This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Insights Reports - looking for your feedback!

RobertRobert Member
edited June 2017 in Ideas & Suggestions
I am exploring the option of adding a new feature to Homey, called Homey Reports. The purpose of this new feature is to give you, the user, a better understanding of what is going on in your home. We want to achieve this by cleverly aggregating Insights data over a certain timeframe, so you can learn interesting facts about your home. Here are some examples of what information might be in a Report:
- how much power did I use last month and did I save energy compared to the previous month?
- what device do I use the most?
- how much music did I listen?
- what was the monthly cost of devices that are on standby?

So, what information you would like to see in a Report? Please share what facts or graphs would make Reports a valuable addition to Homey for you!

Comments

• swtttswttt Member
    Is it possible to get this info mailed on a weekly based for example? (Something i have been thinking about a long time ago) And enable disable certain parts? Something like most used device isn't important to me, and would like to be able to turn this off.

- Show battery devices that are getting low (z-wave in general)
    - Most listened songs
    - How much power did the solar panels generate
    - How much gas (in adition to power) and maybe even linked with weather (eg. You used 20% more gas this month, but it was 30% colder then previous month as well)

• graphs gives litterally much more insights as numbers
  • I want a to import a map of my house and place devices according to there position on the map.
    So I can graphicaly see where there is motion, if a door is open, wich lights are on and wich tv is on.
  • technimantechniman Member
    edited June 2017
    (Coming from Domoticz) 
    The thing i'm missing is being able to calculate with the numbers :  
    - Currently I have the "total powerdraw" (in watt from my Youless), Sum of the "smartplugs" together with the youless gives me the total "unaccounted powerdraw".
    Having this option would be great, the thing i'm missing is being able to see which smartplug used what amount and when. 
    e.g. a stacked-barchart where you can see per time unit (5 min/ 20 min/ 60 min) the total powerdraw and breakdown per device

Does that help to illustrate ?

-=edit=-
    Typeo's :-/ 

• PhuturistPhuturist Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm not gonna answer the question, sorry for that. But I just needed to respond here after reading this topic. Is this truly highly prioritized on the backlog of Athom? I personally dont care about Insights or reports. But even without my personal opinion. Athom should first finish and optimize features that it already started with before developing new stuff. For instance, proper support for bluetooth, a music manager that is actually usefull for people who do not own Sonos, etc..

Stop starting, start finishing!
  • I would like to see raw data sometimes, just a list. And having it work in Mobile.

Coming from homewizard, i could easily look-up when the a sensor detected something. Easy to see if the cleaner visited the house etc. I don't need a graph etc.

Also very handy when you are building flows for washing machines etc. Currently the graphs not helping me so i need a IFTT to Excel in order to get a proper overview.
  • RobertRobert Member
    @swttt ;and @techniman, great ideas, thanks for your input!

@sebo_hans
    That would be very cool as well! That would display realtime information, while Reports focusses on aggregated historical data, so it would not fit this project very well unfortunately.

@Phuturist
    This is not a highly prioritised item on the backlog of Athom, this is a passion project of mine. I enjoy data science and using data to better understand things; in this case our homes. If this idea becomes a reality it is going to developed by me in addition to my everyday activities. 
  • Robert said:

@Phuturist
    This is not a highly prioritised item on the backlog of Athom, this is a passion project of mine. I enjoy data science and using data to better understand things; in this case our homes. If this idea becomes a reality it is going to developed by me in addition to my everyday activities. 
    In that case ... :+1:

Being able to calculate with raw data would be interesting.
  • anneanne Member
    edited June 2017
    I love Homey Insights, it's one of my favourite features :+1: It's great to be able to make changes in flows and logic based on the Insight measurements.

Aggregating data in reports could be useful for dashboards, but perhaps also in flows ('if average ...' do stuff). 

The graphtypes and the way they are displayed could be improved, they come across a bit clunky at the moment. The ability to stack graphs and perform arithmetic with Insight data could be useful (it might save some BL variables).

One calculation that would be nice to have is for on/off variables the sum of the x-axis (time) for the duration of the on or off state. For instance, if you have a 'TV on' variable, it would be interesting to know the aggregate time the TV was on :+1:

@quakerix you can export data directly from Homey Insights? Update: with this app you can:  https://apps.athom.com/app/com.gruijter.insights2csv.

@Robert the bug with the line (see 'aargh' below) will be fixed in 1.3 right? 

I love this graph btw, it's my nett electricity use :-)

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    I think being able to get some basis calculations would be great.
    Between time x1 and time x2 : average (y), max (y), min (y), std-dev (y), slope (y), count (y), sum (y) etc etc.

The calculated values could be stored in variables. The times x1 and x2 could be set to a dateframe/timeframe from the current date or between any two designated dates/times.
  • anne said:
    I love Homey Insights, it's one of my favourite features :+1: It's great to be able to make changes in flows and logic based on the Insight measurements.

Aggregating data in reports could be useful for dashboards, but perhaps also in flows ('if average ...' do stuff). 

The graphtypes and the way they are displayed could be improved, they come across a bit clunky at the moment. The ability to stack graphs and perform arithmetic with Insight data could be useful (it might save some BL variables).

One calculation that would be nice to have is for on/off variables the sum of the x-axis (time) for the duration of the on or off state. For instance, if you have a 'TV on' variable, it would be interesting to know the aggregate time the TV was on :+1:

@quakerix you can export data directly from Homey Insights? Update: with this app you can:  https://apps.athom.com/app/com.gruijter.insights2csv.

@Robert the bug with the line (see 'aargh' below) will be fixed in 1.3 right? 

I love this graph btw, it's my nett electricity use :-)

Yeah i know that app, but exporting the data is not the feature request.

I would like to see a log of the sensor in the Mobile App in CSV view(columns/rows). In the Homewizard you can click on a sensor and instantly see the entries. Which is very handy. Its at the moment the only feature I still use from the Homewizard.

Also having insights on Mobile is I think important. The marketing value is enormous. When I show Homey to friends the mobile app just has nothing special. Showing Insights to everyone helps in spreading the word.
  • I have a lot of devices, so also the Insights list is long - It would be nice if you want to build new reports to have a search capability that quickly enables you to select the right device and item being logged (like currently in devices).

Charts would also be nice. 

Energy related,
    current "slimme meter" or Enelogic/Youless/Solar panels draw or production = 100% Energy
    Devices with Energy monitoring could be indicated as x% of total current draw in an Insight report.
    Current draw = 100% minus Sum of all devices known to Homey, leaves unknown energy draw.
    This would give a good view if you are measuring your biggest energy consuming devices in your home. 

• I love insights! Please add the following:

-Possibility to have 2 y axis when two items are show with different range scales
    -Customize x and y axis with data labels like Watt or Degrees Celcius
    -Export data to csv (scheduled)
    -Log insights only for selected items instead of the current default setting to log insights for all items, this would save some storage
    -Insights in mobile app, the app is now very basic compared to my Homewizard app
    -Fix weired graphs as mentioned previously

• swtttswttt Member
    @OetAelse
    This about insights reports, something different then insights itself ;)
  • @swttt, your absolutely right ;-)

• Slowly moving my stuff to homey and I notice I'm missing some insights
    - Daily poweruse (Kwh) 
    - Daily/weekly/monthly/yearly KWH use optionally multiplied by the KWH costs per KWH
  • @techniman, I use iungo for power, solar, gas and water usage. There is a app to pull some data in Homey.
  • WillemWillem Member
    I would like to see financial reports of my smart home devices. What will it cost to run a HUE light bulb for a sertain amount of time? To figur out how long a light is working, with a sertain power consumption, and against sertain cost, is not easy to calculate. Kwh costs also depends on the different electricity companies, so, a average consumer like myself has almost no real insight about power consumption of the house. I know, there are some smart power plug's, we can use to measure the used power of a fridge, microwave, or washing machine, but I don't think, I can measure my lights or my heating furnace with those devices.
  • swtttswttt Member
    @Willem
    Might be a bit off-topic here, but i use a YouLess (got an analog meter) to measure all the power used in the house. Makes it easier to see how much you consumed, and easier to calculate.
  • WillemWillem Member
    swttt said:
    @Willem
    Might be a bit off-topic here, but i use a YouLess (got an analog meter) to measure all the power used in the house. Makes it easier to see how much you consumed, and easier to calculate.
    Thanks for the tip, but that's just the point. I also have a Plugwise P1 connected to my fusebox to watch my overall power consumption, but that gives me no specific data of the power consumption of all my 40+ smart devices that I have connected.
  • swtttswttt Member
    edited July 2017
    Aaah oke, misunderstood you then :smile: Thought you where looking for a way to measure everything...
    Their might be a problem with that request...as an example using any dimmer or switch that is connected to some lights can be using different amounts of power. for example a light with 5xGU10 spots... it matters if you use 5x LED or 5x 50 watt halogen.
  • I would like to have an option to easily search, if you have a lot of devices it is not easy to find the device you are looking for.
    I would like to filter / sort on device type (capability)
    I would like to have the option to have the Insights information to be send to a cloud database/SQL server so you can easily create your own reports/dashboards (with tools like Qlik Sense, Microsoft PowerBI or Tableau)
    Possibility to not start on Y axis with 0 but the lowest value so basically you can get a better overview if values like temperature are between 17-22 degrees as now it shows from 0 degrees
  • swtttswttt Member
    @d_janssen
    This is about "Insights Reports" not about insights itself ;)
  • @Robert what Insights really needs is an RRD option to aggregate data over longer time periods without running out of storage. Using RRD can save a tonne of storage space, and the nice thing is that the round-robin database remains a fixed size.

For instance I am tracking the overall power usage of my home. While I like to be able to see the usage over the past years, there's no need at all to have minute-by-minute data for such a long period, daily/weekly/monthly/yearly averages would be much more convenient.

I think this could really help make better use of the limited storage space on Homey, and it is a much more elegant option than simply deleting data after a certain time period. There are node RRD libraries available as well.

• Enhancement request: On insights, I can check the various temperatures e.g., but it doesn´t show me which devices this temperature comes from. I need to scroll to the corresponding colour which is very annoying, if you have multiple devices in the list. I would also like to be able to sort the devices shown on the left, so I can group them how it makes sense.

• k1sk1s Member
    Robert said:
    I am exploring the option of adding a new feature to Homey, called Homey Reports. ...
    I think this is an excellent idea  ('Insights' isn't really insightful to me as it stands...)

I'd like to see in a reports section, for each room:

1. Total:
    - power consumed
    - equivalent cost (based either upon £/Eur per unit, or better yet from a drop-down with your current utility provider and tarriff)
    - length of time that lights were on
    - length of time that heating was on

And 

2. Average
    a) per day / week/ month / year
    b) on a given day / time of day
    - power consumed
    - equivalent cost 
    - length of time that lights were on
    - length of time that heating was on

plus
    - average set temperature
    - average measured temperature

And then to be able to drill-down in each room to the same information at the device level, with the ability to sort from highest to lowest by consumption.
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited May 2018
    i thought @Robert left Athom so i don't think he will respond anymore to this topic, maybe @Bram can give more information or post who now is working on this 
  • d_janssen said:
    I would like to have the option to have the Insights information to be send to a cloud database/SQL server so you can easily create your own reports/dashboards (with tools like Qlik Sense, Microsoft PowerBI or Tableau)....
    +1
    I also want the possibility to use PowerBI and like to query the data or export it to SQL. 
  • k1sk1s Member
    edited May 2018
    While exporting SQL/PowerBI may help those with advanced skills to fiddle with their data, I think homey badly needs some useful UI features 'out of the box' that doesn't rely on DIY nerd skills to build your own useful information. Already 'insights' doesn't provide any insight without some hard work. If I read the sentiment of Robert's post correctly he was aiming for something a little more finished for the mainstream user
  • k1s said:
    While exporting SQL/PowerBI may help those with advanced skills to fiddle with their data, I think homey badly needs some useful UI features 'out of the box' that doesn't rely on DIY nerd skills to build your own useful information. Already 'insights' doesn't provide any insight without some hard work. If I read the sentiment of Robert's post correctly he was aiming for something a little more finished for the mainstream user

Maybe you can get a headstart with the app prometheus, that gives a nice collected export (page) which can be used in grafana or your own BI  tooling -> https://forum.athom.com/discussion/4630/app-prometheus-io-export