This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
GH

Connect Google home to homey?

Comments

• myllesmylles Member
    hnijveen said:
    Google Home & Homey are connected using the Google app. Very nice new integration! Great work.
    How? Could you explain a litte more?
  • In the Google Home app, select Assistant apps and look for Homey: 
  • myllesmylles Member
    great. thanks
  • hnijveen said:
    In the Google Home app, select Assistant apps and look for Homey: 
    Do you need to be set to EN US as I'm set to UK and it's not appearing for me?
  • I have set the default language on my android phone to English to test Google Home and I can now select the Homey service!

When I say Talk to Homey in the beginning google understood Homie instead. After some tries it changed to Talk to Homey so it's learning (I think).

After understanding me right google says: 'Oke, Getting Homey' but then google says: 'There are no Homeys available for selection'. Does someone knows what I have to configure in order to let google understand which Homey (I have only one) to use? 
  • Make sure you select US as region.Install the google homey app. If needed set up multiple Google Home users, train them and you a good to go.

• Thx! I will try in the morning, totally forgot the Homey side.
  • WimstradamusWimstradamus Member
    edited June 2017
    I have set the default language on my android phone to English to test Google Home and I can now select the Homey service!

When I say Talk to Homey in the beginning google understood Homie instead. After some tries it changed to Talk to Homey so it's learning (I think).

After understanding me right google says: 'Oke, Getting Homey' but then google says: 'There are no Homeys available for selection'. Does someone knows what I have to configure in order to let google understand which Homey (I have only one) to use? 
    open assistent and say: talk to Homey
    assisten awnsers with it looks like is your account in not linked.

and give a popup to link Homey.

Make sure Homey's language is English.

• I have set the default language on my android phone to English to test Google Home and I can now select the Homey service!

open assistent and say: talk to Homey
    assisten awnsers with it looks like is your account in not linked.

and give a popup to link Homey.

Mine is linked:

• Where do you see that? 
    And is your Homey's language set in English?
  • I just did, unlinked, linked again and it shows something new:

• Here it still looks like you are right; not linked

• It's working:

It just doesn't understand talk to Homey ;-)

• It's working really well! Also ordered a Google Home, winning combo with Homey controlling everything Google can't and with the maximum control over you flows.

1. You can complain (like Dutch people always do ;-) )
    2. Make the best of it

What I really like are the shortcuts in Google Assistent; When I say: Ok Google, TV on (or Ok Google, Watch TV, or...) Google will sent ok Homey, Telly On (I don't want to use the internal TV on, since I'm using Harmony to controle everything) and everything works perfect!

Thanks for the integration, can't wait until this works in Dutch...  
  • True, it is great. also playing with the shortcuts. It is fun, and it does eliminate the Hey Google, tell Homey .... but unfortunately it cannot combine 2 instructions (eg. Switch on my Marantz amp and play a Spotify playlist). This shouldn't be a problem if Homey was capable to work with Spotify (other then Sonos). 
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Homey doesn't do that by itself either but fortunately there's an app for almost everything:
    https://apps.athom.com/app/homey.better.voice
  • Better voice will in my example not help at all. With GH, the voice recon is perfect, using shortcuts it can easily fire of Homey flows and start a Spotify stream to my amp. But I need two shortcuts instead of one giving two instructions. As long as Homey is not capable to handle Spotify, I guess, there is no way around this.
  • awilsawils Member
    Hi, I've just got a google home and a homey and am on a very steep learning curve. 

I've changed my google assistant location to English US (on settings on android phone) and can't see anything in the list of 'home control' devices that looks like homey or athom B.V.? How did you get the homey linked to the GH?

thanks!
  • edited June 2017
    The answer is already in this topic (a few replies earlier).
  • awilsawils Member
    I've followed the above instructions- changed my assistant language to English (US) and searched for a google assistant app. There's a long list of apps incl smartthings etc but no Homey. Have I missed a step?

I also tried asking the assistant to 'link to homey' (comes up as link to homie) or 'talk to homey' (talk to homie) but there's no option to link them. But this appears to be the step AFTER linking the GH and homey through the google home app.
  • awilsawils Member
    I eventually got there when realising that it wasn't a Home Control app I was trying to add- but an Assistant App from the services list. I hadn't noticed the Assistant Apps creep in when I changed the language. Thanks for responding hnijveen.
  • Have fun with it!

• Google Home installed and this is a real good marriage  :p shortcuts makes me really happy. Harmony app doesn't work yet, it's complaining that only us is supported, but even when I set my harmony account to us it doesn't work. Any suggestions?  Currently just using Harmony via Homey which is fine for turning on/off things but not for selecting channels.
  • edited July 2017
    Try using Harmony via GH, currently controlling media through GH (Spotify, TV, ..) zwave, flows, other more intel stuff for Homey
  • Jeroenski74Jeroenski74 Member
    edited July 2017
    hnijveen said:
    Try using Harmony via GH, currently controlling media through GH (Spotify, TV, ..) zwave, flows, other more intel stuff for Homey
    This is exactly the problem; I cannot link GH and Harmony:

• hnijveen said:

Hi @Jeroenski74! I ran into the same problem but I was able to solve it by doing the whole setup over a VPN. After that, I have been able to use it without using the same VPN.

Maybe worth a try!
  • Is a physical Google Home devices required for this integration? Or is it possible to link Homey to the virtual assistant on a Google Pixel?
  • lenonline said:
    hnijveen said:

Hi @Jeroenski74! I ran into the same problem but I was able to solve it by doing the whole setup over a VPN. After that, I have been able to use it without using the same VPN.

Maybe worth a try!
    Thx I tried IPVanish with different us VPN servers but still the same warning so somewhere I still Dutch
  • EvertorN said:
    Is a physical Google Home devices required for this integration? Or is it possible to link Homey to the virtual assistant on a Google Pixel?
    @EvertorN, you don't need a physical GH, Google assistant on any phone with English settings should work.