This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

speech of course

I bought my homey two years ago and received a little more then one year ago.
voice recognition is still bad.
Now athom puts effort in making Alexa  as an input device for voice , I guess homey will not be made a better voice receiver in the near future. There for and because I still use my Domoticz ((z-wave and rflink) as a domotica central, I think it is time to trade my homey against a few Dot Echo 2.
Anybody interested?

Comments

• casedacaseda Member
    edited March 2017
    Amazon echo and in the future Google home are Extensions meant for other room control of homey (like a second microphone) and will not became the main drive

I guess you aren't following the forum or slack much since they "already" made improvements on speech in 1.2.x and are keeping on improving it which should become easier with the new parser of 1.2.x
    (and you're only the 3th starting post about speech these 2 weeks...) 

But i guess you already made up your mind now anyway. 
  • @caseda
    I follow the forum for as long as it excist, and the complaints about voice are huge.
    the improvement for 1.2.x are just a promise, I have seen more promises, I am on the beta channel but no updates. latets update 25 days ago.
    The already made several "improvements" to the voice but it is not getting any better.
    the update blog from last night again does not touch the subject.

So yes, you can say: I already made up my mind.. 
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Member
    edited March 2017
    You are in the bèta but 1.2 is in the alpha, called dev preview. It''s there now for almost two weeks that I run 1.2 (last night we got 1.2 RC6). When it''s stable it comes to experimental. As stated in the updates from Athom. If you would follow the forum/slack you would know that i guess? Also why make another topic when there are other active topics where you could respond?

Sad to see you go Homey but i would say if you made up your mind already but remember a dot can't replace homey it's only a extension. Using two dot's with my homey and working great to talk to Homey from upstairs where only dot is. 
  • @lubbertkramer
    Why is Athom not giving the beta channel a try when they are already at rc6. 
    Can you give an objective review of the voice recognition in 1.2
  • Because it's not stable (but looks promising) at the moment and otherwise lots of topics will be opened with complains. You may say i'm on experimental for that but some are there just because they want new features, ignore the warning and complain it's not stable. 

Made a video with Alexa lately and last voice command is a direct command to Homey. If you want i can make another video with only commands to Homey. 

Homey skill for Alexa (homey on 1.2 rc4):
    - First select active Homey (have 3 homey's under my control, Kitt is the Homey you see)

- Turn on all lights (standard flow) - Ask Homey to say Hello (custom flow with logic card)  

- Turn off all lights - Turn on lights in kitchen (light in view is not in kitchen but in bedroom zone, placed for test)

- Turn on lights in bedroom ( light in view is in bedroom zone, placed for test)

- Turn off all lights - Direct question at Homey asking turning lights on in bedroom

• thanks for the answer and the clip.
    In your opinion will 1.2 be acceptable to use (without Alexa) ?
    is there a way I can get on de dev firmware?
  • Well made a fast and short video with just the simple command turn on/off the lights while the song was playing instrumental and later with voice. Music is coming from the Alexa next to Homey. Speech in 1.2 has been improved i must say, some in dev preview confirm this while there are also reports of problems with speech (30 people in dev preview. If you want in it you need to contact Athom, we could sign up for it at the Athom day in Enschede november 2016.

• I waited for 1.2 to see if voice will improve.
    but no. Someone willing to trade my homey for a few Alexa Dot Echo 2's ?
  • I have sold my homey because i have waiting to long for reliable speech recognition, presence detection and z wave (fibaro motion sensors). 3 months ago i bought samsung smartthings in combination with google home and that combination works much and much better for me. 

• spamenigmaspamenigma Member
    edited March 2017
    Using 1.20 rc9 and speech recognition is dreadful still. Speaking English, no discernible accent that could be accepted as causing unrecognisable words or phrases. Simply testing to turn on heating and it thinks I'm saying various things other than the word heating. After 13 months I'd have thought this would have improved but even with the suggestion 1.2x brings improvement to speech recognition... for me its useless still.
  • dhanstede said:
    I have sold my homey because i have waiting to long for reliable speech recognition, presence detection and z wave (fibaro motion sensors). 3 months ago i bought samsung smartthings in combination with google home and that combination works much and much better for me. 

Where are you live? Are you using the uk version?
  • Jschuetz said:
    dhanstede said:
    I have sold my homey because i have waiting to long for reliable speech recognition, presence detection and z wave (fibaro motion sensors). 3 months ago i bought samsung smartthings in combination with google home and that combination works much and much better for me. 

Where are you live? Are you using the uk version?

I live in the netherlands and i am using the uk version of smartthings.