This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Flows and active internet connection

Hi, 

I think it is a stupid question but here is the thing regarding wifi and flows. Currently i'm in the process of disabling all devices at night or when we are not at home just to save power. One of the steps would be to kill the power of my router and other network devices using something like KiKa or something similar. I would like to know if Homey is still able to control flows that only control devices when there is no internet connection. The only thing I can think of that won't work is ofcourse sending out notifications and speech and other internet related things. But since it is only switching of/on devices I don't see an issue here.

Comments

• lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited May 2017

Offline possibilities

Offline Homey will still be able to manage your home, as Homey is not dependent on cloud services to operate (unlike some other systems). Functionality that remains available offline includes:

• Controlling your home with the Homey Smartphone App while you're on the same WiFi network
    • Executing flows that don't need internet, for example sensor based ones
    • Voice output, allowing Homey to speak (for example in flows)
    • Logging of your local sensor data in the Insights module

Conclusion

In short, all the capabilities that do not clearly require internet work. Homey will still be able to manage your home using your flows, and you will be able to control Homey via the smartphone app while at home. A lot of extra awesomeness is gone though.

Note: some devices (including most smart thermostats) require Homey to connect to them using the internet (and do not have a local workaround). Homey might not be able to control these devices while offline.

From the support page do i need internet for Homey to work

• ah yes. support page.. I need to have that one bookmarked ;)
  • keep in mind that your router is also assigning the IP addresses, if the router is off-line this might interfere with communications (depending on your local setup)
    a router generally uses between 4 and 12 watt which is between 8 and 24 euro worth of power per YEAR
    shutting down the router for 8 hours would reduce the power costs with 33% (~2.60 for a 5W poweruse)
    IMHO not worth the hassle of not having internet..   

• techniman said:
    keep in mind that your router is also assigning the IP addresses, if the router is off-line this might interfere with communications (depending on your local setup)
    a router generally uses between 4 and 12 watt which is between 8 and 24 euro worth of power per YEAR
    shutting down the router for 8 hours would reduce the power costs with 33% (~2.60 for a 5W poweruse)
    IMHO not worth the hassle of not having internet..   

For you it's not worth the hassle ;) but for me it's a little sport to get my energy bill as low as possible and if that means that I don't have internet at times that I'm sleeping or away I don't mind <span>:wink:</span>