This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Looking for a "listening" (z-wave)sensor that acts like a permanent open microphone.

Extending my arsenal of z-wave devices I would like to buy a device that acts like a microphone. The idea is when a certain threshold is reached (f.i. 60db) a specific flow is triggered. Much the same as a PIR uses the LUX measurements. Some weather resistance would be good since it is meant for (sheltered) outside use.

Anyone know of such a device, preferable z-wave?

Comments

• RuudvBRuudvB Member
    RuudvB said:
    Extending my arsenal of z-wave devices I would like to buy a device that acts like a microphone. The idea is when a certain threshold is reached (f.i. 60db) a specific flow is triggered. Much the same as a PIR uses the LUX measurements. Some weather resistance would be good since it is meant for (sheltered) outside use.

Anyone know of such a device, preferable z-wave? And of course supported by a homey app.

• casedacaseda Member
    there aren't many sound sensors around, the only one that is already out is the netatmo weather station, but you will have a delay of max 10 minutes.

You could go the my sensors route, and thus be a little creative and build it your self.

Or little bits route, and create an app for it

Or wait for aeotec (z-wave) to come out with their sound sensor, which is scheduled to come out somewhere this year
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    caseda said:
    there aren't many sound sensors around, the only one that is already out is the netatmo weather station, but you will have a delay of max 10 minutes.

You could go the my sensors route, and thus be a little creative and build it your self.

Or little bits route, and create an app for it

Or wait for aeotec (z-wave) to come out with their sound sensor, which is scheduled to come out somewhere this year
    Delays are not an option for the target I'm aiming for. Both routes you suggest are fine, but not for me I'm afraid. I'm in the market of "buying only". Developing good working flows for homey is enough challenge for me at the moment :)

The aeotec might just be the thing I'm looking for.... Now just waiting for the spec's and a release date...  
  • zwave is slow. so i guess not a single zwave sound sensor will be an option then .....
    Go for tcp/ip and a esp8266 should be easy and fast
  • I use point (minut). Integration via ifttt to trigger a Homey flow. 
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    hnijveen said:
    I use point (minut). Integration via ifttt to trigger a Homey flow. 
    I guess you mean this? https://minut.com/

I must be very stupid, after scrolling the site 4 times I still do NOT understand what this thing does.... Hopefully you can enlighten me? 

• RuudvBRuudvB Member
    mruiter said:
    zwave is slow. so i guess not a single zwave sound sensor will be an option then .....
    Go for tcp/ip and a esp8266 should be easy and fast
    From what I understand the esp8266 is a module to be built-in somewhere? Not really a plug&play device to pair with homey?
  • RuudvB said:
    hnijveen said:
    I use point (minut). Integration via ifttt to trigger a Homey flow. 
    I guess you mean this? https://minut.com/

I must be very stupid, after scrolling the site 4 times I still do NOT understand what this thing does.... Hopefully you can enlighten me? 

https://minut.com/faq/#how-point-works. In the point app you can define all kind of thresholds. If such an event occurs you can use ifttt to trigger a flow in Homey.
  • In short, it triggers on temp, humidity, air quality & sound (per device threshold setting). Additionally I use it as one of the devices to define presence state for my family (together with Homey app, Nest, ..)
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    hnijveen said:
    In short, it triggers on temp, humidity, air quality & sound (per device threshold setting). Additionally I use it as one of the devices to define presence state for my family (together with Homey app, Nest, ..)
    I have read the faq, it does not clearify anything for me. What a weird way of describing what the thing does... Why aren't they more explanatory...

You talk about threshold settings, you should know since you own such a unit. Why is there not more information on this stupid website? This is the 3rd time I tried to figure out if I can use this thing for my purposes, the site offers no answers only a lot of non specific blabla...

They should hire someone who can setup some kind of spec-sheet. I'm off, completely irritated about the lack of understandable information. I guess they just don't want to sell the damn thing :(
  • edited July 2017
    I suggest to check the minut forum or just drop them an email. If you want, I could share some screens from the app. It's just a device monitoring a home.
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    hnijveen said:
    I suggest to check the minut forum or just drop them an email. If you want, I could share some screens from the app. It's just a device monitoring a home.
    Thank you for your offer but like stated above the whole product presentation without any details has turned me off completely...
  • That is ok. Although I understand your point, the product itself is quite ok. It does monitor humidity, sound, air quality and presence. I have multiple devices having simular features (Nest, Netatmo, Fibaro) but non of them is capable to work with sound. Hence my initial reply.
  • @RuudvBhttps://minut.com/coming2017/. So you can record a sound at via ifttt start a Homey flow.
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    hnijveen said:
    @RuudvBhttps://minut.com/coming2017/. So you can record a sound at via ifttt start a Homey flow.
    Hmmm, this looks promising... 

Since you already own such a point device, how weather/moist proof do you think it is? Asking this because I need to use the unit outside, in open air but sheltered under a roof.

Also, is it WiFi or maybe Z-wave based?
  • The device is for inside, so you have to protect it sufficient to use it outside. Wifi, it is.