This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

App store, option for downgrading to previous version

RuudvBRuudvB Member
Sometimes an automatic update of an app makes things worse, like today the new version of better logic keeps crashing. Although the developer fixed it very quickly, it takes some time to be available in the app store. Some apps are very widely en intensively used which can make a crashing version a real headache. A simple downgrade option would take pressure off the developer and the users :)

In addition to the new BETA version which we can install, why not make a downgrade button to the previous (good working) version? You would just have to check off the auto-update switch and do the downgrade. After that you can relax and monitor the forum until the issue has been fixed and upgrade again.

Comments

• swtttswttt Member
    Offical feature requests should be on github :)
    But i mentioned the same thing yesterday on Slack, a good start should be forcing github releases (so users can download the source code per release and install it trough the CLI)
  • +1 for me as well 
    (had the exact idea this morning due to better logic crashing, performed a CLI install from github and issue sorted but still) 

• swtttswttt Member
    Would be nice if someone could create an feature request on github ;)
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited June 2017
    Well if the beta version is used problems like this morning with BL or with the KaKu app could be (mostly) avoided to test it with the beta version before submit it to stable.  For now you have to manually select an older version on github and install it by CLI. But just like @swttt feature requests needs to be made at Github, forum is only for (community) discussion but no official backlog
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    I'm not on github or slack, just hoping someone picks it up and puts it there were Athom looks :)
    Well if the beta version is used problems like this morning with BL or with the KaKu app could be (mostly) avoided to test it with the beta version before submit it to stable.  
    The above is correct, but then it is still up to the developer to judge if all is stable enough. I'm certain the developer this morning was convinced his work was fine, still it turned out to have a glitch. 
    Glitches happen and there can be other reasons like combinations of apps that interfere somehow, so it is always nice for the individual to downgrade to a previous version.

I'm a believer when it comes to automating things, but have a lot of experience where exceptions make life so much easier.... So in my opinion backups and downgrades are always good to have around.