This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

NEO Touch Switch and replacing current switches

Hi guys,

what's your experience using the NEO Touch Switch? I know its a supported device. But I wonder if anyone has ever replaced their current switches with the NEO Touch Switch.  Two questions:

1. Are the switches properly working? 100% of the time, without 'effort'?

2. The challenge that I will have is replacing current switches. Did anyone do this and make it look good? I guess i'll need to find a new ' afdekraam' (no idea what's that in English). Has anyone tried this? 

Comments

• TedTolboomTedTolboom Member
    edited May 2017
    @quakerix I would check the Neo Z-wave topic

I don't have on myself, but did test it to finalize the app / driver update. It's a nice switch and responded instantly.
    Using it in combination with a wall socket and finding the right cover frame that fits the touch switch will be challenging.

Several users like @CliffBroeren and @Eternity ;have these switches installed at their home. They could comment on the buildin capabilities.
  • @quakerix I would check the Neo Z-wave topic

I don't have on myself, but did test it to finalize the app / driver update. It's a nice switch and responded instantly.
    Using it in combination with a wall socket and finding the right cover frame that fits the touch switch will be challenging.

Several users like @CliffBroeren and @Eternity ;have these switches installed at their home. They could comment on the buildin capabilities.
    thanks. I scanned the topic as much as I can. I don't see anyone complaining, so that's good. 

Frame is going to be challenge. I think the only option is to have a 'single' frame for the power socket and have the neo on top of it. But now idea how that is going to look like.
  • lourenslourens Member
    Neo touch switch is working fine for me, 100% of the time.
     I replaced the existing frame with the touch switch. It didnot fit in my existing frame which looks the same as you have (Busch-Jaeger)
    Touch switch is more cheap plastic, but it does the job.
  • lourens said:
    Neo touch switch is working fine for me, 100% of the time.
     I replaced the existing frame with the touch switch. It didnot fit in my existing frame which looks the same as you have (Busch-Jaeger)
    Touch switch is more cheap plastic, but it does the job.
    Got any pictures to share :) ?
  • I have to confess I still have not made time to install the Neo Touch switch. The location I had planned to install it (a single Jung frame) does not have a Null (blue) wire...so it is 'a project waiting to be completed'.
  • @Eternity, @lourens i'm very curious which frames you guys found that fit the touch switch. Please do share links and pictures. Very curious. 
  • lourenslourens Member
    I donot have it in a frame because the switch is behind a curtain in the corner of my room. It is in a corner with a B&J frame so you can compare.
    I think it will not fit in any frame because it is to big. Size is 8,5cm in a square.
    If it wasnot behind a curtain my wife wouldnot appreciate the looks of the switch  :)

• lourens said:
    I donot have it in a frame because the switch is behind a curtain in the corner of my room. It is in a corner with a B&J frame so you can compare.
    I think it will not fit in any frame because it is to big. Size is 8,5cm in a square.
    If it wasnot behind a curtain my wife wouldnot appreciate the looks of the switch  :)

Omg it looks awesome. But yeah its not going to fit.

So why I need to do is find a matching color frame for a single power socket and put the switch on top!
  • quakerix said:
    lourens said:

So why I need to do is find a matching color frame for a single power socket and put the switch on top!
    @quakerix I don't think you will find a frame that fits... but while considering it, perhaps it's possible to 3D print a frame or make one from wood (painted or transparent matte finish)...
  • quakerix said:
    lourens said:

@quakerix I don't think you will find a frame that fits... but while considering it, perhaps it's possible to 3D print a frame or make one from wood (painted or transparent matte finish)...
    I meant the power socket below the Touch Switch. I should find a frame for that one. One that matches because the switch is going to be above.
  • RuudvBRuudvB Member
    quakerix said:
    quakerix said:
    lourens said:

I meant the power socket below the Touch Switch. I should find a frame for that one. One that matches because the switch is going to be above.
    I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish. I agree with @TedTolboom best way would be some kind of 3D printed frame. Using a standard built-in power box as reference, you could create a "double frame" including the power socket and the touch switch. 

The idea might be to create a larger blind plate for the power socket 8,5 square, maybe better 9 square and then leave out the space the power socket needs. In the same frame of course spacing for the touch switch. This way you end up with a 9x18 frame or a little bigger depending on the "design".

Once finished a picture in this topic would be nice as a show off :)