This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Connected ceiling fan

Hi all

its probably the heat talking right now but i'm looking into a ceiling fan and wondered if anyone has one hooked up to homey? At the moment i have no fan at all, just a ceiling light with a regular dumb switch on the wall.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• You could simpley buy a normal (dumb) ceiling fan and hook it up to an kaku switch ?
  • Got a dumb ceiling fan with lamp, and hooked up a Fibaro switch to the fan side and a Hue bulb for the light part.
    Works great.
  • Got a dumb ceiling fan with lamp, and hooked up a Fibaro switch to the fan side and a Hue bulb for the light part.
    Works great.
    If you use the Fibaro double relay switch, you can still use your dumb wall switch to turn the light on or off, even when Homey is offline. In addition, you can switch the lights and fan on remotely and independently from each other. 
  • I have a ceiling fan in two bedrooms. They are triggered to turn on when someone is present (motion detector) and the temperature in the room is above 23 C (using evo home radiator controls for temperature). 
  • JaapPelt said:
    Got a dumb ceiling fan with lamp, and hooked up a Fibaro switch to the fan side and a Hue bulb for the light part.
    Works great.
    If you use the Fibaro double relay switch, you can still use your dumb wall switch to turn the light on or off, even when Homey is offline. In addition, you can switch the lights and fan on remotely and independently from each other. 
    True, had a single lying around and with the hue i can chage colours and use it as a wake up light 
  • @SuperPapa
    So your fans are 'on' by default but you cut power at the switch to make 'em spin or stop?
  • Yoda99be said:
    @SuperPapa
    So your fans are 'on' by default but you cut power at the switch to make 'em spin or stop?
    yes, thats right. 
  • Alternative option might be to use a Z-wave to infrared extender from Remotec which is able to control AC's as well as a ceiling fan as thermostat; will add support for them in the Remotec app...
  • anchal421anchal421 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi all

its probably the heat talking right now but i'm looking into ceiling fans and wondered if anyone has one hooked up to homey? At the moment i have no fan at all, just a ceiling light with a regular dumb switch on the wall.

Any suggestions?

I wont lie, but I have thought about the same thing every summer. It would be such a relief if it was possible. I have looked through quite a few places and tried searching it on the internet too. Sadly, I don t think I have any information that may be useful. If you find a way please share it with me.People in Tropical countries would all be very thanful to you :D Cheers!!!

• danonedanone Member
    edited February 2018
    @anchal421 I have been looking for few months for a solution using a DC fan. Very quite fans and less power consumption than an AC version. plus it can be controlled proportionally from 0 to max speed unlike an AC fan which usually has only few predefined speeds.
    But I had no luck and found no way of controlling a DC fans with devices that can talk with Homey.

Hence, I went for an AC fan which I thought I could control it with an Aeotec dimmer (as per their manual...) I failed, see this post here: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/4139/best-device-to-control-an-ac-ceiling-fan#latest
    Finally, the same fan I've managed to control it by using two Fibaro Relays (one single and the other dual) and several flows.
    Since then, my fan worked super nice and it talks with Homey.
    Hope this helps!

P.S. I live in Australia so I know what heat means as I am writing this....
  • The SmartThings crowd have figure out a solution using a Hampton Bay Wink/Zigbee universal fan/light controller which they're ordering directly from the manufacturer as a replacement/repair part. I don't know how many models are available to cater to different electrical standards, but here's the main thread for reference:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/hampton-bay-zigbee-fan-controller/47463/1