This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey unfair to my kids

I have setup a flow to decide which of my kids has to shower first. I thought it a fun way to end a daily discussion, but it turned out as a big frustration for one of my kids. Homey has picked him almost every day until now and that for 2 weeks. Yesterday I bareley could keep him from throwing Homey through the room and he refuses to shower first for at least two weeks. Thanks to Homey it is now me who is under the shower first at 19:00!

The flow is simple. When Homey hears the word 'shower' it then uses a 'Say Something' card with two sentences seperated by a semi colon.

Almost everyday (8 out of 10) Homey picks the same sentence. However, when you ask multiple times directly after one another, it seems evenly randomized. Statistically this chance would be very low.

I swapped the sentences, but still the same result.

Why does it not do as I expected? How can I fix this?

Comments

• I once tried to make a flow which chooses a or b depending on the seconds being even or uneven. My conclusion was that writing an app for it might be easier the figuring out how to do the conversation in a flow... 

Also, you should note that randomness is often unfair. If you want to ensure fairness, you should rebalance the chance based on both recent and full history...

The best solution is to teach your kids rock paper scissors lizard spock. It is just as unfair as homey, but atlease it gives the illusion of control :)

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    You could use mathjs to create a random value or use:

• EdTstEdTst Member
    Thnx guys, will try that