This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

[BETA Release] HomeyDash a Dashboard app for homey

Comments

• swtttswttt Member
    @powermarcel10
    Switch the background of homey itself, then it changes in homeydash as well :)
  • TallguyTallguy Member
    edited June 2017
    @swttt  The yourcloudid works and owntracks (which also seems to have had it's share of issues last week) also works again.
    I'll retest Homeydash later today

I do however can't seem to 'save' the setting in the Beta version that the app should start in my mainpage, even though I select it in the settings-page.

• Hi there,
     I installed my homeydash, only i can not see my devices. If I change my wallpaper, he will change in my homeydash. What's wrong?? I'm not a programmer actually! 

• swtttswttt Member
    @michael-smits
    HomeyDash isn't depending on Homey it's layout. You have to add a page with the plus sign in the topbar. Then add widgets to that page by clicking on the newly added page and then you should see a button with add widget.
  • @swttt Sorry it took a bit longer, but the issue is still there. I can connect fine with my clouded, but as soon as I try to connect to homey dash, it'll show me a white screen for a couple of seconds before returning the error about the object.
    I suspect (not sure) that it might be that pop up one normally gets after connecting to homey dash for the first time, the one you have to acknowledge. Maybe that's the culprit?
    I am running the beta version mind you.
  • swtttswttt Member
    @Tallguy
    when using Chrome Could you check your console for error logs? Right mouse->inspect->console tab
  • swtttswttt Member
    Just some little details on the current state of future of homeydash: 

I am still working hard on the background for a new version of HomeyDash, I have had multiple ideas on how i wanted this to work. But again it's just going to be opensource, but now easier for starting devs (just little html and js knowledge is needed) to create their own widgets. First release will be browser based, with only support for chrome. The front-end and back-end aren't loaded from the same code-base, but they do share the same widget source files. Widgets eventually get their own github repo as well. (as a submodule to the front-end and back-end)

I have chose to go with graph.cool, a graphql SaaS that can handle auth/login as well. How this exactly is going to work i'll explain a bit further down.

After the new back-end (settings part) and front-end (the dashboard itself) is solid enough to go stable, i will write an electron app that can be used on desktops to edit and create the dashboards. (only the back-end) I have worked with Electron in the past, this is exactly the way how Homey Desktop is build as well. 

When the electron app is stable enough, i will continue my work on the front-end, and try to port it to phonegap. This would make it possible to at least provide a (semi)native android app, but maybe even iOS later as well.

So in short:
    - Webbased setup and dashboard
    - Electron desktop app for the setup
    - Phonegap app for the dashboard

The idea with the new version is that you login to homeydash, and are able to add different devices. It will start with just homey, but might be able to add Hue directly or any other product with an api later as well. Based on the devices added, you can use certain widgets. These widgets aren't any different then we use now in homeydash. Since everything is securely stored in the cloud, you only have to login into the dashboard and can control it from anywhere. There shouldn't be any troubles with bearer tokens etc.

Then the future: Athom anounced the REST sdk yesterday, this is a huge improvement compared to what we use now. But it might take a while before they are releasing it (i am guessing together with the SDK v2) .
    For now i'll keep developing using the "old" bearer token, because i just have no choise. Later on i might need to create a new beta for the new REST sdk.
  • @swttt sounds great!!! If you have some eyecandy please show it to us :)
    My project is finished and even my wife likes it :)

3.JPG 59.7K
  • WillemWillem Member
    Noticed that I get a error finding my homeydash page ( Cannot GET /:1337 ). On my tablet my Homeydash is still present, and I can use it to switch my lights, but it's impossible now to change the size of the device buttons or even delete them. Don't have a clue what did go wrong. The only thing I did last week, was to switch my homey to English speech, so I could pair it with a Amazon Dot. And that was a big disappointment, so yesterday I switched all back to Dutch again. Is there a relation between messing around with the language and breaking my Dashboard app?

@swttt, thanks for improving this Homeydash app. I think it's a great job !  :) 
  • swtttswttt Member
    @willem huhm...1337 is an older version tho :o you never updated? :/ 
  • swtttswttt Member
    @0burner0
    The only thing i can share is this image i posted on slack yesterday:

• swttt said:
    @0burner0
    The only thing i can share is this image i posted on slack yesterday:

AH... thats just teasing.... a broken image!!
  • swtttswttt Member
    Ooops... sorry was busy. The wife is away for tonight, so had to find dinner and the mcdonalds is a 30 min drive :( will post image later tonight again
  • WillemWillem Member
    swttt said:
    @willem huhm...1337 is an older version tho :o you never updated? :/ 
    I did install the version 0.0.19. That should be the last version?  Can't find a version number running the dash on my tablet. Would like to now how to update.  In my Homey the setting for the app is 'update automaticly'
    Should I just delete the app from my Homey and re-install everything?
  • swtttswttt Member
    0.0.19 is the latest indeed and isn't using the 1337 port anymore. In homey->settings->homey dash you can find 2 buttons, these link to the setup and dashboard directly. You can check the url there.
  • swtttswttt Member
    Oh and before i forget @konradwalsh .
    Still a big tease, i have spoken about it in the homey dash channel on slack. But had to write the auth/login part instead of using auth0 their lib (was hoping that was working nice enough for me to use out of the box, but it didn't)

Note: The icon behind the password field isn't something in homeydash, but is my password manager ;)

• swttt said:
    Oh and before i forget @konradwalsh .
    Still a big tease, i have spoken about it in the homey dash channel on slack. But had to write the auth/login part instead of using auth0 their lib (was hoping that was working nice enough for me to use out of the box, but it didn't)

Note: The icon behind the password field isn't something in homeydash, but is my password manager ;)

well done!

how do I find you homeydash channel
  • swtttswttt Member
    Only on invite... was used for the alpha and beta releases. Will be used for the same thing as well. Main language used there is dutch but you might be able to watch some screenshots passing by. Just give me your username and ill invite you.
  • @swttt

That's nice. Can you invite me for the dash channel 

Slackname: cliffbroeren
  • swttt said:
    Only on invite... was used for the alpha and beta releases. Will be used for the same thing as well. Main language used there is dutch but you might be able to watch some screenshots passing by. Just give me your username and ill invite you.
    Can you also invite me?

User: jstelten

Thanks!
  • viktorviktor Member
    @swttt
    hi, can i also have an invite? slack: viktor
  • swtttswttt Member
    hahaha, what allot of people wanting to :smile:
    It's not that i am not giving the forum some sneakpeeks tho, but might ask for some input in the slack channel.
  • The Chrome only condition will prevent a lot of people from using it. You think that that will be a limitation that will stay a long time?
  • swtttswttt Member
    It might work with other browsers, but not something i can support. Since the Electron desktop app relies on chrome as well, it is the most obvious choice. 

It's not that it isn't going to work on other browsers at all. When i want to port it to a phonegap app, i need to rely on the safari engine on iOS. Since iOS doesn't allow other browser renderers (as far as i know).

So in short, support from my side and bugfixed will start with Chrome only. But it should work on Safari and other browsers as well.
  • Thanks, it's just that a lot of people I know have picked up old Windows RT Surfaces and are using those.
  • swtttswttt Member
    In the end i even might be able to easily port the frontend to an electron app as well. Would a RT surface be able to run an unsigned exe?
  • Installed Homeydash Beta today. Really really cool! Will be fantastic when everything is supported, I will order a cheap tablet pc now :-) Thanks for all your hard work!
  • swtttswttt Member
    @Joske522
    No problem, next release will take a while but does gives users a bit more flexibility when wanting to create a new widget type :)
  • @Bas Jansen