This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Apple HomeKit compliant

2»

Comments

• That seems like a good way to improve user experience...

• I currently use https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge on my RPI2 with domoticz.
    I currently use it for my lights and my media. i can now do things like:

Playstation on: turns on the TV, turns on the AVreceiver, change input on TV, change input on receiver, change volume on TV to 0 and change volume on receiver to 15.

Tv on: Turns on the TV, set volume to 5, and shuts down all other media.

Set the living room lights to 50%: the lights in the living room will all be set to 50% brightness.

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge is a nodeJS server so it might be possible to port as a homey app and make all your homey connected devices work with homekit and your homekit devices work with homey. I personally would love this feature.

Siri is availeble as soon as you turn your wrist(apple watch) or when you press the home button (ios/apple watch).
    you do not have to login your phone, open the app and possibly push a button as you would need to do on an app.
    and there currently is no iphone app :-(
  • DD Member
    hnijveen said:
    Might be interesting for Atom: http://www.iculture.nl/stappenplan-homekit-siri-raspberry-pi-homebridge/ (sorry in dutch)
    Athom most probably won't be adding this to Homey due to legal reasons.
    I think a community app might work though.
  • a simple conversion will not work because Siri is not exporting text string outside...frankly i wouldnt know how homey can be homekit compliant without Siri's api
  • The homebridge is a node.js service so it could be possible to build a driver where you will be able to add "virtual homekit devices". these virtual homekit devices could then trigger a flow.

I imaging you could be able to add a device like  a switch, dimmer switch, thermostat etc. and based on these properties you would be able to use this in a flow.
  • nklerk said:
    The homebridge is a node.js service so it could be possible to build a driver where you will be able to add "virtual homekit devices". these virtual homekit devices could then trigger a flow.

I imaging you could be able to add a device like  a switch, dimmer switch, thermostat etc. and based on these properties you would be able to use this in a flow.

It is possible to trigger a flow like a switch yes. But dont overestimate the homekit because homekit itself is also structered in such a way that you can only use what is given to you.
  • I know, but i am still able to power on all my AV equipment with Siri, by saying I want to watch a blu-Ray. 

I I currently use domoticz with homebridge 
  • SommoSommo Member
    regarding that, cause @athom moved to third party voice assistant, is there any chance to see Siri working with Homey?
  • SommoSommo Member
    Any news? Is there any dev that could Work on it and ofcourse be payed for that?
  • SommoSommo Member
    am i the only one could like an @Athom reply about that? is there any chance to get homey homekit compatible?
  • hieutthieutt Member
    Sommo said:
    am i the only one could like an @Athom reply about that? is there any chance to get homey homekit compatible?
    I am interesting it. Follow your story @Sommo.
  • jordenjorden Member
    edited May 2017
    Getting a product Homekit compliant requires a hardware chip to be placed inside the product. I don't think Homey has it.

With Homebridge running on a Raspberry Pi (or any other piece of equipment) you can emulate the hardware chip. This isn't possible with Homey (yet).
  • SommoSommo Member
    Ok i have an homebridge running.. but there is no homebridge plugin..
  • jordenjorden Member
    For a lot of hardware there are homebridge plugins. For example, I have Nuki, Sonos, Nest installed.
  • SommoSommo Member
    Sorry i wrote wrong.. there is no homey homebridge plugin
  • jorden said:
    For a lot of hardware there are homebridge plugins. For example, I have Nuki, Sonos, Nest installed.
    Sorry to go a little off topic @jorden, but you have Nuki working with Homekit?
  • I am using openhab2 for HomeKit and Alexa with homey. It's very easy and if you make a virtual device in openhab2 you will get alexa und HomeKit Support for it. That's very cool because I can use the same german commands for both. And in my environment I use commands for the same room. For example:
    if i go in the kitchen or bath homey detects motion and starts Sonos and switches all the lights in the room on. Then I can say switch kitchenlight off and all devices goes off. Alexa is stupid so I have a device for all thermostats in each room with the room name. That means I can say Alexa or Siri change the temperature to 23 degrees. It's easier for us because I don't have to make groups in Alexa and in home( Siri) and we don't have problems with names. I have many lights for example 5 different in the living room and I don't wanna know each exactly Name per device. But in some rooms I use more than one name. Some Examples:

openhab2 items for Alexa/HomeKit:
    -saugen an/aus vaccum cleaner on of
    -party an/aus on off(harmony Sonos)
    -duschen an/aus shower on off ( flow in homey to set the time higher)
    -kochen an aus cooking (equal to shower)
    -Fernsehen an/aus watching tv on off(harmony skill and homey z-wave device for av Receiver power)
    -- alles an aus all on off (switches all sockets, lights, multimedia devices and Sonos) 
    -alarm an aus on of 
    -küchenlicht an/aus kitchenlight (all lights and Sonos)
    -Badezimmerlicht an/aus bathroomlights on off (same like kitchen but the devices in the bathroom)
    -same for floor, bedroom and living room
    -bath, livingroom, bedroom, kitchen and floor and office temperature 
    -series (Netflix harmony skill with z-wave av Receiver socket). 

And the names for the hue lights for living room and bad room. 

• jordenjorden Member
    tommyjay said:
    jorden said:
    Yeah it is working, although my Nuki has been struggling a bit since I connected it to homebridge. Sometimes it autounlocks and then completely locks or it does not "release" the lock. I am suspecting homebridge to be the source of these problems.
    But yeah, it works so I can now ask Siri to lock or unlock, or ask what the status is.
  • SommoSommo Member
    jorden said:
    tommyjay said:
    jorden said:
    Yeah it is working, although my Nuki has been struggling a bit since I connected it to homebridge. Sometimes it autounlocks and then completely locks or it does not "release" the lock. I am suspecting homebridge to be the source of these problems.
    But yeah, it works so I can now ask Siri to lock or unlock, or ask what the status is.
    I will buy nuki too but these problems let me doubt about it... let me know if u resolve it
  • jordenjorden Member
    Sommo said:
    jorden said:
    tommyjay said:
    jorden said:
    I will buy nuki too but these problems let me doubt about it... let me know if u resolve it
    No problems this weekend, could have been a problem that was created when I had to switch batteries. I really love my Nuki.
  • SommoSommo Member
    Once solded homey with that monete i will buy nuki
  • SommoSommo Member
    i saw that nuki will add homekit integration in the future... first step was did, i solded homey.. not so much time to follow that project... next step, waiting for nuki homekit
  • blusserblusser Member
    edited June 2017
    Apple opens up HomeKit development with software authentication & looser licensing
    https://goo.gl/tXsiUY

New possibilities ?

homekit doesn't require a chip anymore....
  • bierrebierre Member
    I say, start adding HomeKit to homey!
  • swtttswttt Member
    Agree, but if Athom will add it as a core function they will need to enroll in the MFI program. Indeed no more chip needed for homekit but they still need to pay apple a percentage of their sales.

On one side, they could be the first bridge to support HomeKit if they move fast. Would be awesome tho...

• jordenjorden Member
    Would really be awesome for the users but I'm not completely sure if it is a good step for Athom.
  • ZperXZperX Member
    Would be nice but rather pay for a proper speech to text service.
  • If it's an app developed by an external developer, does athom still have to
    paynfor MFI?
  • swtttswttt Member
    Don't think so, actually any developer can get it to work now as a hobby project. When commercial you will need a license.

Speech to text is something i gave up on already. Their best way of getting that to work is using other smart assistants. Using google or amazon their speech services is just too expensive.