This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

OpenTherm Gateway

2»

Comments

• BE AWARE - THE OPENTHERM GATEWAY APP WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE ATHOM APP STORE SOON

As the z-wave of my Homey is broken and Athom support makes no effort to fix this, I've decided to take my Homey offline. It is useless in this state, also seen the slow progress of the core development in general.

With Homey offline I also cannot support my apps and have decided to remove these from the store.

For now the code is still available on GitHub (without support), so you could do a local install of it.
  • Pity it has to come to this. I am a very fond user of your OTGW app!
  • Same here Pity, use it every day
  • Hmpf, and now I can't use it anymore. Changed the IP of my ser2net box, can connect using putty just fine but the app doesn't find it anymore. Tried to use --run but that only shows "starting otgw"  and no debug messages whatsoever.. 
  • In 'node_modules/otg-api/index.js' set 'debugOn = true'.
  • DieterKoblenzDieterKoblenz Member
    edited September 2016
    RamonBaas said:
    In 'node_modules/otg-api/index.js' set 'debugOn = true'.
    Thanks, something is definitely wrong but not sure what. Now it seems to update values and insight but the correct values are not saved. Food for tomorrow. 
  • DieterKoblenzDieterKoblenz Member
    edited September 2016
    Hmm I still have the feeling I did something wrong when setting up ser2net after resetting my wireless OTGW... Can't seem to get it working with Domoticz too.. It sends outs values but It doesn't accept incoming values

Edit: fixed my own stupid config error, but indeed homey 0.10.0 broke this app :(

Doesn't find the gateway (actually it does, and it received updates) but doesn't say so in the settings page. 
    When adding thermostat it gives invalid capability error 3
  • Ok fixed that:

12:04:38.996 Starting search on 192.168.178.143:101 12:04:39.013 Connected to 192.168.178.143:101 12:04:39.013 Search attempt 1 12:04:40.014 Search attempt 2 12:04:40.122 Updating value of CHBoundaries to 90 0 12:04:41.015 Search attempt 3 12:04:41.103 Updating value of StatusCHEnabled to false 12:04:41.107 Updating value of StatusDHWEnabled to false 12:04:41.107 Updating value of StatusCoolEnabled to false 12:04:41.107 Updating value of StatusOTCActive to false 12:04:41.108 Updating value of StatusCH2Enabled to false 12:04:41.108 Updating value of StatusSummerWinter to false 12:04:41.108 Updating value of StatusDHWBlocked to false 12:04:41.109 Updating value of StatusFault to false 12:04:41.109 Updating value of StatusCHMode to false 12:04:41.109 Updating value of StatusDHWMode to false 12:04:41.115 Updating value of StatusFlame to false 12:04:41.118 Updating value of StatusCooling to false 12:04:41.119 Updating value of StatusCH2Mode to false 12:04:41.119 Updating value of StatusDiagnostic to false 12:04:42.030 Updating value of ControlSetpoint to 6 12:04:43.104 Updating value of RelativeModulationLevel to 0 12:04:44.115 Updating value of BoilerWaterTemperature to 49 12:04:50.003 Updating value of MaxRelativeModulationLevel to 100 Still says in Homey that it can't find the gateway..
  • So.. gone?
  • And it still works also on 1.0.0 ;)

Why not put it up in the Appstore?
  • Version 1.0.0 is available on GitHub.
  • Seems to work flawless! 
  • This app and the Visonic PowerMax App are back in the App store!! @RamonBaas does this mean you have started working on the apps again? That would be great news!
    I'm currently looking into the OpenTherm Gateway and your app looks amazing, you've really made quite an effort in developing this app and the detailed information provided with it!

If I choose to buy the parts for an OpenTherm Gateway then this would be my first project of this kind, so I could use some help...
    In one of the forum posts @RamonBaas said "I've replaced the 7805 by a dc-dc converter and included a USR-TCP232-T in the OTG." Is there any information on how you've build it exactly (maybe a shopping list and a tutorial of some kind? ;) )

I've found the following tutorial, this will get me in the right direction, but not all the way there...
    http://svdgraaf.nl/2014/04/01/Building-an-OpenTherm-gateway.html
  • Is there someone who can explain how to set up this opentherm gateway. I found the gateway on kiwi-electronics (USB en RS232 version) but it seems that you have to made some modifications to this board to connect this to homey. (adding a ethernet connection) What do I need to make this work? 
  • @Kay-Arne, @HarmLutjeboer You first need to decide what type of interface you want: wifi or cabled ethernet. If you want wifi, you can add an ESP8266. For wired ethernet I can recommend an USR-TCP232-T2. I am still looking for a cheap solution that has both wifi & LAN. Current;y building an OTG with an Onion Omega 2 (which has both) and looking into the Vocore2. SInce these are Linux based, you can let them run ser2net to transfer the serial data over ethernet.

As you will use the TTL signals, you can leave out the MAX232 and the 4 1uF capacitors (and the 10-pin header).

Either way, you'll need the 2A transformer (or 2.3A/2.8A in case of the Onion Omega) and the DC/DC converter as part of the OTG partlist.

If this is all to difficult, you can PM me and I might be able to assemble an OTG for you.
  • Any progress on the vocore2? Have one  with no use case at this moment
  • RamonBaasRamonBaas Member
    edited April 2017
    No, haven't received my vocore2 yet. But should be straightforward.
    (Guess what just arrived in the mail today :p)
  • @RamonBaas. I would like to make it connected by cabled ethernet for stability because I will place the OTG far away from the Wireless access point. I will send you a PM soon ;)
  • RamonBaas said:
    @Kay-Arne, @HarmLutjeboer You first need to decide what type of interface you want: wifi or cabled ethernet. If you want wifi, you can add an ESP8266. For wired ethernet I can recommend an USR-TCP232-T2. I am still looking for a cheap solution that has both wifi & LAN. Current;y building an OTG with an Onion Omega 2 (which has both) and looking into the Vocore2. SInce these are Linux based, you can let them run ser2net to transfer the serial data over ethernet.

As you will use the TTL signals, you can leave out the MAX232 and the 4 1uF capacitors (and the 10-pin header).

Either way, you'll need the 2A transformer (or 2.3A/2.8A in case of the Onion Omega) and the DC/DC converter as part of the OTG partlist.

If this is all to difficult, you can PM me and I might be able to assemble an OTG for you.
    So, if I'm right..

Order on conrad:
    Al the thing from the partlist. Left out the max 232, 4x 1uF capacitors, the 10 pin connectorts, and the transformer. Then add the transformer from 2,8 amp and the DC/DC converter.

Order the (empty) PCB for the open gateway on Kiwi-electronics 

Order the USR-TCP232-T2 on for ex. Ali Espress.

Putting it all together won't be a problem for me. After assembling it all, what is then te next step? What needs to be program and how. 
  • @HarmLutjeboer If you use the USR-TCP232-T2 you can better take the 2A transformer (is lower). You can also leave out the 16 pin IC fitting BTW.

You'll either need a PIC programmer (e.g. PICkit 3) or buy a pre-programmed PIC.
  • Hey,

I've been using this app for quite some time now and I really like it. Today I deleted all my insights from Homey because it became unworkable and I noticed at OTGW logs every (tiny .xx) change in temperature. 

Personally I would prefer an option to log temperature every hour or so instead of every change as this means that I have 4 data points in two minutes which really is too much.
  • There are two options of loggin with the OTG. One is that Homey by default logs values that are available on mobile cards. Each data update sent by the boiler or thermostat is displayed on the mobile card and logged by Insights. You could ask Athom for an option to reduce data points there. The other one is witht the separate app setting, for values that are not displayed. In principle an option could be added to log those less frequently, although I'm not in favour of that. You could throw away spikes or need to start averaging. Should be core functionality if you ask me.
  • RamonBaasRamonBaas Member
    edited December 2017
    For the latest info, please have a look at the forum app page.
  • @RamonBaas the forum app page you are refereing too gives me "Discussion not found." at the moment.
    But https://github.com/nlrb/com.tclcode.otgw works for me now.