This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

What is the best option to control my outdoor light

Hello all. 

I'm going to connect an outdoor light directly to the blue (neutral) and brown (single-phase) wire. I will not be using an existing switch but will be using my phone, voice or a battery powered switch/button to control the light. The ligth will be protected from rain but it's outdoor so it could sometimes freeze in the winter (live in the south of the Netherlands).

What options are the best options?

I thought I could use one of the following options:
- Fibaro switch 2 between the electric wires and the light (Don't know if it's possible to use the switch without the use of an existing mechanical switch. But will have the possibility of adding an extra device in the future)

- Philips Hue. Connect electric wires directly to the light and use a philips hue bulb (does anybody use the hue bulbs outside protected from rain?)

Thanks for all the help

Comments

• anneanne Member
    edited June 2017
    Or a TP-Link LB-series bulb (wifi). The LB100 (dimmable) is ~25 euro, LB110 (dimmable, 800 lumen) is ~29 euro. 

I have included a feature in the app (TP-Link Smart Devices) that allows a slow turn on/off, the bulb will then gradually increase/decrease the lightintensity over the specified number of seconds. It seems to work for an interval of up to 1 hour (tested with the LB130 color version). 

And yes, I am shamelessly plugging my own app ;-p
  • why not just built in a qubino or fibaro dimmer behind your switch. This way the switch stays functional AND from app is possible.
  • JesperJesper Member
    Priknr1 said:
    why not just built in a qubino or fibaro dimmer behind your switch. This way the switch stays functional AND from app is possible.
    I do not have a switch connected to the lamp (it's not possible for that light). I will probably connect a switch using Homey later so for now I'm looking for an option to control with my phone.

anne said:
    Or a TP-Link LB-series bulb (wifi). The LB100 (dimmable) is ~25 euro, LB110 (dimmable, 800 lumen) is ~29 euro. 

I have included a feature in the app (TP-Link Smart Devices) that allows a slow turn on/off, the bulb will then gradually increase/decrease the lightintensity over the specified number of seconds. It seems to work for an interval of up to 1 hour (tested with the LB130 color version). 

And yes, I am shamelessly plugging my own app ;-p
    Did not heard about TP-Link before. Are the light controlled via wifi without the use of a bridge? And is it two way communciation?
  • anneanne Member
    Yes and yes. You need to include the light in your wifi network using the TP-Link Kasa app. You can then use Homey as well as the Kasa app to control the light. 

A mains powered zwave dimmer/switch has the advantage that it will add a node in the zwave mesh (should you have other zwave devices, or have plans for them), improving the effective range of zwave devices. You can use any switch that works with Homey to control the TP-Link light. 
  • Deef_KDeef_K Member
    The switch 2 is a 3 wire solution. You shoud buy a dimmer instead.
  • He has a neutral wire so a switch is an option as well ;).