This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Not A Morning Person

Hey guys,

So I have a KAKU device that controls the on/off of a lamp, with a Smartwares door sensor combined to make a flow so that when the door opens -> light turns on; when the door closes -> light turns off. 

Throughout out the day, this is almost instant. Open door, light turns on immediately. 

However, the first time doing so every morning, it takes Homey around 4-8 seconds before it switches the light on. 
After this, it works as normal. 

Does Homey put the radios to sleep or something when it's not used?

Comments

• swtttswttt Member
    Homey just needs his time to get awake :wink:

/joke-off
    Never heard of homey putting his radios to sleep, but it might be the sensor being asleep as well instead of homey.
    Maybe @GeurtDijker can comment on this :smile: 

• TangaiTangai Member
    To be more certain about apps working throughout the day, I build in a nightly reboot. You can use the "Candy" app for this. Maby this helps you.
  • swtttswttt Member
    I don't use any 433 mhz devices myself, just because they "feel" unreliable. So not sure if @Tangai his comment is about 433 apps specific, but i never need to reboot. The only downtime homey has is on updates, and i do consider myself as a more than regular user :smile:
  • The radio's of Homey don't sleep, but Homey.....
    How many apps did you install and how much memory is used on your Homey?
    On a busy Homey I  can imagine you experience a delay only in the morning.
    I guess the delay comes from a busy Homey doing other things at night, that has to reload the memory parts it didn't use recently. Homey is limited in memory, and swaps the least used parts to "disk" or actually the flash storage file system. 
    Once regular used during the day Homey doesn't swap that part and that keeps it fast.

I guess on the same configuration replacing the 433 apps with reliable zwave sockets doesn't change mucht as it is probably memory related. 
    I think you can verify by disabling a couple of apps that you could mix some days, that should show Homey being fast and alert in the morning.

And yes, 433 isn't reliable in the way that the sender doesn't know if the receiver received the signal. There could be disturbance like babyfones etc. But it is cheaper and if it works for you, enjoy¡
  • Hmm, I've swapped the KAKU for a Fibaro Z-Wave, will see if that makes any difference.

I don't think I have an overload of apps though...  I don't know what all Homey is doing at night though, probably making plans to take over the house :-D

• With more than 800 MB swap 1.6 times the internal memory your Homey is kind of overloaded. With system and swap  that high there is something wrong like a memory leak in an app or the firmware. What version are you running? As a workaround you could restart Homey daily like @Tangai suggested with the Candy app. 
    Should not be necessary normaly but with the memory leak problem you have it would maybe fix the delays in the morning.
  • VeldkornetVeldkornet Member
    edited May 2017
    My Homey is on v1.2.2. 

I can can also say that when Homey talks, he stutters sometimes, suppose that's related to this. 

Doesnt nightly reboots affect the device device location presence though? 
    Ie, when I wake up every morning, I'm "not at home". 

This is directly after a reboot. 

• Well, I'm not sure yet if it's from the nightly reboots; or from swapping the switch and sensor for Z-Wave products, but it's now faster than ever before!

Only problem with the nightly reboots is (as I expected) I'm "no longer home" in the morning, which means not all flows are correctly triggered. 
  • wimpywimpy Member
    My experience is also that homey is very slow in the zwave network, it sometimes takes 8 seconds before any switching takes place. I hope this gets resolved in the 1.3 software.
  • JPeJPe Member
    wimpy said:
    My experience is also that homey is very slow in the zwave network, it sometimes takes 8 seconds before any switching takes place. I hope this gets resolved in the 1.3 software.
    indeed z-wave is much better in 1.3
  • jorden said:
    Homey is stuttering with speech and is turning on lights delayed and everything. I'll try a reboot to see if that fixes it.

@jorden pulled your comment from another thread, sounds like we have the same problem. Let me know if you figure out what it is. Currently I reboot Homey every morning, but even that doesn't really solve it...
  • swtttswttt Member
    Sounds like a memory leak or you are running ALLOT of apps.
    Hard to identify what is causing it, you might be better off sending support an email.
  • jordenjorden Member
    jorden said:
    Homey is stuttering with speech and is turning on lights delayed and everything. I'll try a reboot to see if that fixes it.

@jorden pulled your comment from another thread, sounds like we have the same problem. Let me know if you figure out what it is. Currently I reboot Homey every morning, but even that doesn't really solve it...
    I did not have this again after I pulled the plug on Homey and rebooted it that way.
  • Is there a way to restart Homey automatic on a daily basis ? Mine is "hanging" at least 2 times a week, and nothing goes, even deleted a lot of apps allready to keep it to a bare minimum ... but that didn't help either .... 
    The problem now is, every time I restart it, I allways get a RROD ... but generally aftger 3 resets it will work again ...
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited June 2017
    Is there a way to restart Homey automatic on a daily basis ? Mine is "hanging" at least 2 times a week, and nothing goes, even deleted a lot of apps allready to keep it to a bare minimum ... but that didn't help either .... 
    The problem now is, every time I restart it, I allways get a RROD ... but generally aftger 3 resets it will work again ...
    Take a look at the Candy app in the app store