This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

How to identify type of load connected to dimmers

I have several Fibaro dimmer2 and Qubino dimmers. On some of my Qubino dimmers I could during installation identify what kind of load that is connected to the dimmer (Eg. fan or light, identified by a small fan or light symbol beside the dimmer icon)

I have noted that if I ask homey to turn on/off all lights in a room, Homey only operates those dimmers that is identified as light. If I ask homey to turn on a specific light that is not identified as a light, it responds with: turning socket on.

How can I change what kind of load is connected to my dimmers?

Comments

• bvdbosbvdbos Member
    You can't change that, it's a long standing request... You have to delete the device and pair it again...
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited May 2017
    No the dimmer 2 has the light class as default,
    that is with the reason that it is not recommended by Fibaro to use the dimmer 2 for anything else then lighting,
    that is because of the way they work.
    The dimmer 2 can even break your device you attach to it, if it is not a light, or in return, break the dimmer 2 itself, as the maximum load it can dim is (only) 300 watts.
    But also, 99% of the users would only use it for lighting, no need for a selection option.

I think qubino does the same for their dimmers, but the developer of that app/driver for that device has chosen for the more risque way to let the user select it.
    Or didn't know about the light vs socket class, which has multiple options.

If you like to switch something else then lighting with the dimmer 2's i would recommend you to buy other devices that are ment to switch off other loads like the relay switches, or the normal switches.
    You can say to the other devices that there is a light attached, and then also respond to the build in command for lighting.
    But you indeed need to re-pair that device if you choose it not to be a light.
  • MbenzNoMbenzNo Member
    I now see that it is only my Qubino dimmers that have these options. One of my Qubino dimmers in my living room is not identified as a light dimmer. I guess I have to re-install it again to identify the load as a light.

I am actually using a Qubino 0-10V dimmer to control a frequency regulator that is regulating my bathroom fan.  For this purpose it is good that it is not identified as a light.
  • Priknr1Priknr1 Member
    If A device is defined with the class "Plugin" you get an option to select what is connected.
    @bvdbos  With your reply, tou talk about these  "plugin" devices, right? That it is not possible to change the connected device on the fly?

But I guess this same problem might go with the built-in devices, Like the discussion a while ago on slack, for this guy who had a Beamer screen connected to a "windowCoverings" device. What if you have a builtin dimmer  that in the driver is an "lights" class, but in fact could be connected to a fan for example.

Shouldn't all z-wave devices get the same option as the "Plugin" class? Is this already a request at Athom @Bram

• casedacaseda Member
    edited May 2017
    @Priknr1
    like i said about the dimmer 2 (a build in module)
    it is not recommended to add anything else then a light to it, if you connect a fan to it, it will most likely kill the dimmer 2 (and yes have seen that happen)
    the dimmer 2 is just not big/strong enough to "dim" such loads
    so no, i don't want the user to have an option to choose "fan" if the user then can think, but maybe i can use it to let the fan spin slower! and then break the dimmer 2 in the mean time :smile:

• Priknr1Priknr1 Member
    Okay, bad example maybe, But same goes for an on/off built-in  switch. What if it doesnt switch a light but something else.
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited May 2017
    all normal and relay build-in switches have the "socket" class, at least for fibaro, so the user will get the option to choose between light/ventilator/heater/and a few more, including an "other" which it will make it just an "ordinary socket"