This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Connect Fibaro Dimmer 2 module with only L (fase) at switch

edited March 2017 in Off-Topic
Hi all,

I've got a question regarding the Fibaro Dimmer 2 and can't seem to find a definitive answer on the internet.

The situation is as follows: I've got a Fibaro Dimmer 2 module that I want to connect to a lamp. But I've only got the fasedraad (L) and schakeldraad (T) available at the switch. The positive thing is that I do have three wires available at the lamp: fase, nul and the schakeldraad (L, N and T). Now the question.. how do I connect them.. I've made four drawings, the first one is a sketch of the situation.

And I know the 'easy' solution would be to get either two schakeldraden to the switch, or to get the nul and fase available at the switch. But this isn't an option for this old house with stuffed pipes :(

1: Nul (N), available at lamp only
2: Fase (L), connected as input of switch, also seperately available at lamp
3: Schakeldraad (T), connected as output of switch and available at lamp

Below, option 1.

Connect the L and N with the L and N on the Fibaro Dimmer.
Connect the Schakel with S1.
Leave S2 and Sx empty.

Below, option 2.

Leave S2 empty.
Connect Sx with N wire.

Below, option 3.

Leave S2 empty.
Connect Sx with outgoing wire to the lamp (so in the end this connects to the N wire as well, no difference with option 2?).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• When schakeldraad is not available at the switch, how did u put the light on before?
  • Oops, ment that I have the Fase (L) and a schakeldraad (T) available at the switch of course :) Updated the text of the post!
  • casedacaseda Member
    edited March 2017

so these drawings doesn't seem relevant enough for your situation?
    it's in the manual :smile:
  • If the light is located at a "centraaldoos" it may be easier to install the dimmer 2 there.  (Depending on how much space you have available in the centraaldoos or lamp enclosure.)
  • edited March 2017
    @Caseda, thanks, but those diagrams assume that the incoming and outgoing wire to the light switch are both connected to the dimmer. In my scenario the incoming wire of the light switch is the Fase (L) and the outgoing wire is the schakeldraad (T) which I want to connect to the Dimmer 2.

@Lonkai, that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve. But I don't know how. As I'm not able to get an extra wire from the 'centraaldoos' to the light switch.

I added two extra drawings, in the hope to clarify things a bit more. The first is the current situation without the dimmer connected. The second is the new situation (with the dimmer 2 at the centraaldoos). but without the 'schakeldraad' connected. If this can't be done, then that's an answer as well.. but this should be possible right?

• @MrDutchfighterthat is Exactly how the left drawing is working, the fase goes to the dimmer

Sx (to the switch) gets 230 volts when you have a fase connected to the input (required)
    Which is why s1 and s2 (both optional) work this way

the "schakeldraad" is the wire between the dimmer and the light
    And the null of the dimmer is connected to Sx since you don't have the null wire in your switch box. 

It had everything you require without having to pull any new wires and only works with the dimmer 2
  • In my experience the L and T at the switch both originate from the same centraaldoos where the light is located. If you disconnect the L that goes to the switch from the L bundle you have two wires (T + a dead L) between the switch and the dimmer. Two wires is all you need to connect S1 (T) and Sx (dead L) and detect signal from the switch.

You then connect L and N directly to the L and N bundles to power the dimmer. Finally a wire from the dimmer's output to the lamp.
  • And then a pulsdrukker and ur set to go!
  • OGSOGS Member
    I mounted the dimmer-1 in the ceiling with a L, N , pulse switch (T) at S1 and the lamp at the output, without using Sx and S2, I found the drawings somewhere on the internet and it works fine.
  • Thanks for all the answers, I will try them when I'm at my brothers place again next week.

I'm glad the wiring in my house was more convenient :)
  • @MrDutchfighter; will this help: 

• GeniusXL83GeniusXL83 Member
    edited October 2017
    Ik heb vanmiddag geprobeerd om een fibaro dimmer 2 te plaatsen achter de lichtschakerlaar. Hierbij heb ik bovenstaand filmpje gevolgd. Het aansluiten ging zonder problemen. Op het moment dat ik de stroom er weer opzet staat de lamp direct aan en flikkert een beetje. De schakelaar werkt vervolgens niet meer...en als ik de schakelaar aan en uit zet dan flikkert de lamp nog meer. Ik kan de dimmer gewoon toevoegen in Homey.

Heeft iemand een idee waar het aan kan liggen?

Sorry! I did'nt realise I posted in the english part :-D

This afternoom i tried to connect the fibaro dimmer 2 behind the switch. I follewed  the instruction in the  movie above. After putting the electrisiti back on the light keeps shining and flashing. The switch doesn't work anymore....when i try to switch the light on or off the light keeps flashing.  I can pair the dimmer into homey.

Is there somebody who has any idea what the problem can be?

• If you connected the dimmer and turn on the power supply you have to wait for a minute or so. The dimmer will initialise itself (going from off to brighter), to set the correct min and Max power it can provide to the lamp. The dimmer works best with 15W or higher connected to it. When using less wattage a bypass 2 is advised.

Another reason for the flickering can be that the lamp itself isn't dimmable.