This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Massive change in speech recognition

2»

Comments

• peerkepeerke Member
    I have turn the micrphone of and now use my homey as IR en NFC reader only.
    Use the google home and IFTT app as translater between them.
  • Since updating to 1.2.2, the last couple of days my Homey has stopped responding to voice completely. If I use the mobile app, then voice commands work (if recognised correctly of course) but from any distance, at any volume, when I say 'OK Homey' I get nothing from Homey - LED ring stays rainbow effect and speech-input records no event. Tried reboot and PTP. Speech-input only displaying mobile voice commands.
    Anyone else experiencing this?
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited May 2017
    Yes. The OK Homey is less responsive.

0-5% hitrate here.

Was there anything about speech or IR on the Athom community event last weekend?
  • JanHJanH Member
    edited May 2017
    Strange! Voice recognition is an ongoing discussion. And that's valid in my opinion because it's one of the Homey selling points. But, there seems to be a lot of differences in the experiences of the Homey users. Just based on my own experience voice recognition in my place is still quite good and even a lot better than let's say half a year ago. Ofcourse this is far from a reliable poll! Nevertheless, at this forum one can read a lot of stories about worse experiences. I'm keen to know whether these big differences are incidents or can be seen as an average picture. Otherwise: does Athom know enough of the Homey-behaviour at this point for drawing conclusions for further developing voice recognition? Maybe Athom could/should send a short questionary via email to all users?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Really strange that OK Homey has deteriorated. But to be honest, I seemed to have the same issue this morning. Will try further tonight...
  • Very strange indeed! Just got home from work. Tested ok Homey a number of times with no response. Reboot, no response. Then PTP. This time after homey boots up I get a random 'You're welcome'. I didn't initiate any speech so curious, I checked speech-input and apparently Homey heard 'Thanks hey 3'. I certainly didn't say anything! Still no response from ok Homey I tried typing into speech-input but whatever I typed it answered with a variant of you're welcome. I tried ok Homey again and this time I got 2 responses, both random answers and not to the question I asked (what time is it?). Then after that back to no response again to ok Homey.
    What on earth is going on?
  • ZperXZperX Member
    Operational like IR?
    https://status.athom.com
  • Can somebody try "what are the headlines" and the outcome of that? 
  • Can somebody try "what are the headlines" and the outcome of that? 
    I don't even get a response to ok homey anymore!
  • same problem with homeys speech recognition, it dos not work like it should. stange that this core function is not better been handeld. Now i am using Homey without speech. the apps and flow are doing it oke. but the main en core why i bought the Homey let me down. i know Alexa dot is not the same but it is understanding my speech so good. togehter with my Hue light, thermostat and spotify wauw. still hanging on with homey but honest when a friend would ask my should i by the Homey at the moment. I will tell him it is oke if you want to work with the flows but with your voice for command it isn't still not abble to get it right.
  • WaggieWaggie Member
    Hi All
    Guess I can count myself as lucky as Homey does recognise what i am saying, however he's very confused.
    When I ask him to turn on the lounge light, he responds with "I do not know what you want me to do" and then turns the light on anyway?? followed by the programmed voice confirmation "My Pleasure".

So he understands but says he does not, all this since update 1.2.2

Anyone else had this problem?
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    Waggie said:
    Hi All
    Guess I can count myself as lucky as Homey does recognise what i am saying, however he's very confused.
    When I ask him to turn on the lounge light, he responds with "I do not know what you want me to do" and then turns the light on anyway?? followed by the programmed voice confirmation "My Pleasure".

So he understands but says he does not, all this since update 1.2.2

Anyone else had this problem?
    From Emile's March 21 Software Update post:
    Note: as of Homey v1.2.0, a much requested feature was feedback when Homey did not understand what you said. That now works, with the small drawback that it requires everyone to migrate their 'When Homey said something And the text contains' cards to the 'When something specific was said' card, if that hasn't happen yet.
  • honeyhoney Member
    What is happening? My voice recognition does not work at all for weeks now. No more complaints from users, and dead silence from Athom on this topic. Is it working now and I am being the unlucky one or everyone has given up?
  • For me it is working as it should for the last couple of weeks so I guess that it could be a local issue? Please check the usual stuff such as memory usage, network connection etc. ( yes I know, this should not be necessary ) 
  • honey said:
    What is happening? My voice recognition does not work at all for weeks now. No more complaints from users, and dead silence from Athom on this topic. Is it working now and I am being the unlucky one or everyone has given up?
    Perhaps like me, everyone has given up with Homey voice and moved on to Alexa integration?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Works great for me except the microphone died once (didn't even react to Oke Homey anymore) but a reboot fixed that...
  • glijieglijie Member
    works great over here.. but then i never had any issues.

• Now for a few weeks with Homey getting started. And I was pleased. The voice commands, a few after, all work properly. Unfortunately, the fun does not last. Is it the first heat, or something else's going on, but since Saturday Homey hardly reacts. After a few times, "OK HOMEY" then reply, but the command will be answered promptly to me "I do not understand what you mean". I always read that there will be an update soon, which will greatly improve. Only it always delayed. In comparison, my Skybell doorbell and Nuki door lock, both recent designs are upgraded and improved almost weekly. Maybe at Athom, they need to review their priorities and make sure that what's on is perfect.
  • shideban said:
    Now for a few weeks with Homey getting started. And I was pleased. The voice commands, a few after, all work properly. Unfortunately, the fun does not last. Is it the first heat, or something else's going on, but since Saturday Homey hardly reacts. After a few times, "OK HOMEY" then reply, but the command will be answered promptly to me "I do not understand what you mean". I always read that there will be an update soon, which will greatly improve. Only it always delayed. In comparison, my Skybell doorbell and Nuki door lock, both recent designs are upgraded and improved almost weekly. Maybe at Athom, they need to review their priorities and make sure that what's on is perfect.
    I understand you concerns but comparing your skybell and nuki with eachother and with homey is like comparing appels to banana's. Yes they are both technical 'smart' devices but that's where the comparison ends..
  • I do not want to make a comparison and show if there is a problem you are trying to solve. Are you honest, how long is this software version already in use? How long is version 1.3 yet talked? All respect for Homey's designers, still think it's a device with a lot of potential. But if problems and complaints persist, this leads to a lot of negative advertising. In my circle of friends, many people are interested and have already come to see it work. .There is some dependence if the device fails at 10 command line half to run. Everyone understands that it's a new technique, but the purchase price is high for a product that is not 100% sure. The people behind Athom now know where the shoe turns and comes with solutions and not always with an outbreak that is being worked on or is on schedule. They must realize that when Alexa or Google Cast appears on the Dutch / Belgian market this might be the death strike for Homey.
  • shideban said:
    I do not want to make a comparison and show if there is a problem you are trying to solve. Are you honest, how long is this software version already in use? How long is version 1.3 yet talked? All respect for Homey's designers, still think it's a device with a lot of potential. But if problems and complaints persist, this leads to a lot of negative advertising. In my circle of friends, many people are interested and have already come to see it work. .There is some dependence if the device fails at 10 command line half to run. Everyone understands that it's a new technique, but the purchase price is high for a product that is not 100% sure. The people behind Athom now know where the shoe turns and comes with solutions and not always with an outbreak that is being worked on or is on schedule. They must realize that when Alexa or Google Cast appears on the Dutch / Belgian market this might be the death strike for Homey.
    when Google or Alexa comes on the dutch market it is a run game for them anyway. Just because the name of the product. But yeah I agree on your post. 
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited May 2017
    shideban said:
    I do not want to make a comparison and show if there is a problem you are trying to solve. Are you honest, how long is this software version already in use? How long is version 1.3 yet talked? All respect for Homey's designers, still think it's a device with a lot of potential. But if problems and complaints persist, this leads to a lot of negative advertising. In my circle of friends, many people are interested and have already come to see it work. .There is some dependence if the device fails at 10 command line half to run. Everyone understands that it's a new technique, but the purchase price is high for a product that is not 100% sure. The people behind Athom now know where the shoe turns and comes with solutions and not always with an outbreak that is being worked on or is on schedule. They must realize that when Alexa or Google Cast appears on the Dutch / Belgian market this might be the death strike for Homey.
    1.2 has just been released to stable a month ago. There are already talks about 1.4 / 1.5  (they even have 1.4 almost ready) but for now some bugs, mainly z-wave related are holding 1.3 from coming to stable. They fixed some problems with 1.3 that occur in 1.2 but as always when you patch something some other bugs surface. 

Alexa/Google Assistant coming on the dutch market don't look like a death strike, it's a complete different market and can be used to use Homey better. I already have two Dots (alexa) at home and i'm waiting for the Dutch support so i can speak Dutch to my Dot and use it to control Homey from other rooms.

Amazon/Google don't (yet) have a device  that can controle z-wave/433 or other devices without internet connection or internet bridge so only speech can be compared. In that, Alexa/Google are better (offcourse) but also look at the history of speech for those companies and how they started and what kind of funding they now have for it. And it's not making a excuse because speech is one of the selling points for a lot of users (myselfnot included i just want to automate my home without speech) but they are working on it and they made a big step in the backend for speech with the launch of 1.2, now they need to continu making steps forward.

Edit:
    For the response from Homey "i didn't understand you" are multiple possibilities. One is that he really didn't understand you but you can check that at the input page or you are using speech with the wrong cards because that has changed in 1.2 as noted in the 4th slide after the update -> https://whatsnew.athom.com/#1.2
  • shideban said:
    Now for a few weeks with Homey getting started. And I was pleased. The voice commands, a few after, all work properly. Unfortunately, the fun does not last. Is it the first heat, or something else's going on, but since Saturday Homey hardly reacts. After a few times, "OK HOMEY" then reply, but the command will be answered promptly to me "I do not understand what you mean". I always read that there will be an update soon, which will greatly improve. Only it always delayed. In comparison, my Skybell doorbell and Nuki door lock, both recent designs are upgraded and improved almost weekly. Maybe at Athom, they need to review their priorities and make sure that what's on is perfect.
    To be fair, you're acting like voice is the only thing Homey should be able to do. I deliberately use Homey without voice - I hate talking to my house. My lights turn on at sunset, I have a very nice LIFX light in my bedroom that turns on slowly when I wake, my hallway lights light up automatically, my TV and receiver start with a touch on a KaKu button and a playlist on Kodi starts to play.

That's what I use my Homey for. For me, they are working exactly on what makes Homey great for me: good 433 MHz range, freedom in flows, good stability.
    For the Homey I use, I don't feel like Athom needs to review their priorities at all.
  • @KoenMartens I don't agree with your point of view. First the voice part was one of the big items when getting on board. It was all based on the video's which Athom created, the guy on the couch, talking to his home. In the case you don't like talking to your home this isn't your thread. And third, the main concern here is, that it used to work pretty good, and now it doesn't. So yes, that has something to do with priorities. 
  • fiekfiek Member
    My voice recognition is also bad for the last few weeks. hit rate lower than 50%. But I am being patient until it gets solved. I reduced the amount of voice commands the last few weeks
    edited May 2017
    @KoenMartens I don't agree with your point of view. First the voice part was one of the big items when getting on board. It was all based on the video's which Athom created, the guy on the couch, talking to his home. In the case you don't like talking to your home this isn't your thread. And third, the main concern here is, that it used to work pretty good, and now it doesn't. So yes, that has something to do with priorities. 
    just like  said above it has nothing to do with priorities. They did a rewrite of speech and now the backend does a grammatical check on what is said, this is also the main reason no other languages are added when they launched in more countries and they passed Germany/France. The system needs to understand what is said and how it's said. For this they need to learn the machine to know all those things because they see our privacy with a higher priority then keeping all our voice data.

So they are aware of the problems, are working on it but they can't go faster then they are going with the team they have. Robert who has studied A.I. is now busy with the speech part and improving every week (look at the issues at Github wich are succesfully closed :)

Yes, for you is speech a selling point but i guess for other  (heavy) users the hardware is more a selling point beside the videos that are on the KS page. Just like music, for some a selling point for some just something that is using resources that could be better used :) All the users have there own sellings point and wishes and Athom needs to find the way in the middle to please us all

Edit:
    Everybody who has a Homey is welcome in every topic to give his/her point of view, not only selected people. That is why it's called a community (forum)
  • Everyone has his own reason to buy a Homey. In addition to the automation, speech was a big reason for me. This technique is still quite young, but there are already applications where it performs better. Automation was a second reason. Certainly because it is to be combined with the different protocols. That works pretty well, after a few things. For example, the Harmony hub is one that hardly works. Create a flow where, for example, the heater is adjusted, the lights dim and the Harmony Hub gets the command Watch TV works on all points except the Harmony hub. So there are probably more. Speech actually works only for 50% and I think it's ok if you're in a hurry to ask Homey to turn on or dim a particular lamp. I do not ask miracles, but Athom's reaction. On all comments left here in the forum, hardly or unresponsive. By Athom. If you mail them personally then the only response that is being processed and an update is coming soon. I have several devices that are fairly recent and are not yet optimal. But when I report a problem, I see that a few days later, the app was updated and business improved. It would be nice to have same polici at Athom. Now you stay with the idea, maybe it will be okay. Finally, you buy something with many possibilities and you want to use it all. It's a bit of a bad thing if you have to tell people what it looks like, but it does not work, maybe ever, they are busy. You do not buy a smartphone with the idea that you will ever be able to call with it?
    edited May 2017
    shideban said:
    Everyone has his own reason to buy a Homey. In addition to the automation, speech was a big reason for me. This technique is still quite young, but there are already applications where it performs better. Automation was a second reason. Certainly because it is to be combined with the different protocols. That works pretty well, after a few things. For example, the Harmony hub is one that hardly works. Create a flow where, for example, the heater is adjusted, the lights dim and the Harmony Hub gets the command Watch TV works on all points except the Harmony hub. So there are probably more. Speech actually works only for 50% and I think it's ok if you're in a hurry to ask Homey to turn on or dim a particular lamp. I do not ask miracles, but Athom's reaction. On all comments left here in the forum, hardly or unresponsive. By Athom. If you mail them personally then the only response that is being processed and an update is coming soon. I have several devices that are fairly recent and are not yet optimal. But when I report a problem, I see that a few days later, the app was updated and business improved. It would be nice to have same polici at Athom. Now you stay with the idea, maybe it will be okay. Finally, you buy something with many possibilities and you want to use it all. It's a bit of a bad thing if you have to tell people what it looks like, but it does not work, maybe ever, they are busy. You do not buy a smartphone with the idea that you will ever be able to call with it?
    In some point you are completly right but in some you are mixing Athom and independent developers for example with  Harmony. The Harmony app is from a developer, just like a app on your smartphone and when that developer stops developing then the app wil stop working in the end. Some users still say it's working fine but there are also a lot of complains about this app  (look at the Harmony github -> https://github.com/netactivenl/com.logitech.harmony.hub ). For all Athom issues / app issues i still say to make a github issue on the Athom/App github page because Athom is not fully monitoring this forum/slack but use github to track problems. 
  • ZperXZperX Member
    Yes, have already tried that. But the raised github issues just get closed without fixing it.
    No luck with forum, slack, direct emails or github. Lying low...