This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
bose

Bose SoundTouch

undergroundunderground Member
edited April 2018 in Devices
Hi there,

Is anyone working on a Bose SoundTouch app?
If not, I will have a go at it. But it will be a shame if multiple people are working on it.
This will be my first app (if I succeed anyway) for Homey, so it might take some time. Luckily the Bose SoundTouch API is not that difficult. The most work will be in the discovery of the devices. The commands are straight forward.

- Robert
Tagged:

Comments

• RobinVanKekemRobinVanKekem Member
    edited October 2016
    Join us at slack so we can help you out!

https://developers.athom.com/slack/
  • Thanks. I just joined.
    My first step is done (getting hello world running ;-)
    Next step is looking at other simular apps to see how discovery works. The SoundTouch supports it and I should use it (instead of IP address). Besides, I have multiple SoundTouch devices anyway.
    If I get stuck, I won't hassitate to ask for help on slack.
  • @underground ;
    How are you getting on with the soundtouch app?
  • undergroundunderground Member
    edited December 2016
    Not really.
    The problem is the way you need to develop for the Homey. I didn't anticipate that it would be that cumbersome.
    The API of the device is easy. But developing an app for Homey isn't (well, maybe not difficult, but too old fashion).
    I am a C# developper who has programmed for more than 20 jears. I started out as an embedded C developer for a machine. Write code, burn eeprom, eeprom in machine and with printf you 'debug'. Now many years later I use Visual Studio with all tooling that is a real delite to program. The efficiency of programming is great!
    Programming for the Homey brings me back to the start of my career. No breakpoint, no watch, no nothing. You have to edit a js file, command line action to push it to Homey and look for the console to see what happens. No thank you.

Once Athom has a emulator or something like that where I can program within an IDE with all the tooling, I am willing to create apps. But knowing that most of the early Homey adapters and most likely also Athom devs themselfs are linux programmers with love for the command line, I doubt they will ever make such a thing.
  • There are tools for node.js as well. I'm a C# developer myself and love Visual Studio with all the tools. But I do understand your point :)
  • There are tools for node.js as well. I'm a C# developer myself and love Visual Studio with all the tools. But I do understand your point :)
    Yes, you are right, there are tools, but not the way Homey works. Visual Studio can only be used as a fancy text editor, but not as a developers tool.
  • Ah, you mean a real strongly typed IDE or SDK. That would be awesome indeed.
  • Ah, you mean a real strongly typed IDE or SDK. That would be awesome indeed.
    No, not only that, but being able to set breakpoints, add watches, evaluate expressions, edit and continue etc.
    Right now Visual Studio cannot be used as a debugger.
  • That's a shame was hoping to integrate my Soundtouch for music, hopefully one of the Homey team will take up the challenge soon.

• Yep, I agree. The Böse Soundtouch is with the Bleutooth and WiFi capabilities a great device for streaming music from different sources. Would be great to run my Soundtouch with a Homey app in future. 
  • bvbbvb Member

Who from the developers is taking up the challenge to make an app for Bose SoundTouch. I will buy you one Sound Tough 10 for developing and testing.

I think it will be enough to Switch it on/off (If ON turn it OFF, and vice versa) and controll the Preset Buttons to Play Music. Multiroom would be cool in Flows too.

Anybody available to take this offer? A lot of stuff is available in other Forums to controll this Speakers with other Home Automation Systems, but nothing with Homey.

• anneanne Member
    Fyi, there's a nodejs API available for it as well: https://github.com/CONNCTED/SoundTouch-NodeJS

• bvb said:

I think it will be enough to Switch it on/off (If ON turn it OFF, and vice versa) and controll the Preset Buttons to Play Music. Multiroom would be cool in Flows too.

I am sorry to say, but the SoundTouch API V1.1.0 does not support this function. In this case you need to use the '/key' API nethod to simulate a key press and release. However, you can detect the state of the Bose, maybe in combination of that you can 

• anneanne Member
    edited April 2017
    @bvb I'll create an app if you can get me/lend me a soundtouch. I have made a similar app for my NAD amplifier. I'll need to look into the multi-room stuff, but adding it in cards shouldn't be a problem. 

I have been meaning to add mdns autoconfig to my NAD app as well, it would be nice to work that out based on the soundtouch api. A static config option should also be present, some broadband modems block multicast traffic between the wireless and wired network (KPN's Experia box used to do this), which breaks the autodiscovery feature. From the comments in the Apple app store it seems some people may have that problem with the Bose app. 

Anyway, let me know <span>:+1:</span>

Edit - wow, didn't realize these things are so expensive :o
  • bvbbvb Member
    Anne, I send you a pm... thanks for your help
  • castlecastle Member
    edited May 2017
    Any progress on this? Really looking forward for to use my soundtouch trough homey.

If needed, I am able to do some testing.

• WillemWillem Member
    I agree... Would be nice to have a Böse app. Until now my Harmony Hub can only start or stop my Böse Touch.
  • There is a soundtouch package for node on github.. https://github.com/CONNCTED/SoundTouch-NodeJS
  • glijieglijie Member
    edited May 2017
    @Willem besides Start and Stop (ON/OFF) you can also select one of the six presets or turn volume UP an Down with the harmony HUB App and if I look at the commando's you can do much more.

Would be nice to have an APP though
  • Is anyone living near Arnhem and has such system?
  • undergroundunderground Member
    edited May 2017
    Is anyone living near Arnhem and has such system?
    Depends what you define as 'near' ;-)
    But I am living about 20 minutes from Arnhem (near Didam/Wehl)
    I have two different SoundTouch systems
  • I consider 20km to be near. If it would be possible to come over to Arnhem we can try to make an app for it. Or maybe we can arrange that I come over to Didam/Wehl
  • I consider 20km to be near. If it would be possible to come over to Arnhem we can try to make an app for it. Or maybe we can arrange that I come over to Didam/Wehl
    You are welcome to test it here. This way you can check both SoundTouch systems.
  • anneanne Member
    :+1: I have a couple of other apps/projects I am focusing on first.
  • Any news about the Bose app? Looking forward to it!
  • ChrityChrity Member
    Is someone still working on the app?
  • I'm also very interested in an app for Soundtouch but as I do not see any progress I was wondering if it is possible to reach the same goal by using the HTTP request flow cards app to post Json to my soundtouch? I'm not a developer but in this document someone describes how to make it work with IFTT and the Maker channel. 
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ndjkk_Tq2HGxivoiDKxuYM_9jQaF0Py1iIeJjxZhJdw/edit

Any help on how to create the right json request is most welcome until one of the great developers makes a real robust app.

HTTP request flow cards

• I used this to practise on homeyapps, together with making my solarpanels talk to homey. I could control and get info from the soundtouch but did not go any further than that. I have started a renovation on the house, so time is limited for me. But it is a very easy app to write. Even I s a beginner could get something working   :)
  • Tiyrell said:
    I used this to practise on homeyapps, together with making my solarpanels talk to homey. I could control and get info from the soundtouch but did not go any further than that. I have started a renovation on the house, so time is limited for me. But it is a very easy app to write. Even I s a beginner could get something working   :)
    Ok show me ;-). I'm not a programmer so as soon as you have time I hope you can publish an app. Love to support you on your renovation in Exchange.