This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Controlling Under floor heating (water) with Homey. How do i accomplish this?

myllesmylles Member
edited June 2017 in Questions & Help
Hello,

Last year i renovated 2 rooms in my house with new flooring and tiles. At the same time i installed under floor water heating that I am now trying to figure out how to control with my homey. 

I have read this great article on Vesternet but im still not sure what to do:

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/scenarios/heating/under-floor-heating-water

I have the following component for my solution, but maybe thats not enough or maybe Homey is not ready for this yet?

Homey
2 x Fibaro motion sensor ( for temperature measuring in the 2 rooms)
Fibaro switch 2 double (to control the actuators)
2 x actuators to control the 2 zones (rooms)

I was hoping for a solution where i use the Fibaro motion sensors to meassure the temperature in the room. Reports those temperatures to Homey which then is able to control the actuators via the Fibaro switch. 

Is the missing link here a not yet developed "heating" app for my specific scenario?

What are my options?

Regards
Jacob

Comments

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited June 2017
    Your idea is good normally you could use Nest or any other thermostat thas has an app in the app store to perform an action from the measures you take and flows you make with them. If your Thermostat/heating option is not (yet) supported by an app to control your CV/floor heating and let it heat your rooms that missling links needs to get an app if the device supports any protocol like bluetooth/wifi/zwave etc or has an open API as most thermostats work.
  • Gonna do this for my new house as well.

Use better variables to create two variables that will be the preferred temperature per zone. Now you need one flow per zone:

Every x minutes | If temperature sensor < preferred temperature | Then open actuator (turn switch on/off) | Else close actuator

I would start with x minutes being 15 and adjust if based on insights you see the room temperature fluctuating too much or very little. If the room temperature is pretty constant you could increase the time, if it fluctuates to much then decrease the time. Also make sure your temperature sensors are set up to report more often then your flow's time interval.

Little caveat, if your heating system (ketel) doesn't turn on then the room won't warm up so the actuator will keep on the open setting until the heating system has activated. This means your room temperature might drop a bit below your target. If your target is quite high while your heating system doesn't turn on all the time you might not be able to actually hit your target temperature at all. This could be improved if you have some control over your central heating system.

For now you can use the desktop app's settings screen to change the preferred room temperature but a Virtual Thermostat device in the Virtual Devices app could be added in the future so you would have an actual card to set the temperature with.
  • myllesmylles Member
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your reply!

My central heating system is actually hot water provided by a city run "powerplant" so i dont have my own broiler/ketel. The hot water i readily available at all times. 

Regards
    Jacob