCT) that many domotica enthousiasts are looking for when buying the Homey.

This is why I would like to ask you guys at @Athom to provide better support for this in the near future.

Any idea if and when solid support for the whole MiLight solution could be expected?

Best Regards!
  • casedacaseda Member
    @FutureHome
    Athom is not actively patrolling the forum, so don't expect (the right) robin (you are now mentioning the wrong robin) to answer this question.

But to answer your question, he is working on the mi-light app (now last commit is 4 days ago as of my writing this), which will include the iBox controller too.
    you can see the code and the progress on github
    and i guess he is now in testing fase, so you can expect it in the very near future.

though just as a side note, don't expect a small team like athom to add support and fix all the issues in a short amount of time, there are a lot of other things to work on, and milight is only 1 brand of the 1000's of brands. even if you find it to be "best bang for buck" there are cheaper (and maybe even better) things available then milight at the moment :wink:
    If robin would be working full time it might be a different story, but he is not a full time employee, he is still studying, and he is not the only developer that is not a fulltime employee.
    Plus, The community could also have taken the step to fix/add to the app..
  • @caseda

Thanks for your clear and fast answer. I'm looking forward to the update. Just out of curiosity.. what better alternatives for MiLight RGB+CCT are you referring to?
  • 2Be2Be Member
    @caseda

I am also curious for the better bang for buck alternative. Have you ever looked at the Futlight/Milight price list and the new RGB + CCT series?
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited June 2017
    for rgbww it's not a very big option list as the only one still is hue (?) as that is still pretty new, but i won't worry it will blaze within now and end of this year with multiple options.
    But now that zigbee is going to be implemented in homey in 1.4 the hue option is pretty much the same price if you buy all your stuff in the Europeaan country you life in, but then real guarantee on your quality of the LEDs and color reproduction, oh and don't forget the current state callback, which is completely lacking still on milight.

The same happend with RGBW strips, 2-3 years ago, when i got my first rgbw strips, there was only milight as controller, and only very limited range of LED strips (only 3 types), now there are many more options, with controllers, in z-wave (fibaro, qubino, aeotec), zigbee (hue, lifx, osram), wifi (milight), propitiatory (dmx, raspberry, arduino)
    even the strips types have increased in amount, going from 6-8 different colors of white, to the white in the RGB package.
    and even the smart leds are booming currently, with the ease of control with a raspberry (see as an example hyperion)

and rgbww isn't that unique, i've build in the fibaro rgbw controller, like it acts as rgbww controller, being able to change the color temperature, calibrated on the color of philips hue.
    and sure it's not real "white's" when using just rgb but that is the same for the quality of those chinese vendor white LEDs. plus that those strips are still way more cheap then rgbww
  • Thanks @caseda

It's clear that there are a decent amout of options available. Altough for RGB-CCT purposes, I'm not convinced due to prices that are way higher. For instance; the RGBW controller from Fibaro costs 60 euro's compaired to the milight RGB-CCT controller for under 10 euro's.

I will probably use a bunch of these RGB-CCT led panels and hook them up to milight RGB-CCT controllers. I have tested one and am very pleased with energy consumption and lumens (36w, 3600 lums) and the color reproduction is also great.

https://www.ledpaneelgroothandel.nl/led-paneel-rgbww-60-60

Plus I still got the option to upgrade to a Fibaro RGBW controller in the future. The only downside to this upgrade would be replacing all Milight wall and remote controllers.

Will try to post some pictures or video's of the project/end result around juli/august.
  • when will the milight app be updated ? it's about 6 months now that there are problems.

is there no solution?

thx

• casedacaseda Member
    edited June 2017
    @scenarbelgium as I mentioned before, the app is still being worked on / being finished.
    You can try to side load if you are that desperate to even read 5 messages back about the update that is pretty much finished, and is in testing phase. 

Link
  • I installed the Milight beta update and it seens to work fine. The configuration as well as the flows work fine!
  • Does anybody know if it's possible to connect multiple IBox / Wifi Controllers to Homey, so that you end up with more than 4 zones that can be controlled individually?

A strong point of Philips Hue is that each light can be connected individually. If we could somehow mimic this property by adding multiple (cheap) iBox bridges, that would be very nice!
  • djeskodjesko Member
    Does anybody know if it's possible to connect multiple IBox / Wifi Controllers to Homey, so that you end up with more than 4 zones that can be controlled individually?

A strong point of Philips Hue is that each light can be connected individually. If we could somehow mimic this property by adding multiple (cheap) iBox bridges, that would be very nice!
    I'm using two WiFi boxes,  it works 
  • djesko said:
    Does anybody know if it's possible to connect multiple IBox / Wifi Controllers to Homey, so that you end up with more than 4 zones that can be controlled individually?

I'm using two WiFi boxes,  it works 
    Thanks @djesko

• 0burner00burner0 Member
    edited July 2017
    Couldnt find the answer but is this wifi box supported?

https://milights.nl/milight-bediening-en-toebehoren/milight-wifi-ibox2-voor-ios-en-android-app.html

I use the old wifi box (supports 4 zones) now, and I was wondering why the app only has the option random Disco mode. I'm only using the slow fade option and white option, but some times I have to open the app because it is on red blinking mode.

Is it possible to add the different modes separtly?
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited July 2017
    @0burner0 in the beta app it is

Which also includes separate modes for the bridges that support it. The old bridges you could only go to the next mode when pressing the button /activating the flow card
  • caseda said:
    @0burner0 in the beta app it is

Which also includes separate modes for the bridges that support it. The old bridges you could only go to the next mode when pressing the button /activating the flow card
    Thnx order a new box
  • Were can i find the beta app
    Thanx
  • casedacaseda Member
    @winnetoe go to the app in the app store, and press on the link that you want to go to the beta app. 
    Be careful that if you want to return to stable, it will reset the app, and thus a re-include is needed.
    (you can of course stay in the beta app) 

If you don't want that you could sideload the app from github if you know how, as you can install the stable app over that version
  • winnetoewinnetoe Member
    edited July 2017
    Its works thank you