This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Dead or unresponsive Homey

Hi!

Received and installed my Homey two days ago. No problem in setting it up.

After one day the animation on the LED rings stopped and Homey was offline.  I did the recovery procedure and got Homey online again. Some time later Homey again was offline and the LED animation was stopped. This time I could not get it into recovery mode.

When i Power it up With original USB cable and Power supply, I sometimes get no response, and sometimes get a steady white light. There is a clicking sound when disconnecting the Power.

If I turn it on while upside Down, I get a steady Blue/ Purple light. (sometimes)

If I Connect Homey with the original USB cable to the USB port on my Surface Pro, nothimg happens first time. Secound time it starts With yellow animation, With some brief stops, before the animation stops and the LED light is steady Yellow. Turning it Upside Down starts the animation again a couple of times, stops for some time and starts over again. This can continue «forever» and will continue if I turn it the right way.

If I connect it to the computer while Homey is upside down, nothing happens.

Please advice!

Comments

• @MbenzNo would suggest to contact Athom at support@athom.com
    @Annemarie ^^
  • Already done, but hoping for quicker response from the community ;-)

• I see you already tried different options... Let's see...

For clarification, the LED ring can be interpretated with the following info: https://www.athom.com/en/support/KB000009/

You did a recovery following: https://www.athom.com/en/support/KB000026/?

Typically if Homey is not responsive, you could do a PTP (Pull The Plug); power it down for more than 15 minutes. Reconnect it and let it boot up for more than an hour (without intervention).

Second option, it to exclude a faulty USB cable; can you try with another one?

The clicking sound is Homey's internal speaker...
  • Done some more testing...

Power down for more than 15 minutes, reconnect and let alone for more than an hour. Steady white light to one side from connecting power. No contact.

Tried another shorter thinner USB cable without ferrite beads, original power supply. Steady yellow light. Restarted with same cable and got briefly white stedy LED before changing yellow animation. Animation stops after 2-5 sec. steady yellow light to one side.

Original Cable only gives steady White light to one side.

Tried yet another USB cable, about same thickness and length as original. Brief white light before steady yellow all around without animation. Same cable connected to computer gives steady white light to one side.

After having tried different combinations of cables and Power supplies (Amazon Alexa Dot, Samsung adaptive fast charging and an LG that is nearly identical to Homeys power supply) I finally got it to boot with the short thin cable connected to my computer. I also once succeeded in booting with the combination of the short lead and the LG power supply. But other times it just started the Yellow light animation, then stopped and restarted animation until steady Red Ring LED.

So as of now I can only boot it with the short lead connected to my Surface Pro.  Not very convenient...
  • New update:

Logged in to my homey (still Connected to my computer With a short USB lead).

Reset Z-Wave network. Then I intended to do a full reset. Turned Homey Upside Down and the reset procedure began. After inputting the key for my WiFi, the Yellow LED animation stopped and One red LED light up (Not the entire ring)

If I tries a restart it only light up one white LED on one side, regardless of combination of USB leads, computer or power supply...

• Yet another update…

10 minutes later it Works again connected to my computer With the short lead! I now managed to do a full factory reset.

If I use the original USB cable and Power supply, it only light up one white LED on one side. Using the short USB cable connecting to my Computer also light up one white LED a couple of Seconds before booting normaly.

Support contacted.

• And Yet another update...
    Homey left idling for more than 2,5 hours, still connected to USB on computer. Then Installed Sonos app.
    Homey Freezes immediately and goes offline when "OK Homey" command is spoken. Then it reboot after a couple of minutes.

• MbenzNo said:
    And Yet another update...
    Homey left idling for more than 2,5 hours, still connected to USB on computer. Then Installed Sonos app.
    Homey Freezes immediately and goes offline when "OK Homey" command is spoken. Then it reboot after a couple of minutes.

Why are you connecting Homey to the computer USB port? 
    Are. You developing or debugging?
    Normallny everyone should always use the provided USB power adapter.
  • My Homey would not boot powered from different USB power adapters, included the provided one. It was during fault investigation that I discovered that it would boot with a different USB lead from my computer USB port. I was hoping it was possible with some sort of recovery connected to a computer.
    My Homey will be returned for an exchange.