This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[suggestion] Developer workshop?

Hi guys, 

I have been struggling with this idea for a while now and I wanted to know if people are interested. 
Personally, I think the power of Homey has a big part to do with the community and that it is open source.

I have a background in scripting (primarly using Powershell) but almost 0 in Javascript (did follow the code acadamy tutorial <span>:smile:</span>) and the frustrating thing for me right now is that I (think) have some pretty cool ideas for new apps but I don't know how to start making them myself. 
I did read the manual for making your first app on Homey but if you do not have any experience with Javascript this can be a bit overwhelming at first. 

Some examples of apps I have in mind:
- Grocery shopping list
- Commands to PC (for example if you say: Ok Homey, turn everything off, that it will put my PC in sleeping mode.)
- Notes/To-Do (I found out that this can be done with IFTTT, but a native Homey app seems better, no delay etc). 
- Android agenda app (Ok Homey, what are my appointments today? Make an agenda item for saturday...)
- Trim string (Ok Homey, will you add HAM to the shopping list -> Trims will you add, to the shopping list so that only Ham comes on the list). 
- Better calendar app (Like the triggers in Windows task scheduler, first friday of the week/month, only these week numbers etc). 

So I was thinking... maybe there are developers who have the time, knowledge and the will to teach people how to start making their own apps so that Homey can become bigger and bigger. 

What do you guys think?

Kind regards,
Dennis

Comments