This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Voice command

Hi,

Im considering buying a Homey, but Im still not sure as of the language situation, as I dont speak English on a regular basis it would be unnatural for me to use it to give command when Im home. So my question is, is the app intuitive enough to use without voice commands, and is it worth it? 

Im just assuming that Norwegian is not in the plans in the near future.

Comments

• Hi Sweden here! 

I'm not using the voice part very often but can say that homey deliver a nice experience...  good apps and great community!  

Of you need more info hör av dig!   :)

Ha det bra!   
  • I don't use the speech much, it is an awesome device even without speech.
  • Thanks! I suppose you can add your own voice commands, so have you tested if you add a command in Swedish and see if Homey understands what you say?
  • Homey uses external speech recognition engines to convert speech to text. Those work specifically for english or dutch, depending on what language you chose in Homey's settings (and, to be honest, often this is quite unreliable even for those two languages). I seriously doubt that those speech-to-text engines will correctly recognize Swedish words.
  • JschuetzJschuetz Member
    edited April 2017
    To be honest, play with the new openhab2 stable release before you buy one new device. Sonos & harmony support is so much better and you can enable Alexa/Siri very easy. Homey is good for easy flows but often I missing a easy rules editor with while,else,or and other statements. So sometimes it is complexed than a easy flow in openhab. 
    For example:

when it harmonyactivity changed to Fernsehen or changed to Netflix or changed to PlayStation then sendcommand
    End

homey needs 3 flows for this!! And this is only a easy example. 

• Jschuetz said:
    To be honest, play with the new openhab2 stable release before you buy one new device. Sonos & harmony support is so much better and you can enable Alexa/Siri very easy. Homey is good for easy flows but often I missing a easy rules editor with while,else,or and other statements. 

I see, but I think I read something in a thread that Else/or is right around the corner so I'm not really concerned with that right now.

But will I be able to use a Norwegian version of Siri to communicate with Homey? Or did I completely misunderstand you?

• JschuetzJschuetz Member
    edited April 2017
    Jschuetz said:
    To be honest, play with the new openhab2 stable release before you buy one new device. Sonos & harmony support is so much better and you can enable Alexa/Siri very easy. Homey is good for easy flows but often I missing a easy rules editor with while,else,or and other statements. 

I see, but I think I read something in a thread that Else/or is right around the corner so I'm not really concerned with that right now.

But will I be able to use a Norwegian version of Siri to communicate with Homey? Or did I completely misunderstand you?

Only if you are using openhab with homey. And then you need a on and off flow for every device which you will control with homey and Siri/Alexa.